shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you ever done or considered permanent makeup?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone ever had permanent makeup done?

I'm not a very hairy person and have to pencil my eyebrows in every day. They never look the same as each other and never
look the same two days in a row. I googled around for some pics and a lot of the permanent eye-brows I saw looked pretty good.
Some looked very natural and others had a more made-up look. I was thinking I would want something in between. I also looked
at permanent eye-brow liner. I hate putting on mascara and eye-liner would help give me a little more definition.

Just wondering if anyone has ever had it done? Were you happy with it? How has it aged? AND, did it hurt?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My friend who has been cancer free for 4 years had this done. Twice actually, as it does fade over time. Truthfully, it doesn't look good (on her anyway), but I am not sure if she should also been penciling in her eyebrows to make it look like browhairs rather than a marker line above her eyes. The eyeliner also makes her eyes look quite small.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine recently got her eyebrows tattooed and they look fantastic. I think the outcome just depends on who you go to. She researched and went with the practice with the best reviews and she was very happy.

Her eyebrows look completely natural. If she hadn't told me that she got them done I would have never guessed. (She also has very light eyebrows so would pencil them in every day.) They were a little dark at first but have since lightened up, which is exactly what the tattooist told her.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Great timing, tyty! I was debating about starting a thread about permanent makeup because I just got my eyebrows done 2 weeks ago and LOVE IT! I overplucked over the years and have been filling in my brows with powder. I think I look older with thin brows and couldn't even see my brows when I'm at yoga or swimming.
I think permanent makeup has come a long way and mine look natural, but better ;)) . I got mine filled with a technique called SofTap. It's a manual hand held tool that's shaped like a pen. Needles gently insert pigment into the dermal layer of the skin. There's no electrical device, noise or vibration. She basically used strokes to fill my eyebrows in rather than dots, if that makes sense? The ink will fade over a couple years, so touch ups are necessary.
I highly recommend it and my sister just got eyebrows done a couple days ago. If anybody is interested in the East Bay, I can give you her information.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread. I have considered this myself bc I have to pencil them every day. I havent done it yet bc I am afraid. Maybe now is the time!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
My mom had it done and it doesn't look so good ten years later. The color has faded to look like a tattoo. Your face changes a lot with the aging process and through these changes, the tattoos change with them. I would not let a tattoo makeup artist near my eyes for eyeliner. I would only consider them for your eyebrows

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tigian|1308781990|2952316 said:
Great timing, tyty! I was debating about starting a thread about permanent makeup because I just got my eyebrows done 2 weeks ago and LOVE IT! I overplucked over the years and have been filling in my brows with powder. I think I look older with thin brows and couldn't even see my brows when I'm at yoga or swimming.
I think permanent makeup has come a long way and mine look natural, but better ;)) . I got mine filled with a technique called SofTap. It's a manual hand held tool that's shaped like a pen. Needles gently insert pigment into the dermal layer of the skin. There's no electrical device, noise or vibration. She basically used strokes to fill my eyebrows in rather than dots, if that makes sense? The ink will fade over a couple years, so touch ups are necessary.
I highly recommend it and my sister just got eyebrows done a couple days ago. If anybody is interested in the East Bay, I can give you her information.

Where are the pics!!! So glad they turned out well and you love them. I think this is one of the techniques I read about. It
cost a little more to get done but is a more natural look.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heraanderson|1308784749|2952351 said:
My mom had it done and it doesn't look so good ten years later. The color has faded to look like a tattoo. Your face changes a lot with the aging process and through these changes, the tattoos change with them. I would not let a tattoo makeup artist near my eyes for eyeliner. I would only consider them for your eyebrows

I did read that you have to go back every so often and have them re-colored because the color fades. I am a little worried about
drooping though. Maybe if I have them put 1/2 inch above my current barely there brows then in 10 years they'll be just where
I need them minus the plastic surgery :lol: !

