shape
carat
color
clarity

Have people made assumptions about your wealth due to your jewelry?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had strangers comment on my stuff as well as my car. Where I live if jewelry is sparkly and/or a stone of any sort is bigger than .25 ct, people assume you're wealthy.

In Europe, I saw people staring at my stuff all the time but most didn't approach except for a few times when I was approached in restaurants about my spinel and they asked whether it was expensive. I remember being on the metro (in Russia I think) and I was wearing a 5 stone band with small stones that is super sparkly and one woman stared at it as though it was a piece of the crown jewels of England. I could tell by the way she looked at me that she assumed I was wealthy.

The few times a stranger has said "you must be a rich bitch" I've responded "you're half right."

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
In situations where my jewelry might stand out too much, I leave it at home or take it off.

If it's a poor area, for example, I worry about making myself a target for higher costs when making purchases, or even for theft or attack. And if it's around people I know who don't have much, I feel like it might make them feel bad, like too much putting it in their faces that I can have what they can't.

Sometimes wearing nice jewelry gives me a lift but other times it's the opposite.

Q

Queenie60

Not really. Where I live, most of the women sport some beautiful jewelry. Due to the "bubble" I live in, people don't notice these things as much. I feel they would assume things based on the home and neighborhood I live in. I don't think much about it to be honest.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I tend to blend in and almost be invisible, I think. I don't stand out in any way, so I don't think anybody notices anything one way or the other.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m also obsessed with Great Lakes freighters, and when I tell friends that I have a ship-watching app and “I love ships,” they want to tell me about yachts and sailboat races I might be interested in seeing. I get sad and ask, “But do you know anything about freighters?”
:confused:

People do make assumptions, but they probably verbalize those assumptions, oh, say, 5% of the time?

This made me smile ::) My other half has a freight ship app! And a “which plane is overhead” app! And he will plan outings and pause conversations to catch a glimpse of something especially notable or unusual ::)

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Can't make assumptions based on appearances - some of the wealthiest people I know dressed like tramps!

DK :))

When I was at school my friends and I bumped into my dad in the town centre one lunchtime. Afterwards they asked why my dad was dressed like a tramp*. Turns out Dad was on his way to the bank with thousands of pounds in cash** lining the inside of his jacket. Being dressed like a tramp was his way of not being mugged.

*My friends were being nice, to be fair, Dad did look like a tramp. **He ran a cash business, it was all legit, honest!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I used to work in the grocery store, I wore my fine jewelry every day, including my diamonds.
I had a few snide comments from my co-workers, who spent their money on pickup trucks and motorcycles.

They thought I was loaded, but that is far from the truth.
I know how to pinch a penny, and finding good deals is like sport for me.
Most of my best items were rock bottom prices, gifts, or lucky yard/thrift sale finds.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I think my jewelry and car blend in with the other people in the neighborhood, and workplace, so any assumption people make about my wealth is probably fairly close to the truth. When I travel to other countries, I also try to blend in as best as I can so that I don't look like a rich tourist or foreigner.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This made me smile ::) My other half has a freight ship app! And a “which plane is overhead” app! And he will plan outings and pause conversations to catch a glimpse of something especially notable or unusual ::)

Anytime a friend posts that they are near water, I immediately check my app and send them info on ships out near them. Last year, a friend traveled to Singapore and I could not BELIEVE the view from her hotel room! My husband knows that my ultimate vacation involves a Michigan cottage on the St. Mary’s River, near the Soo locks. :love:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only person that has ever commented on my jewelry is my brother and he thinks I'm rich because of it and because I have Fiestaware. He's never even seen my biggest diamond.

I like jewelry and purses. So sue me. In other areas of my life I am shockingly cheap. We all make choices about what to do with money and I don't judge others for the choices they make. If anyone else has judged me, they have kept it to themselves.

I do keep my jewelry and purse addiction on the down low and I don't talk about it outside of PS and my one friend that also likes sparkly things. I try to blend with the rest of the crowd and where I live most people have nice jewelry, purses and most have nice cars (although I have those things because I like them - I don't care what anyone thinks). If I'm traveling outside of my area, the diamonds I wear get smaller or stay home and I carry a decades old nylon bag.

