shape
carat
color
clarity

Have people made assumptions about your wealth due to your jewelry?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was responding to this.

NO, that is not the whole point of wearing big diamonds. Perhaps, that is the reason you might choose to wear a big diamond. But lots of us wear big diamonds because of self enjoyment and not to display our wealth. Rather presumptuous to assume that someone wearing a big diamond is to display one's wealth

Not all of us are interested in Kashmiri sapphire or Burmese Mogok rubies or fancy color diamonds over white diamonds

Sure we may choose a color gemstone or color diamond as a secondary or tertiary or right hand ring but our primary e-ring will, usually, be a white diamond.

you are entitled to your opinion. and i am entitled to mine

I thought the whole point of big diamonds was to have something uplifting to look at in less than uplifting situations like; plane trips, long car rides and boring dinner parties. I have always thought of my diamonds as companions to life and visual entertainment.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I thought the whole point of big diamonds was to have something uplifting to look at in less than uplifting situations like; plane trips, long car rides and boring dinner parties. I have always thought of my diamonds as companions to life and visual entertainment.

yes, i agree with you. the whole point of wearing big diamonds is, purely, for my own enjoyment. I really like "companions to life" and visual entertainment

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now if only their (genius) bar would also serve cocktails, we’d be set.

Ohhh that is a genius idea! LOVE it. After Covid 19 is gone we should definitely make that suggestion to Apple.

They could serve a signature cocktail...how about the Red Apple Martini?

redapplemartini.jpg

:lickout:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree wholeheartedly and another bonus IMO, of owning beautiful diamonds and belonging to a wonderful forum like PS are the friends we meet. The friends who truly are more precious than any gemstone. You are one of those friends @Jimmianne and I am so grateful to diamonds and PS for finding you and other wonderful women here that I am honored and privileged to have as friends. Friends for life no matter what happens to our diamonds. XO.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
I only own one gemstone ring but I definitely make assumptions about PS members' wealth when I see the masterpieces displayed in SMTB!! :D:D

But in a nice way I think. Mostly just awe...

Honeybasil

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have much jewelry as I have just started getting into diamonds and such over the past year when I started my search for a 20 year upgrade. I definitely considered what people would think or say when I decided on what diamond to purchase. I ultimately went with the more subtle upgrade ring that was similar to what I had before except bigger. I wanted something that wouldn’t attract any attention! I have gotten a few comments on my new diamond, and it’s so embarrassing to me. I just want it for my own pleasure and not for anyone else, although I realize that comes along with wearing pretty things! I’m sure people assume things about my financial situation, but I’ve learned not to care so much about that. I don’t, however, want people to think I’m flashy or flaunting anything.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm happy to report back for this thread from the male point of view if anyone wants to lend me a 3ct asscher for a while ;-) :D

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've gotten some comments I've also heard the stage whispers too which evolves around those are probably fake, too shiny, etc....

If people think they're fake, they won't bother trying to rob me.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've gotten some comments I've also heard the stage whispers too which evolves around those are probably fake, too shiny, etc....

If people think they're fake, they won't bother trying to rob me.

exactly. if a total stranger asks me if it's real i will let them think it is fake :lol::lol::lol:
can't be too careful......

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There have been a few times where someone asks me if something I'm wearing is real. And if it's someone I don't know I just say "yes it's a real ring" or be otherwise vague. A friend who is genuinely curious I would say more.

I think I told this story before but it's funny. One of the few times someone mentioned my jewelry, I was in the chair about to get my wisdom teeth taken out. And the assistant explained, when we give you this gas, you won't care what happens to you. I could take your diamond earrings out of your ears and you wouldn't care. They weren't big studs (whiteflash less than a carat tw) but I guess she noticed them!

I am not rich. but like someone else said, it is one of those things I will occasionally spend money on.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yes!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Generally people where I live assume any bling apart from an e-ring is fashion jewellery, so I haven't gotten any comments.

I have to admit I am guilty of assuming "rich" (no judgement) based on e-rings, but never the other way around.
I wouldn't assume someone is "poor" based on a smaller e-ring, or any other material indicator.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I’m a major homebody so I don’t get a heck of a lot of comments about my bling (and therefore no assumptions). If people notice, while I’m out at Target or eating at a restaurant...they aren’t saying anything to my face.

All assumptions come from within my close family. I don’t talk about money (and I’m in no way wealthy) but I don’t hide my rings either. So when a new CS ring pops up every once in a while...they tend to notice. The comments are usually of the “it must be nice” variety.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Well, I’m a major homebody so I don’t get a heck of a lot of comments about my bling (and therefore no assumptions). If people notice, while I’m out at Target or eating at a restaurant...they aren’t saying anything to my face.

