shape
carat
color
clarity

Hatton Garden, London

claireweller252

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend is taking me to Hatton Garden on Saturday to choose an engagement ring and I wanted to ask for some recommendations.

We will be looking for a certificated diamond (preferably GIA) so can anyone recommend any jewellers that they have used in the past and have been happy with?

He will be looking to spend between £1500 and £1800 on the ring in total and I will probably be going for a white gold setting. I would love platinum but my main priority is going to be the stone so depending what that costs will depend on whether its going to be white gold or platinum.

Also, I understand that if we are choosing the stone and the setting seperately then we will probably have to have the ring sent to us once it has been made up, is this correct?

We are looking for a competively priced and reliable jeweller who is not going to try and take us for fools. I have to admit that I am slightly concerned that we will choose a lovely certificated diamond and agree a price and then get sent something different. I am assuming that the best thing to do would be to take the finished product to an independent jewellers on receipt for confirmation that it matches the certificate and to get a valuation?

Do the Hatton Garden jewellers offer a return policy if there is any problems?

Many thanks in advance for your replies and help!!

ptyson

Rough_Rock
I am going to be looking around Hatton Garden for a jeweller as well, but my story is a little different.

I came on here and asked around and found a lovely diamond on whiteflash.com for around £1,500 (+ VAT when it arrives). I've ordered it yesterday so I'm excited to see what it's like once it arrives. My girlfriend and I will then go through Hatton Garden and look at different settings to choose one which she likes. So, I'd like to find a reputable jeweller in London who you can go to with a diamond and they will give a great setting at a competitive price (I'd like to try to spend less than £1,000 on the setting & band).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2010 5:15:20 AM
Author:claireweller252

My boyfriend is taking me to Hatton Garden on Saturday to choose an engagement ring and I wanted to ask for some recommendations.

We will be looking for a certificated diamond (preferably GIA) so can anyone recommend any jewellers that they have used in the past and have been happy with?

He will be looking to spend between £1500 and £1800 on the ring in total and I will probably be going for a white gold setting. I would love platinum but my main priority is going to be the stone so depending what that costs will depend on whether its going to be white gold or platinum.

Also, I understand that if we are choosing the stone and the setting seperately then we will probably have to have the ring sent to us once it has been made up, is this correct?

We are looking for a competively priced and reliable jeweller who is not going to try and take us for fools. I have to admit that I am slightly concerned that we will choose a lovely certificated diamond and agree a price and then get sent something different. I am assuming that the best thing to do would be to take the finished product to an independent jewellers on receipt for confirmation that it matches the certificate and to get a valuation?

Hi Claire

I would be very careful with Hatton Garden, there are of course some good sellers there but you really need to know who they are, I am not very familiar to advise you in that respect. I can suggest Dr Indira Marchant at www.bestdiamonds.co.uk Indira is located in the Royal Exchange, you would need an appointment to see her.

Are you still looking for an emerald cut or round diamond?

Also yes, an independant appraisal would be a good idea whatever you buy, although it is very rare that diamond swapping goes on, trust but verify is not a bad approach.

ptyson

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/11/2010 5:23:30 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Claire

I would be very careful with Hatton Garden, there are of course some good sellers there but you really need to know who they are, I am not very familiar to advise you in that respect. I can suggest Dr Indira Marchant at www.bestdiamonds.co.uk Indira is located in the Royal Exchange, you would need an appointment to see her.

Hi Lorelei,

I spoke to Indira and she said that she deals with people on a higher budget than mine (I said around £2,500) so I''m not sure she can help in this instance.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2010 5:25:17 AM
Author: ptyson

Date: 5/11/2010 5:23:30 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Claire

Hi Lorelei,

I spoke to Indira and she said that she deals with people on a higher budget than mine (I said around £2,500) so I''m not sure she can help in this instance.
Ok no problem ptyson, thanks for letting me know.

claireweller252

Rough_Rock
I think I am going to go for a round cut because I love the sparkle. I am hoping for around 0.5 carat VS1 colour E or F. I had my heart set on a white gold pave setting but I understand that the stones come loose very easily with these settings.

I was hoping for a recommendation for a jeweller in hatton garden because whilst we don''t have a massive
budget we would still like to get the best we can for our money.

I understand that purchasing online is the best way to get a good deal but my other half really dislikes online shopping and wants us to go somewhere where we can see what we are buying.

I assume it is acceptable to haggle? Also do you think having the cash would get us a better deal or does it not work that way?

Thanks

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/11/2010 6:01:58 AM
Author: claireweller252
I think I am going to go for a round cut because I love the sparkle. I am hoping for around 0.5 carat VS1 colour E or F. I had my heart set on a white gold pave setting but I understand that the stones come loose very easily with these settings.

I was hoping for a recommendation for a jeweller in hatton garden because whilst we don''t have a massive
budget we would still like to get the best we can for our money.

I understand that purchasing online is the best way to get a good deal but my other half really dislikes online shopping and wants us to go somewhere where we can see what we are buying.

I assume it is acceptable to haggle? Also do you think having the cash would get us a better deal or does it not work that way?

Thanks
Claire, let me see if Pandora can suggest a place to try, it might take a while until she sees this thread so hold on. Yes you could haggle, no harm in trying.

ptyson

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei, I''ll be interested in Pandora''s suggestions as well!

Claire, you may see if you could purchase a loose stone online? If for nothing else, check these sites out to get a general opinion on prices of stones given various contraints (eg: 4 C''s etc)

http://www.bluenile.co.uk
http://www.whiteflash.com
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com

The last two have the prices in USD so you would obviously have to convert to GBP, and also remember that the prices listed exclude VAT, so add another 17.5% to get a comparable price.

claireweller252

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei, I appreciate your help.

Ptyson, I tried to convince him to purchase a stone online but he is really traditional and wants to do it this way. I guess I cannot argue considering he is paying! It took me long enough to explain to him why he shouldnt just go to a high street jewellers and so I think this is a step in the right direction.

Hopefully someone will come along who can help us out. I am a bit wary of just "winging" it.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
How did it go Claire?

Looking to buy an engagement ring too. We both live in London and shall visit Hatton Garden on Saturday then Birmingham JC next weekend.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did it go Claire?

Looking to buy an engagement ring too. We both live in London and shall visit Hatton Garden on Saturday then Birmingham JC next weekend.
This thread is 8+ years old, so no matter how it went, your experience will likely be different

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How did it go Claire?

Make sure to price up AGS000 / SuperIdeal options from the PS-recommended vendors (+ 20% VAT on importation) to make sure you aren't overpaying for mediocrity in person.

Consider buying an ASETscope to help you analyse stones' cut accuracy.

Make sure to stick within the PS-recommended guidelines:

Table 54-58%
Depth 60-62.4%
Pavilion Angle 40.6 - 40.9 degrees
Crown Angle 34 - 35 degrees (maybe 35.5 or even 36 degrees with a shallow, 40.6 pavilion)

When crown angle rises, pavilion angle should fall, and vice versa - e.g. 34c/40.9p but 35c/40.6p.

Use the HCA tool on stones you are interested in, to confirm the angles and measurements give scores under 2.

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I recommend durham rose and their CBI stones. Excellent store (not in HG). Birmingham Jewellery Quarter, lots of none GIA stones, be wary. I quite like diamond dealers direct in the JQ, had the best selection of GIA stones before when I was looking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results