shape
carat
color
clarity

have to pick by monday..help!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mwoo

Rough_Rock
hi all,
please help me choose from three ekati diamonds. i prefer the princess over the round. i realize however that for the same price i lose in size appearance, which is important to me since i have large hands. so if the princess being a mm smaller will make a big difference then i will go for the round. need your opinions.
ok here is the info i have about the choices (all are similar in price)
-1.03 carat princess, H, VVS1, IGI, table 76%, no fluor, no culet, medium to sl thick girdle and the dimensions are 5.3x5.47x4.3
-1.23 carat princess, H, VS1, IGI, table 73%, No fluor, No culet, Thin-Sl. Thick girdle, 5.77x5.64x4.36
-1.02 carat brilliant round, I, VS1, depth 62.3%, table 57%, polish and symetry are excellent, no fluor, no culet, thin to sl thick girdle, GIA and 6.43x6.51x4.03
i would appreciate your thoughts.

cheers,
may

Tek

Rough_Rock
I am no princess cut expert, but I'll offer what I can. I have been to many B&M stores to view the differences between VVS1 and VS1 in round diamonds. I can't honestly see any difference with my eye. I have to use a loupe to do so. With that in mind, you are paying a premium for the H, VVS1. Personally, I'd go for the H, VS1 which is larger in carat size. No one will see the difference betweeen the VS1 and VVS1 clarity, but they will certainly see the size difference.

Just my 2 cents.

Rank Amateur

Brilliant_Rock
To me, the big tables and the IGI certs make the princesses less desirable, but I'd say if it's between these three, place them side by side and see which one shouts to you the loudest!

mwoo

Rough_Rock
thanks for the feedback. unfortunately i must buy the diamonds sight unseen because i now live in chile and it would cost me a small fortune to fly to north america to see them. the large table is what concerns me about the princesses that are being offered and that is why i chose a round as a back-up. any other thoughts on the specs of the diamonds would be great...esp as to whether i need to be concerned that the 1.23 princess may crack or chip.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Both princess are poor examples as they are excessively deep. You'd be wasting your money on stones that look significantly smaller than their carat weight. A well cut 1.23 princess would be closer to 6 x 6. As for your concern about a thin to slightly thick girdle, I personally wouldn't be that concerned provided the slightly thick portions were at the corners. Thin corners would definitely worry me. If it were me, I would keep looking. You can definitely find better.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with the above: princess cuts are surely asking for many excuses just for the sake of being square. The stats for those two would deter me big time from buying them. And, yes, according to the numbers available, that round would be very visibly bigger. Not to mention that I would like to know more than just face-up size and depth to choose a diamond, either round or square... Were such extra cut parameters of concern when picking these up?

Is "by Monday" your time constraint, or simply the seller's requirement?

mwoo

Rough_Rock
hi there,
thanks for replying. you have all confirmed my thoughts that for the same money the rounds really are a much better deal, at least from this source.
the monday deadline is because i have an inside source to buy straight from ekati but the window of opportunity will close quickly.......kind of like an annual sale for employees.
again thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results