I do know some wealthy people and they are very careful to not show their wealth. I have one friend that takes her own tea bags with her to the most exclusive country club in town.

I think the definition of wealthy is relative. When I was a young, single mom the thought of being able to pay all of my bills and have something left over was unimaginable.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The way I look at it is that, I worked hard all my life to be where I am today, and shall spend my hard-earned money which way I like!

DK :))

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My other half is the same way about anything that flies. He is obsessed and I now stop and say "jet" or "prop" when a plane flies over just to amuse him.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
She is so frugal she goes to the Charity shops to buy stuff.

That's why she had accumulated several mill! :mrgreen: My mom was the same type of thrifty person. She had a nice collection of made in the USSR jewelry (mostly14K YG with lab grown corundum) but rarely wore any of them. Until her retirement, she only wore a pair of earrings and one ring she had inherited from her mother. When her age advanced, she preferred to be looking as a very poor old pensioner in bad health and needing everything. People helped her a lot! She knew how to save money!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m pretty sure it’s happened but no one has said anything to me about it. I do tend to dress very very casual and we recently downsized our home so I’m pretty sure no one thinks I’m wealthy in my new neighborhood. They probably think my jewelry is fake which is fine bc I’m not wearing it to impress them, I’m wearing it bc I’m a bling whore.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mine is modest so I get no snarky comments, the one I do get alot is wow its so sparkly because I keep them clean so they sparkle...someone made a comment about watch out for the bum in the jewelry store got a funny story just happened end of last week..hubby and 23 year old son walks in a higher end jewelry store...23 year old son told her he had been talking to a sales person on the phone about put pre-ordering the newest Rolex that literally just came out..hubby in cheap blue jean shorts, cheap sleeveless shirt and a ball cap...the 23 year old well you know they don't take him serious...the woman at the front desk kinda looked them over and dismissed them, son said he was there to see the sales lady (dont know her name), she said she was busy..another sales lady dismissed them as well...looking down her nose at them, finally she ask if she could help and he said he wanted to pre-order the rolex and he was working with another lady and again was told she was busy and he finally told her would only work with her and that he had CASH...that got their attention quick enough and they finally went and got his sales lady....he paid cash and pre-ordered the Rolex lol....

Eeveepenny

Shiny_Rock
I'm trying to elevate my look to Old Navy sweatpants and t-shirts this year.:bigsmile:I doubt people think any jewelry I wear is real. I don't care. As others have said, we have rich relations that don't even wear jewelry and buy everything they have at Costco. I will add one thing though, in Canada, MMD are only 20% less expensive than mined. If they were 80% less here, I'd have some.
1215diamonds.com
80% less for my 1.6 ct H VS2. Have a look at my previous threads :)
Btw, I’m from Australia and was $50USD to post

Last edited:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes they have, and I don't mind either. Their assumptions might be right or wrong, but I'm not offended.

I bought my jewelry, I like my jewelry, I made my own money to pay for it. Notice and comment as you wish. Or not if you don't. If you choose to say something, I will always respond politely, but I am unlikely to disclose anything meaningful. lol

Anne

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anytime a friend posts that they are near water, I immediately check my app and send them info on ships out near them. Last year, a friend traveled to Singapore and I could not BELIEVE the view from her hotel room! My husband knows that my ultimate vacation involves a Michigan cottage on the St. Mary’s River, near the Soo locks. :love:

