helltotheno.gif

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't even like waves on a lake when I am kayaking. :lol-2:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nightmares about that sort of thing, and I was raised on lakes and have been in every kind of boat.

Q

Queenie60

No thanks!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Personally I have never run anything over about 25 feet. My son has done much more, but decided after one of his friends pancaked his landing and shortened his back by 1/4 inch or so that it was silly to risk so much.

Now that he is a dad he is more conservative with his kayaking, for which his mother, his wife and I are all grateful! ;)2

Here is a picture of me on about a 22 footer,

WATERFAL.JPG

And my son on the White Salmon,

WHTSALMN.JPG

And me going down a sliding drop with a path through the flowers, this one is a lot of fun with no risk of getting hurt... (This was actually my avatar in my early years on Pricescope.)

GRASSw.jpg

Wink

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a new show called extreme rescues and the first story is about a failed 80 foot kayak fall with head trauma/dead/ assumed revived since there is a show about it. There was a sneak peak and the guy was purple. They both wore go pros.

They had hiked 4 hours in New Zealand to get to the falls.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I have never run anything over about 25 feet. My son has done much more, but decided after one of his friends pancaked his landing and shortened his back by 1/4 inch or so that it was silly to risk so much.

Now that he is a dad he is more conservative with his kayaking, for which his mother, his wife and I are all grateful! ;)2

Here is a picture of me on about a 22 footer,

WATERFAL.JPG

And my son on the White Salmon,

WHTSALMN.JPG

And me going down a sliding drop with a path through the flowers, this one is a lot of fun with no risk of getting hurt... (This was actually my avatar in my early years on Pricescope.)

GRASSw.jpg

Wink

Incredible! What...fun??

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We watched the trailer for the extreme rescue show. I was amazed that someone would take that risk. I am assuming the guy lived but my husband watching it said 'that is a dead body'. He has seen quite a few in his line of work.

I can't imagine someone taking such a risk.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Incredible! What...fun??

Absolutely. Fun, exciting and never the same twice. Learning to work with the water, not against it, and getting to where you need to be, unbelievably rewarding. I started relatively late in my life, compared to many, and can still go, although the rivers I go on now are much less challenging than those I did as a younger man. (I have been kayaking for more than 40 years now.) My son I got started when he was about thirteen. Heck he is in his mid forties now and has his whole family rafting and kayaking with him.

He is a much better kayaker than I ever was and I love to watch him when I can. It is a lifetime sport as the water is soft and when you work with the water there is not strain or pain at the end of the day.

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink even kayacked right outside his old office.
One of the funniest pics ever posted to ps!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink even kayaked right outside his old office.
One of the funniest pics ever posted to ps!

You mean this one?

floating-down-mainstreet.jpg

A major water main broke up the street. I had my kayak in the truck to go kayaking after work, so I decided to kayak in the street, just to say I had. I had enough water to paddle across the grass and into the window well of the basement of my building. When I tapped the window fairly hard, I realized that breaking the window would not only allow much more water into the basement, but would also most likely decapitate me as I went at great speed into the broken window. I paddled back out into the street where my silliness was captured by Channel 2 and went national on the wire services.

To this day, I have the first, and only, known descent of Main Street in Boise, Idaho in a kayak...

Todd Grey of Nice Ice even drove to town just to meet the crazy kayaker. ;)2

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink yes that one!!!!! For some reason I find it tremendously funny and can not look at it without laughing.
The look on the cops face is priceless.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink you've got me dying over here :lol-2:

If you want we can tow you out to the continental shelf here for a day paddle :lol:

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No to the picture, but I've always wanted to learn to kayak.... part of my issue now is the fact that I live in the desert, so not a lot of water to kayak in, but maybe some day :D

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink you've got me dying over here :lol-2:

If you want we can tow you out to the continental shelf here for a day paddle :lol:

Is there good surfing there, or just a long paddle home? Not too much interested in a long paddle.

I had some great surfing on the coast of Chile, that can be a lot of fun, and when the waves get gnarly, absolutely terrifying.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results