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I have had my eyeliner (top and bottom) done twice and my lip line with a blend done once.
My eyes only lasted about 18 months and has faded to nothing now. I guess this can be seen as a positive because who wants to wear the same look for 20 years?

My mum (who will be 67 this year) is a convert and has been having various things tattooed for the last 12 years. She has her eyeliner, lipliner and eyebrows done on her face. She has also had the scars on her chest from a breast reduction done to make them blend better and they look really good.

I think it depends on who you go to. My mum goes to a lady who practices only in cosmetic tattooing she's won quite a few international awards for her eyebrow work. It looks quite amazing.

And yeah it hurts. The eyeliner especially! I would imaging the brows would not be that bad. Well it's not that it's an excruciating pain or anything, it's more the constant feeling of a needle going ........................................................ Into your eyeline.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
When ever anyone shows photos of beautiful tattoos, they never show any old beautiful tattoos. I have never seen an old tattoo that looks good so I can't imagine having anything done to my face. Skin gets old, sags, wrinkles and styles change. Today dark lips are in but watch a movie from the 60s and everyone wanted pale lips. They sold white lipstick. There were skinny eyebrows and then thick. How can you be sure a permanent make-up tattoo will look good in 30 years?

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Did it hurt - hurt is relative to the person. Getting a certain area pierced hurt, getting a tattoo was just annoying (same with the eyebrows)

The ink the gal used didn't take and kept fading within a month. It took four times and going very dark before I ended up with a medium brown. The medium brown has now faded into a terrible reddish color and it's only been two years. If given the choice I wouldn't do it again. Too costly and it faded far to quickly for it to be worth the money and effort. My coworker also had hers done while she was going through chemo and hers took three times before the color looked right. Luckily hers has not faded and still looks the same shade as when she had it done. She went to a different gal than I did. Based on those two experiences I would not recommend it to another person.

eta: my understanding from speaking with several salons that permanent makeup is not a tattoo. It does not penetrate the skin as deeply as a tattoo and is expected to fade and wear within a handful of years.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Yep, eyebrows and liner about 8 years ago-still happy.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What happens to people's natural eyebrows?

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
If you overpluck them, one day they just won't grow back! :)

I also don't consider the permanent makeup to be like a tattoo, the inks they use are different and it doesn't go deep enough into the skin. Depending on what products you use it can make it wear off quicker as well.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
I have considered it. I have a big scar that runs up the middle of one of my brows, no hair grows on it so I have to pencil it everyday, and I feel uncomfortable without makeup. It's the one thing I would love to change about my face.

I would really love to see some photos.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Consider this - the skin of your face is extremely delicate, and sheds more quickly than most other parts of your body. You will constantly be touching it up, it will look TERRIBLE if you let it go too long (even black eventually turns a reddish color, when on your face), and when you get old and your eyebrows naturally thin out, the tattoo will be super visible. I would never do this.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
How timely! My MIL just got permanent eyeliner done.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Tacori E-ring|1308835557|2952837 said:

Does it look nice? I'm intrigued. I'd never heard of this before I opened the thread! Well, eyebrow tattoos, but not lips or eye makeup.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1308838040|2952856 said:
Tacori E-ring|1308835557|2952837 said:

Does it look nice? I'm intrigued. I'd never heard of this before I opened the thread! Well, eyebrow tattoos, but not lips or eye makeup.

They usually look really nice for awhile, a couple months, though they are usually too dark right after you do them. (It takes about a week or two to "set" nicely.) Then they fade...quickly.

Browse on the net for some pictures. You'll see what I mean. There is also a thread on the Etsy forums about this. LOTS of complaints.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My MIL and SIL get their eyebrows done regularly. The first couple weeks, they are super dark and look unnatural. As the color fades, they look ok. I think they touch up every year.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Interesting! The pictures out there of the freshly done eyeliner look really nice for the most part, but the quality is variable. I guess as with anything cosmetic, the skill of the person applying it is the main determining factor in the outcome. Some of them are really beautiful, but a fair few of them are heavier looking -what I'd think of as evening makeup. Not sure that would be for me (although it's really nice on some of the photos I found).