My husband's dream vacation is probably similar :bigsmile: It definitely involves a major transit airport at which he can watch A380s from the runway-facing hotel window ::) :love:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently to “kill” some time waiting to pick up my glasses I wandered into a “sort of upmarket” jewellers. I was wearing yoga pants and a T shirt. I had no RHR on. I was curious as to how much a chunky gold chain would cost, especially now as gold has gone up so much. As the saleswoman appeared I pointed, with my right hand, to the thicker 18ct gold chains in the cabinet. Saleswoman tells me “those chains are very expensive, these ones here, pointing to gold plated silver ones, are more in your price range”.
OMG I had just been judged by a snotty sales person!
Whoa and ouch.
Switching my handbag to my right hand, I put my left hand on the glass counter with a thud and said “Thanks, but no thanks”.
On left hand was my 5 carats of engagement ring, 2 carats of eternity ring, 4 carats of diamond tennis bracelet and my gold Rolex with diamond bezel
As a final “flourish” I put my hair behind my ears showing off my 4 carats of diamond ear studs and flicked my necklace set with a 2 carat RB diamond out from under my t shirt.
And I turned and left!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one thinks I'm rich :lol: only once was my jewellery commented on publicly - by my boss who noticed my Longines watch, probably because she also wears a Longines watch. A few colleagues then asked if it was worth a lot. It was a 10th wedding anniversary gift and probably the nicest thing I own.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Recently to “kill” some time waiting to pick up my glasses I wandered into a “sort of upmarket” jewellers. I was wearing yoga pants and a T shirt. I had no RHR on. I was curious as to how much a chunky gold chain would cost, especially now as gold has gone up so much. As the saleswoman appeared I pointed, with my right hand, to the thicker 18ct gold chains in the cabinet. Saleswoman tells me “those chains are very expensive, these ones here, pointing to gold plated silver ones, are more in your price range”.
Whoa and ouch.
Switching my handbag to my right hand, I put my left hand on the glass counter with a thud and said “Thanks, but no thanks”.
On left hand was my 5 carats of engagement ring, 2 carats of eternity ring, 4 carats of diamond tennis bracelet and my gold Rolex with diamond bezel
As a final “flourish” I put my hair behind my ears showing off my 4 carats of diamond ear studs and flicked my necklace set with a 2 carat RB diamond out from under my t shirt.
And I turned and left!

1600220683960.jpeg

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Whoa and ouch.
And I turned and left!

Do you remember the movie “pretty woman”?

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
I don't think most people make wealth assumptions based solely on bling. I think the entire "package" of the wearer is typically considered. Expensive clothes, purse, watch, shoes, car etc as well?
It's not uncommon especially among younger people, to wear large diamond simulants such as cz and moissanite due to budget constraints.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of assumptions...that is a big one!

I wear what I wear because I like it. I don’t give a hoot what anyone else thinks and that sentiment has been echoed by many posters on PS.
If I liked colored stones I would wear them even if people thought they were cheaper.

But I still think most people don‘t have a clue about the jewelry I wear. If they did they may still be confused...I’m rich enough to wear diamonds but I shop in thrift stores and finish my own drywall instead of hiring it out. I do take off my rings before getting into the spackle though. ;-)

Note that the bold and underline was you, not me.

"Judging" or "making assumptions" is not limited to leering at you or conspicuously commenting on your jewelry.

If you really (really?) think that no one judges you for your multi-carat diamond ring, then you either: 1) are completely clueless; or 2) live in an ultra-rarified bubble where all your friends and social contacts have seven-figure+ incomes and you never set foot in a bank, grocery store, gas station, shopping mall, etc. I'm not even sure that the second case is possible in the US, where even the rich avoid servants.

Just because you don't feel it or hear it, it doesn't mean that no one is noticing. For some of us, that's the whole point. For others, I hate to break this to you :cool2:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love telling this story about one of the very few times I went into a very busy Tiffany & co. store. I was young, dressed casually and getting no help. I thought it was because of the way I was dressed, but in comes a rough and frumpy looking older lady that looked like she parked her shopping cart outside mall (looking HOMELESS), but she waltzes into Tiffany’s and all the SA’s drop what they are doing and greet her with a huge smile and all shout “Hello Mrs, so-and so!”.....she then proceeds to pull out a Christmas list for about 35 family members and says: “Let’s start shopping! Everyone is getting Tiffany’s for Christmas!”. My mouth just dropped. Obviously the super rich do NOT feel the need to show it off!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Actually another story about assumptions made about our “wealth” which I find funny and sexist. Most people assume I’m married to a wealthy Asian doctor or something. When we go car shopping or jewelry, people grovel over my husband, thinking that HE would be the decision maker or the person signing the check. I always find it amusing when my husband nods at me, and says: “whatever you want honey, it’s your money”. My husband came from humble beginnings and although he makes a decent living, I’m the higher earner and buy cars and jewelry for myself. I just bring him along to get the “service” I deserve.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results