All assumptions come from within my close family. I don’t talk about money (and I’m in no way wealthy) but I don’t hide my rings either. So when a new CS ring pops up every once in a while...they tend to notice. The comments are usually of the “it must be nice” variety.

The snarky "it must be nice" are the absolute worst. I rather they say "you shitty bitch" than "it must be nice", because then I can respond with a blingy middle finger instead.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 a "must be nice" comment should be met with "sure as hell is" and a big ol smile!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
The snarky "it must be nice" are the absolute worst. I rather they say "you shitty bitch" than "it must be nice", because then I can respond with a blingy middle finger instead.

LOL! I kinda love it, though. It's like being called a "skinny bitch." I'd secretly be overjoyed!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone asked me the other day if my Van Cleef Lotus earrings were fake. And this is someone who's known me for many years (not a friend, an acquaintance) and who's helping me purchase a piece of real estate. I just LOL'ed.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Someone asked me the other day if my Van Cleef Lotus earrings were fake. And this is someone who's known me for many years (not a friend, an acquaintance) and who's helping me purchase a piece of real estate. I just LOL'ed.

How rude!

That said, I’ve heard that it’s quite easy to get good fakes made at some places in SG. I’ve been to one where the catalogues from some famous brands are available to browse. (Disclaimer: I didn’t make any!)

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade, there are all over Orchard & Scott Road, just that these fakes aren’t on display. If you walk in to browse for a while, with or even without expressing interest, some SAs might take out a tray or 2 to show.
Disclaimer : me too, don’t support any fake knowingly!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade, there are all over Orchard & Scott Road, just that these fakes aren’t on display. If you walk in to browse for a while, with or even without expressing interest, some SAs might take out a tray or 2 to show.
Disclaimer : me too, don’t support any fake knowingly!

hey that has never happened to me. Maybe I don’t look rich enough?:think:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure if anyone makes assumptions on my wealth from ny jewelery but I have slowly woken up to the fact that just because they don't say anything doesn't mean they don't notice. I tend to stick to a small circle (of like 2 now days) so I'm not out with new people much.

I had just picked up my new band and was showing it to a group of women, some of whom I am closer to than others. One of them was thrilled to see my ER up close and mentioned before she knew better me I was known as "the girl with THAT ring." I guess there are worse things :lol:

Oh, I did have an encounter at a grocery store, was minding my own business scooping olives (I miss olive bars) and a gal asked if that was my ER. I said yes and she immediately started to interrogate me on how l met my husband and how long we dated. I guess she assumed I knew how to attract/where to find a husband. We always laugh about.

I'll admit that in my 20s when someone got engaged with anything over a carat, pretty much everyone in our circle would speculate on what the fiancé did for a living. Ah the big princess days. But I think that is probably typical for the age when everyone is getting engaged and there is a lot of comparisons going on.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Lol, @icy_jade, I think otherwise though .....you look rich enough to afford the genuine things hence you aren’t offered :drool: :razz:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Lol, @icy_jade, I think otherwise though .....you look rich enough to afford the genuine things hence you aren’t offered :drool: :razz:

Nah, I’m likely to be in my usual Singaporean uniform of slippers (Fitflop but still slippers lol), jeans (or more likely shorts lol), and some comfy non-iron top. No make-up, no tai-tai hair and just maybe a bottega bag and usual amount of bling on ears, and a ring or two, but honestly nothing imo that screams money. It’s the type of attire that gets me no service at all at some high end boutiques so I think I don’t look rich (I actually have to deliberately dress up/wear more bling to get attention at branded stores lol).

Maybe you can bring me along for shopping with so that I can have some under the counter tray experience? Heh...:razz::roll::lol:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only people who notice are my bling obsessed friends, and their comments are always kind and positive. That said, we live in a pretty upscale area, so my jewels are far from extraordinary.....

My brother’s mother-in-law did ask whether a diamond necklace he gifted his wife in celebration of their first daughter was real......

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ever commented that you must be rich bc you are wearing X,Y orZ? Or do most people you come across have no idea how much you have spent on your jewelry?

The majority of people I know don't really know jewellery or designers, even when they own some higher end stuff themselves

When I have had comments, it's because I am wearing something that is obviously designer (eg branded).

Also used to get loads of comments on my engagement ring, because it was a large, high quality cluster, so very 'blingy'. Met very few people though who actually 'understood' jewelry.

And I did have a cringey moment where I asked my parents' friend about her ring; it was huge, I knew it was a diamond, and I asked the carat weight (5ct) and if I could try it on... She was lovely and let me, and boy that was a stone and a half!

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
@icy_jade, I am not much better, usually in denim skirt, plain tee or blouse, comfortable walking shoes, just a pair of ear blings & now no ring at all thanks to Covid :(
Likewise, will put on E.g. my blingy tennis bracelet when I crave attention :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results