shape
carat
color
clarity

Hashimoto's

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I asked my new OBGYN (new, because we just moved here) to test my thyroid, and she reluctantly agreed to test my TSH. That came back at 3.48. My new PCP (thank goodness!) knew that that level is way too high, and she ran more tests. My thyroid was enlarged and she suspected Hashimoto's. I just got the results over the weekend, and my TPO was 540 (normal is below 9). So, it looks like I now have Hashimoto's. I haven't talked to my doc yet, since I got the results on a Saturday, but I'm guessing I will hear from her soon.

Anyone else dealing with this? I saw some old (2008) posts in the Family/Health subforums, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, AMC! Both my MIL and SIL have Hashimoto's. If I recall correctly, there's a strong genetic link. Neither have many symptoms and both are managed with medication without side effects for now. SIL was diagnosed after having constant nausea and frequent vomiting. She had been through a battery of tests by the GI before finally ending up with the thyroid workup.

What made you get tested? Are you having symptoms? SIL finds that keeping well hydrated almost always keeps the nausea at bay if you're experiencing that.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
puppmom|1449515092|3958629 said:
Hi, AMC! Both my MIL and SIL have Hashimoto's. If I recall correctly, there's a strong genetic link. Neither have many symptoms and both are managed with medication without side effects for now. SIL was diagnosed after having constant nausea and frequent vomiting. She had been through a battery of tests by the GI before finally ending up with the thyroid workup.

What made you get tested? Are you having symptoms? SIL finds that keeping well hydrated almost always keeps the nausea at bay if you're experiencing that.

I've suspected thyroid issues for a while, but it seems to have gotten worse after the birth of T back in January. You know that pp hair loss thing? Mine never really stopped. I'm tired ALL the time, I have no energy, and it is nearly impossible for me to lose weight. My basal body temp is pretty low (like high 96s). It's interesting, my vitamin d is crazy low and my cholesterol is high (for the first time ever), and both of those things go along with Hashi's. I'm not too surprised or even concerned with the diagnosis, just excited/hopeful to get things fixed.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. You sound much like me when my thyroid is under-treated, symptoms-wise. I do not have Hashi's but I am hypothyroid. I also have the low temp. Look up Wilson's Syndrome. There is a website and you can find Dr.s in your area who treat it. I found one years ago who diagnosed me with Wilson's and followed the proper protocol to treat that, my hypothyroidism and my adrenal fatigue and he changed/saved my life. Truly. I lost 102 pounds in one calendar year under his care. I went on to lose another 15 in the following 4 months but have since regained around 40. :-/ In large part due to a few surgeries with lengthy recoveries and because my Dr. passed away and I have struggled to find another Dr. who is even close to as gifted in this area. Know that you can feel better and do not accept the status quo as your life sentence. The fight is so worth it. Check into an Iodine supplement. I take Iodoral. Iodine is crucial for thyroid function and we get far too little in our diets. Good luck!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies said:
Wow. You sound much like me when my thyroid is under-treated, symptoms-wise. I do not have Hashi's but I am hypothyroid. I also have the low temp. Look up Wilson's Syndrome. There is a website and you can find Dr.s in your area who treat it. I found one years ago who diagnosed me with Wilson's and followed the proper protocol to treat that, my hypothyroidism and my adrenal fatigue and he changed/saved my life. Truly. I lost 102 pounds in one calendar year under his care. I went on to lose another 15 in the following 4 months but have since regained around 40. :-/ In large part due to a few surgeries with lengthy recoveries and because my Dr. passed away and I have struggled to find another Dr. who is even close to as gifted in this area. Know that you can feel better and do not accept the status quo as your life sentence. The fight is so worth it. Check into an Iodine supplement. I take Iodoral. Iodine is crucial for thyroid function and we get far too little in our diets. Good luck!

I've never heard of Wilson's, I'll check it out. I forgot to mention another symptom- it's like my brain is broken. I'm not as sharp as I normally am and my memory is awful, when it used to be good.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
No experience with Hashis but have gone 4 years now without a thyroid after having it removed when diagnosed with cancer, so if you have questions down the road I may be of assistance. Docs are often reluctant to test and treat when it comes to thyroid stuff so if not satisfied with a current doc don't be afraid to pursue further with someone else.

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Memory issues are definitely a symptom of thyroid dysfunction. Referred to as "thyroid brain fog". So frustrating. For me my brain function is most noticeable when I am struggling to come up with the right word for something. It never used to be an issue. Now it has become a bit of a joke between myself and my husband because it happens so often. Harrumph! :-/

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1449598346|3959022 said:
Memory issues are definitely a symptom of thyroid dysfunction. Referred to as "thyroid brain fog". So frustrating. For me my brain function is most noticeable when I am struggling to come up with the right word for something. It never used to be an issue. Now it has become a bit of a joke between myself and my husband because it happens so often. Harrumph! :-/

At the height of it, I would stop at green lights to wait... Also when I typed on the computer, the keys I was hitting didn't match what I thought I was typing - it would just be gibberish. And let's not forget putting cereal in the fridge and milk in the cupboard :-/

amc80

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1449598733|3959026 said:
purplesparklies|1449598346|3959022 said:

At the height of it, I would stop at green lights to wait... Also when I typed on the computer, the keys I was hitting didn't match what I thought I was typing - it would just be gibberish. And let's not forget putting cereal in the fridge and milk in the cupboard :-/

It's really no fun. I used to rock at Jeopardy, and now it's like I can't even focus on the question (answer) enough to be able to think of a response. I think I use all of my brain power at work, and anything non-work related just gets dropped. The other day we took the kids to the dentist, and half way there I realized I hadn't brought any diapers, wipes, etc. Or I'll go to the gym and leave my phone at home (I always always have my phone on me). It's frustrating and annoying. Hopefully I'll be able to find the right balance of meds to get this sorted out.

I don't understand why it's so hard to get thyroid help. Why are doctors so reluctant to test it? Maybe one of the doctors on here can chime in.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
amc80|1449599513|3959034 said:
I don't understand why it's so hard to get thyroid help. Why are doctors so reluctant to test it? Maybe one of the doctors on here can chime in.

I don't know that it's that necessarily, and I don't even particularly blame them. Thyroid levels are kind of like a person's weight. There is a wide range of what is "normal", but it's so individual that two people could have the same exact numbers, both within "normal" range, but feel completely different. Because of that, it's hard for doctors to diagnose problems based on numbers and they have to go purely off of symptoms, and that's difficult in an age where we have a lot of other things going on as a culture. For example, MANY people (myself included) don't eat the best, don't exercise enough, don't get enough sleep, etc. So when someone comes into their office saying that they are getting chubby, feel tired, etc., and their blood levels are within the normal range, I imagine it's a difficult task to sort through who has a legitimate endocrine problem and who just isn't taking care of themselves.

I'm currently on a dose where I feel "normal" as in I'm not having any issues - not "foggy", not overly tired etc. I don't expect to ever wake up wanting to run a marathon because I've never felt that way in my life, even way before the word "thyroid" was even in my vocabulary. I don't have any complaints as of now and so I'm going with the flow with this current dose. If I start to feel bad, I'll go in for more tests (and have in the past).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results