shape
carat
color
clarity

Have I found a good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

patrickg

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I''ve been hiding in this forum for a couple of months now, doing research, and I''ve finally gone out into the real world and actually looked at some diamonds, and I''m back hoping that you can help me with what I''ve found.

Thanks for the feedback!

patrick

asking price is $7300. It looked very clean, and was easily better than many of the VS2''s from other shops.
GIA Cert - Round
measure - 7.4 - 7.48x4.31
1.37C
SI1
Color E
D-57.9, T 60%
girdle- VThin to Thin, faceted
polish & Sym - both good
culet - vs

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Are the depth and table correct? Or reversed?

patrickg

Rough_Rock
hello,

the table and depth are correct not reversed according to the
GIA cert.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
In that case, I'd recommend going for the reverse:

Depth 59-61%
Table 55-58%

Alot of people have listed some ideal crown and pavillion depths and angles on this forum, I'd check those out. The price is pretty competitive if the depth and table were 60 and 58 respectively.

Can anyone else offer some more advice?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can offer my own experience. What you have here may be a larger tabled, shallower depth stone. Not ideal, but certainly may not be a dud either. Depends on what you are looking for. Ideal TIC cut or a larger tabled shallower stone that probably looks bigger than the 1.37c weight? I bet this stone looks closer to a 1.5c than a 1.37c. That may be because of the specs and dimensions to which the stone was cut. My stone is like this...a 61.4% table and 56.9% depth. It is a 1.23c but the diameter of the stone is the same as a well-cut 1.35c stone..so it's like extra visual effect for free. Not all stones such as this will be great looking though, some may be fish-eye or have a dark area under the table. Mine has a slight darkness under the table in certain angles and lights, but for the most part, its really beautiful.

If you saw it in person and liked it, get more specs on the stone. Get the crown and pavilion angles and plug them into the HCA. The HCA discounts stones such as ours slightly, but I would estimate that as long as this stone performs under 3.0 on the HCA, you would be fine. Mine was originally a 1.5 BIC but since Garry changed the specs its now a 2.8. So if it looks anything like mine as a 2.8...I'd highly recommend it!!

However would like to point out that the girdle on this stone is not very desirable. Very Thin to Thin means that the entire girdle is at least thin..if not some parts v.thin. This may give this stone a highly increased chance of chipping if it was struck. Combine that with the potential of a shallower crown (larger table, shallower depth stones sometimes have this..mine does), and you may have a very chippable stone. If this does not bother you, get insurance and forget about it, or set the stone in a bezel setting or similar. My stone has a shallower crown BUT the girdle is thin-med...so we are slightly safer. Depending on your crown angle...this may be a deal breaker. A more desirable girdle would be thin-med or thin-slightly thick or similar. v.thin-slightly thick would even work...but v.thin to thin is a bit of a red flag..depending on the other info.

So would suggest getting more info and then make an educated decision from there. From the specs you told us...this is pretty much all you'll find out until you have more info!
1.gif
BTW the price is very good...esp if its an eye clean stone. If the cut checks out, it would be a great deal!

Good luck!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It could be quite a beautiful stone... As Mara suggested, try to get all angles and percentages... It looks like it's an excellent SI 1 (which isn't that common) and it has the spread of 1.50ct, so it may be a GREAT value!!
1.gif
1.gif

diamondsman

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I would reccommend staying within these parameters,(the one you picked is a bit on the shallow side)therfore not having the brilliancy that a better make stone should have.

these are the parameters:
d=59-62%
t=53-60%
girdle thin-med,med-sltk
culet none
polish g+
sym g+
flour. none-faint

good luck!
1.gif

patrickg

Rough_Rock
thanks to everyone for their feedback. It is great to have such a resource, and people willing to help!

My jeweler is very helpful, and doesn't want to push me into anything that I'm not 100% satisfied, so the search may continue......

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regardless of what you do, buy this stone or pass and keep looking, BE SURE that your great jeweler is open to giving you Sarin reports on any stone that you choose to consider. If he does not want to, I suggest you look for another jeweler who will.

GIA report information is sparse and you cannot make an educated decision on a stone with that info from a GIA report, regardless of what a jeweler says. Nowadays people are even getting into analyzing each FACET of a diamond, so they have come leaps and bounds beyond just utilizing table and depth to make a decision. The GIA is going to have to start updating its reports soon with at least the crown and pav angles or be completely left behind as consumers get more discriminating.

In the meantime, you can be sure that your jeweler is willing to get you the info needed to make an informed decision on where you put your $$. Be sure that he will give you Sarins on GIA stones, with AGS stones the info is on them, but you may want to get the Sarin anyway as confirmation.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results