shape
carat
color
clarity

Have I found a keeper? Please give me your $.02 on this diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

garmin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help I''ve received so far on PS. I''ve only interacted within 2 threads, but my lurking here has helped me SO much.

I''m strongly considering this stone from JA, and have it on hold:

.97 AGS0 SI1 G, with a 1.2 on the HCA calc

Does this stone seem to be a solid candidate when it comes to the size/quality/price quandary?

I have my own opinion, but I''ll shut up, in lieu of the PS expert thoughts. Suffice to say I haven''t had a diamond in several weeks worth of shopping that I''m so enthralled with- from a value standpoint.

I should state my original search was for a very nice .75 range diamond in the $3000-3500 realm. However, this particular diamond has caused me to consider downsizing my setting plans, in order to stay under my cash budget threshold.

36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is eyeclean to your standards - its a winner!
emthup.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
The numbers look good, and it''s an AGS0. I''d still ask for an idealscope image just to put my mind at ease. Only problem I can see is it not being eyeclean. At 9x mag it was very easy to see the inclusions. I''m sure it wouldn''t be as easy from normal viewing but I''d have them look at it from all angles to make sure nothing is visible.

garmin

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the input Lorelei and elle_chris!

Maybe I''m still green, but it sure seems to me like the inclusions in this stone are at worst average, or perhaps even above average for an SI2. Am I off in that opinion?

I was told by the staff at JA that the stone was considered to be eye-clean, but the convo with them revealed a bit of "chink-in-the-armor" in JA''s system, as compared to GOG or WF for example.

Apparently, all the info that the call center (in MD) has available on a given stone is based off of a second-hand info and notes from staff at a separate location (in the NYC diamond district). Therefore, they can''t actually look at the stones themselves and examine them together with you on the phone. And the only additional image that can be supplied to the customer is an Ideal-Scope, which takes several days to get, and unfortunately for me, roughly 10-12 days due to the current holiday. No ASET, which is what I''d really like to see.

By no means is any of this a "deal-killer" to me, nor will it keep me from perusing their site for potential stones and/or settings, but it certainly is a competitive disadvantage.

soycoffee

Shiny_Rock
That is interesting about the JA call center! Good info...

For my .02, I agree with the others here saying that if it is eyeclean to YOUR standards, it looks really nice otherwise. A "keeper" if you will
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
rare size, AGS0
maybe near h&a, it for sure wont make h&a but cant tell how close it is without heart images.
If your in the US it might be worth shipping it unmounted to you for a clarity inspection.

garmin

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the further input!

I should add, now that the stone has been put on hold, the price is no longer visible. It's priced at $4200. Seems to me that's a very important part for forming a judgment call for forum members.

I too noticed the near-H&A level of cut. Another one of the reasons it interests me. Of course, I'm not sure how easy/hard it is to light and angle a stone properly for a photograph in order to expose those facets of the cut. What I'm trying to say is I don't know how difficult it is to "fake" a H&A look. I've have seen plenty of decent, non-H&A stones where there is zero arrow pattern from top view. I'm guessing that on this particular stone, having them visible, but not quite symmetrical, is about as close as you can get to true, unarguable H&A.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s a fab stone in a very difficult to find valueable carat range! I love the color/clarity combo as long as it is eye clean to your standards. I definitely think it''s worth a try ordering and looking at. I also don''t think you''ll regret sinking more money into the stone and skipping the elaborate setting. You can always re-set later, but there is something that is so great and classic of a 1 carat round, and you managed to find a stone that looks just like one with a big savings.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2009 2:24:20 PM
Author: garmin
Thanks so much for the further input!

I should add, now that the stone has been put on hold, the price is no longer visible. It's priced at $4200. Seems to me that's a very important part for forming a judgment call for forum members.

I too noticed the near-H&A level of cut. Another one of the reasons it interests me. Of course, I'm not sure how easy/hard it is to light and angle a stone properly for a photograph in order to expose those facets of the cut. What I'm trying to say is I don't know how difficult it is to 'fake' a H&A look. I've have seen plenty of decent, non-H&A stones where there is zero arrow pattern from top view. I'm guessing that on this particular stone, having them visible, but not quite symmetrical, is about as close as you can get to true, unarguable H&A.
It has excellent face up optical symmetry. Which is a step down from h&a but still excellent.
JA's photo setup is well know to the pro-sumers here.
$4200 is a good price for it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results