shape
carat
color
clarity

Have IGI Report, want 2nd opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
How do I go about sending my diamond into GIA or EGL? Does anyone know approx. how much it costs to get a report from either of these labs? Thanks!

barry

Shiny_Rock
Just walk in or send it in (carefully packaged
and properly insured).

You can ask for a verification or full written
report. Cost is dependent on carat weight.
Time for verification is relatively fast,
a full report is subject to their workload.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Leanne,

mentions that they allow consumers to submit diamonds through "local retailers of fine jewelry." I don't know if that means they never make any exceptions to that policy, but it sounds like they only want to deal with folks in the trade.

-Tim[/u]

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hi Leanne,

is the stone certed by IGI New York or Antwerp? They are very different!

Giangi

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
The stone is graded through New York. Is that OK?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Actually, no! IGI NY is very, very liberal in its grading, especially with SI grades. IGI Antwerp, in my opinion, is much better and more accurate.
If you're going to purchase this stone, do yourself a favor and bring the diamond to an appraiser...

Giangi
1.gif

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
I've already purchased the ring. The diamond is a 1.82 carat set in platinum. It has 2 small white inclusions that can been seen from the side (without a loupe). Under magnification it has several inclusions. One is on the girdle & feels like a nick. I took it to 2 different jewelers & they told me it was a natural edge of the diamond. There is another small nick on the same side of the diamond that is very smooth. The jeweler believed it to be a natural part of the diamond because it wasn't jagged like it was chipped. I was told that whoever cut the diamond was trying to get the most width out of it by starting the cut on the edge of the small inclusion. Both of the nicks are on the IGI Report & one is outlined in green. The color on the diamond is G-H & the clarity is I1. I have a one carat that has been graded by a graduate gemmologist as H, I1. The 1.82 is much lighter & far sparklier. It is really a beautiful stone. I think the cut is much better than my one carat. The IGI did an appraisal report that was $13,999 but we paid a considerable amount less. I could still return it if I wanted but my husband would be upset. He loves it!

meow4444

Rough_Rock
How would you rank IGI NY, IGI Antwerp, GIA, EGL and HRD?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry I didn't respond to this thread earlier, but I wasn't at home... Sounds like you're very happy with your diamond and most probably it was a good bargain... THIS is very important! Remember that certs are important, but buy the diamond you like, not a piece of paper!
This is how I'd rate the labs:

1A HRD(Maybe I'm a little biased here as I live in Europe, but they are VERY consistent and nowdays even stricter than GIA)
1B AGS-GIA
2A PGS-IGI Antwerp
2B EGL LA
3A EGL NY
4A IGI USA-EGL Tel Aviv
4B EGL Antwerp

Hope that helps
1.gif

Giangi

meow4444

Rough_Rock
So let's say if a dealer offers an IGI cert and after purchasing the diamond, I send it to GIA or HRD for another opinion, can I still return the diamond if GIA or HRD finds that the IGI rating is lenient?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Actually I think it depends on the return policy that the dealer offers. If you buy a 1.01 F VS 1 w/EGL, then you send it to HRD/GIA and they grade it as 1.01 F VS 2, I think you could keep it, as one grade difference in color or clarity is common, but if you buy an EGL 1.01 H SI 1 and it comes back as HRD 1.01 J SI 2 (Maybe EGL graded the stone on monday morning
9.gif
), I think you should return it, because the difference is too big. Also if there's a small difference (lets say 1 grade), prior to send back a stone, you should take in account all the expenses (restocking fees, shipping, etc...).

Giangi

ziad

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Any idea how IGI grade the proportions of a diamond? what is a very good or good in terms of % or angles ranges? I read that IGI antwerp is better and late certificates are better.

The official wensite says nothing on grading, any links?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Very good:
Ht 55.5% - 63.9%
Tab 53.0% - 66.0%
Cr 11.0% - 16.0%
Pav 42.0% - 45.0%
Girdle thin - sl.thick
Culet none - medium

Hope that helps...

Noono

Rough_Rock
what about if the culet size is pointed???
does this have any problem
Up_to_something.gif

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
No, I am just an educated consumer and a mostly a lurker on this site, trying to help others. Yes it is frustrating when you see such a drastic quality difference in the certifications between GIA and IGI. IGI here is out for the best interest of that chain store and not the consumer; probably because of the volume of business, cost and liberal grading. I do not believe your company is objective for this reason. Perhaps it is different in Antwerp, but your certifications in the US are used to lore the potential uneducated people into a bad purchase. Your gradings are extremely liberal here. That is speaking from personal experience…I did not buy one, but I certainly saw it happening at many of the chain stores, luckily I became educated in the matter and ended up with a beautiful stone. Now I just try to share my experiences with others and help them learn.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
oops wrong email string... please disregard the last message.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results