I haven't found any disaster pics yet - I'll keep looking!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I had my eyebrows done, and 18 months later it's faded a lot. but the affect was natural, and painless, and I'd do it all over again. Now I wake up, and i actually have eyebrows (I don't over pluck, I've always had faint eyebrows), and when I swim I don't have to worry about my eyebrows coming off.

I has faded to the point to where I DO need to pencil it in if I'm going out at night or taking pictures with flash...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have considered it, on and off. When I was little I scarred myself over the eyelid, and the scar lost pigmentation. According to my dermatologist some people just have a tendency to lose pigment when they scar.. I've put makeup on it every morning since I was eight years old.

My consistent choice is No, for two reasons -

1. It's hard enough finding makeup that is a perfect match in colour, what if the tattooist gets it wrong? What if it fades oddly? Years and years later it takes me all of thirty seconds to conceal every morning, so the draw is really in having something I won't have to worry about whilst swimming and sweating, but I'm terrified they'll screw it up and there won't be an easy fix.

2. In my case - there is a constant threat of losing pigment any time I scar. Given that this sort of procedure is unarguably traumatic on the skin - I might just wind up making a not-so-big-problem a whole lot worse.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
MonkeyPie|1308834805|2952830 said:
Consider this - the skin of your face is extremely delicate, and sheds more quickly than most other parts of your body. You will constantly be touching it up, it will look TERRIBLE if you let it go too long (even black eventually turns a reddish color, when on your face), and when you get old and your eyebrows naturally thin out, the tattoo will be super visible. I would never do this.

I so totally agree with this. I would never do it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister has, and a Medical Technologist that I used to work with also had the same procedure done ( permanent tatoo eyeliners both top and bottom) and I've considered for myself a time or two. My sister's look like they are just "extra" lashes just filler type mascara and looks really good on her, she hardly uses any liner to touch up.
The Medical Technologist was in her late forties early fifties and her eye lids are drooping a bit, and I can tell that its unnatural. When I see my sister's lids, I so want to get it done years ago like she did, but then I have to remind myself of gravity and what could happen 20-30 years down the road as your skin is not so supple anymore ;( , its not super pretty :sick: I have a tatoo where the sun don't shine and I'm not really looking forward to seeing what it looks like 10-30 years down the road either :-o

tigian

Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1308849504|2953028 said:
Doesnt anyone want to show any pictures??? :bigsmile:

This is the site I was looking at. You can use the pulldown to look at pictures or just go through the pictures one by one.
I like the hairline stroke technique.
http://www.permanent-makeup-by-renee.com/portfolio-1.html
Hey, tyty. I'm going to ask the women who did my brows for a before and after picture. Hopefully I'll have them soon so you can see.
Here is a link of pictures done by the person who did my brows. http://prettypleasestudio.com/photos_2.html

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tigian|1308862386|2953264 said:
tyty333|1308849504|2953028 said:
Doesnt anyone want to show any pictures??? :bigsmile:

This is the site I was looking at. You can use the pulldown to look at pictures or just go through the pictures one by one.
I like the hairline stroke technique.
http://www.permanent-makeup-by-renee.com/portfolio-1.html
Hey, tyty. I'm going to ask the women who did my brows for a before and after picture. Hopefully I'll have them soon so you can see.
Here is a link of pictures done by the person who did my brows. http://prettypleasestudio.com/photos_2.html

Most of those looked very natural (not the magic marker look). Cant wait to see your pics. I have to go goggle to see if there
is anyone around here that is good at doing it. Not sure if I have the nerve to get it done but might as well look into it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've never considered it and don't think I ever will. I love piercings and tattoos, but not on my face.

I just looked at that Timeless Beauty by Renee website and I have to say that all those corrections are frightening! The brush stroke look is definitely more natural looking, in my opinion.

I think it's cool that they can reshape the lips using the permanent makeup, but in some cases it just looks so unnatural.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results