shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever googled yourself? Looked up Whitepages?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I went car shopping with my teen this past weekend, and was appalled by the treatment by one of the dealerships we visited. They were interrogating me like a common criminal, questioning my responses with regards to my employment, home ownership etc, despite telling them I'm not financing, and planning to pay cash.

This led me to "google" myself to find out why I seemed so untrustworthy to that dealership. I was appalled to find out that quite a few of the people search or white page search engines have all kinds of incorrect information on me! These sites show that I have criminal/traffic records, past residences and relatives that don't belong to me! My plan is to call each of these sites and have my information completely removed. Not sure what else I can do? This is defamation in the highest form!

Anyway, my PSA of the day. If you have not looked yourself up, you should do so....especially if you have a common name like mine!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have done so. It seems there's no records on me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have Googled myself and unfortunately some of it is still incorrectly showing I have lived in states I’ve never even been to. This is residual effects of ID theft I had to deal with years ago. Make sure you pull your credit reports regularly! That’s how I found out someone had opened utilities in my name that were in collections!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have Googled myself and unfortunately some of it is still incorrectly showing I have lived in states I’ve never even been to. This is residual effects of ID theft I had to deal with years ago. Make sure you pull your credit reports regularly! That’s how I found out someone had opened utilities in my name that were in collections!

Yes, I have blocks and locks with all 3 major credit reporting bureaus because of fears on identity theft.

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can pay services like DeleteMe to remove you from many address sites, etc. if there is a desire to be more anonymous (although I’m sure there is still info to be found after these services do their thing as it’s the web after all!).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I googled myself and all I found was a pic of my body.

a58s.jpg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first name is the same as my husband's first wife and although she remarried, she kept my husband's last name. Although we usually include our middle initial to try to keep things less confusing, our info is a mashup where all the places we've both lived appear in each others listings as well as the names of all of our relatives.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This led me to "google" myself to find out why I seemed so untrustworthy to that dealership.

They couldn't care less who you are -- they just need to make a sale. I think you overestimate these folks and their commission-based jobs.

OTOH, if you were at the Ferrari or Astin shop, you might have a point since there are so many lookie-loos they can not waste their time.

I do think they look at what you drive up in. I was upgrading from an ancient, high-mileage CR-V (our "adventure car" -- and it looked the part) to a too-nice off-lease import and I could tell they did not take me seriously. Fast-forward a few years: when I pull up in my now-old but well-maintained import, they seem to take me seriously -- t-shirt and jeans notwithstanding.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I have never googled myself and I don't even remember what the white pages are haha. And I have zero intention of ever googling myself. No good can come of that IMO. :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 5.13.59 AM.png

Though I will add @jaysonsmom I am sorry this happened to you and it was good you found out so you can correct it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have blocks and locks with all 3 major credit reporting bureaus because of fears on identity theft.

Same here. I don't remember when we did this...a few years ago and while sometimes it is a pain (having to verify our identity for certain doctor/hopsitals etc) it is well worth the peace of mind.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I do think they look at what you drive up in. I was upgrading from an ancient, high-mileage CR-V (our "adventure car" -- and it looked the part) to a too-nice off-lease import and I could tell they did not take me seriously. Fast-forward a few years: when I pull up in my now-old but well-maintained import, they seem to take me seriously -- t-shirt and jeans notwithstanding.

Yes, I totally believe that, which is why we drove my other's kid's car (2009 Iexus IS) to go car shopping. I wasn't going to have a used car salesman try to up sell and gouge every penny from me in my late model fancy import.

I am a successful doctor in Canada
(Obviously not actually me

What a coincidence, I'm also an incredible doctor or researcher that gets published in scientific and medical journals several times a year! I could be one of several doctors and researchers in fact. My name is THAT COMMON!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funnily enough, I googled myself just last night and found that a so-called friend, who has a long history of being difficult, had used my name back in 2012 to promote a client of hers, without my permission! There was a quote from "me", my full first and last name, my city, and a fake occupation. Why didn't she just make up a name? Why use mine? I sent her a screengrab of it and told her off! I only keep her around because we go way back and because she's one of the last links to my home town, and when I go back we have a catch-up dinner. Sometimes she's good company but she's a pain in the ass more often than not. But it's still hard to cut off people you've known for almost 25 years.

So yeah, you should google yourself occasionally!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, I totally believe that, which is why we drove my other's kid's car (2009 Iexus IS) to go car shopping. I wasn't going to have a used car salesman try to up sell and gouge every penny from me in my late model fancy import.

What a coincidence, I'm also an incredible doctor or researcher that gets published in scientific and medical journals several times a year! I could be one of several doctors and researchers in fact. My name is THAT COMMON!

My first name is as common as mud in my age group but i have an uncommon sir name in this country
we are related to everyone of our name in the phone book
but on moving up to Wellington i was none too pleased to find anothet NW on the books at my then chemist !
Don't think she had Mary as a middle name
I guess she must have been some off spring of Grandad's cousins

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I google my name I'm either a lawyer, a therapist, insurance agent, or a crime victim. None of these is me.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lol that's incredible, I just looked at the white pages and there are pages of people with my name. I had no idea, kind of funny. I don't know if I'd be able to find identity theft my name seems to be too common. I actually mostly come to the top of the Google searches on my name (i think google must have scraped something and created a Google person side bar for me. I find it a bit mysterious as I didn't have any part in it's creation. And I'm also not that high profile so I keep looking at it a bit quizicaly thinking umm...? There must be some algorithm that decides who to profile based on key words, and every once in a while I wonder about it/what'll happen when those key words change.).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my late partner died, I was interviewed by a local newspaper and my name appeared in their news articles about his death and obituary.

My name and profile would also come up via LinkedIn search.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results