shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your significant other given you a really tacky present? If so please make me feel better!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm.
I think the cats might find them interesting...toys....

But they don't get that the thought counts for alot!

I wish I had a cat! :twisted2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd display them. Just because life's too short and there's nothing more beautiful than a gift from someone who loves you.

I don't know if you care to try to improve the look of them, but cutting them down would be a big improvement and I'm sure a pair of wire cutters would allow you to shorten all that 'metallic-shiny stem' look. Were it me, I'd probably also snip off the leaves, since they're the most eye-catching - tho I wouldn't do that if I thought it would hurt my DH's feelings. When I had a more discrete, shorter bunch - say, around 8" tall - I'd put them on a book shelf. We have a 12' run of book cases in our office filled with books. In front of the books are all sorts of sentimental mementos - all meaningful, none of them especially beautiful. The detail and color of all the books distracts from anything I put on the book case with them, and I have my equivalent of metal tipped roses, rock collections from my god-kids, some truly fascinating sentimental, resin pieces I was given when my dogs died - and so on. It's obviously a collection of things I want to keep, rather than things I want to display. Ends up looking like one, detailed, patchwork piece of fabric (for example) rather than any single thing on display. And believe me when I tell you - I'm highly visual and very picky about how I decorate my home! For something like this, I'd clear out the end of one shelf, so there were books running up to it, then, say, an empty 10" space, and place the little stand of roses in there. If your DH would be offended by you removing the leaves - leave them on; it makes little difference in this sort of setting. A display case won't work - it needs about a thousand books to distract the eye. But when you have that, something like this can look just fine because it's part of a much, MUCH larger whole.

You wouldn't frame a drawing by your 5 year old and hang it in pride of place above the fireplace - but you *would* pin it on the fridge and it would look fine. Setting is everything.

Good luck!

I do the same thing @mrs-b..My son made me a caveman condo out of clay..He also made me a clay teapot with holes all over it. He was four. He asked me why I didn’t use it. I lined it with aluminum foil so it would hold water for a bit and served us aluminum tasting tea! Haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@GlitterInMyHair and @daisy LOL! These examples are hilarious! I found pics of two articles of clothing DH got me one Christmas. I’m very petite and this sweater was giant and ugly. It’s stretched across a lazy boy chair so you can see the size. And the tank top is teeny tiny. The nail polish beside it shows the scale. It’s never a great idea for guys to pick out clothes for their SOS imho but seriously this is what he came up with? Lol!!

58E1D506-00F1-4132-A747-943193E43679.jpeg

B542F1E8-B596-4396-B135-4BE5E4D1B03D.jpeg

@Mreader Now that I see it again it has a Pretty Woman vibe! Haha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you like paper flowers?
Like white ones or the ones made of old type print?
Some are done really really well.
Maybe interspersed in a bouquet of those would neutralize them into your decor, in a welcoming way?

@Rfisher That’s such a great idea but he would know what I was doing and feel hurt. He’s a bit sensitive.

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I woke up this morning with a smile knowing those horrific flowers were downstairs. They make me laugh which is so important..especially now. I have a husband that bought me gold dipped flowers because he thinks I’m a good mom. I’m going to leave them out in my kitchen just the way I got them. I smile every time I see them. He would be hurt if I tried to disguise them in a different way. I am going to frame the note and place it under the flowers so no one thinks I bought them! Hahahaha

I think this actually has the potential to become one of your favorite gifts one day when you look back. They might not be anything you’d ever pick out but coupled with the sentiment and given in love, they are already bringing joy ❤️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think this actually has the potential to become one of your favorite gifts one day when you look back. They might not be anything you’d ever pick out but coupled with the sentiment and given in love, they are already bringing joy ❤️

Exactly @jbake! I woke up this morning laughing..What could be better then that? He will probably love that I’m going to frame the note. I feel bad that I’m mainly doing that so no one thinks I bought them. I do save his cards. He always gets really nice ones..

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww, @MamaBee, they're not that bad!
Just display them for a while, then put them in a pretty vase in an inconspicuous place. It was a sweet gesture, and your DH meant well!

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
Exactly @jbake! I woke up this morning laughing..What could be better then that? He will probably love that I’m going to frame the note. I feel bad that I’m mainly doing that so no one thinks I bought them. I do save his cards. He always gets really nice ones..

Having the note framed will be a really sweet gesture back to your husband, and that it serves as a reminder of who picked them out is just a bonus ;)2

Happy (early) Mother’s Day to a solid gold mom & grandma! ❤️

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe in time they will “grow” on you ;-)

Seriously though sometimes something is so different and unexpected that it’s kind of a shock to the system. I find this to be true after painting a room, it takes a bit for the color to really grow on me.

That note though, priceless, that is one sweet guy you’ve got.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a small frame which I’ll use for now. I’ll get a nicer one later..I thought you would like to see all the colors..lol
71F477A9-4901-4976-82DB-0329034B6834.jpeg 576B1ED1-4D70-4E69-87D1-0D47E892C149.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Having the note framed will be a really sweet gesture back to your husband, and that it serves as a reminder of who picked them out is just a bonus ;)2

Happy (early) Mother’s Day to a solid gold mom & grandma! ❤️

Thank you @jbake..Happy Mother’s Day to you too! You have two cuties!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe in time they will “grow” on you ;-)

Seriously though sometimes something is so different and unexpected that it’s kind of a shock to the system. I find this to be true after painting a room, it takes a bit for the color to really grow on me.

That note though, priceless, that is one sweet guy you’ve got.

Thank you You’re right @YadaYadaYada The sentiment is so sweet. It was a shock but now I’m getting use to them. I still think they’re ugly..but they represent good things..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww, @MamaBee, they're not that bad!
Just display them for a while, then put them in a pretty vase in an inconspicuous place. It was a sweet gesture, and your DH meant well!

Thanks @stracci2000 He did mean well...Now I’m stressing out about future presents..If I get another whopper we will have to have the talk...haha

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad they make you smile--it is such a sweet sentiment. I think having the note in front of them looks great! Visually, I like the idea of making them shorter so they are just a mound above the frame. They seem a little 'over-stemmed' to me. But if it would hurt his feelings--just leave them alone
Do you have a garden? I think they might be fun stuck in with some flowering annuals in a pot.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Poor guy has horrific taste....:lol:

It’s all about perspective. When my wife says that about me I remind her I chose her and they must not be too terrible, lol.

Prior to finding and choosing my better half, I recall one of the worst gifts I gave. Me and girl had just started dating and she went on and on about John Wayne. My grandparents raised me, so I’m familiar with The Duke, but found it odd.

Fast forward several months and I see these John Wayne pictures at a fair. Guy logic says “hey stupid, remember how much she likes The Duke, think of the brownie points you will surely score”. So $10 later I am the owner of her sentimental and thoughtful gift.

Of course I couldn’t just give to her alone. No this was a grand majestic gift that must be shared & opened in front of her family.

Well let’s just say I rendered her and most her family speechless when she opened the package! But not her grandmother. That old lady shrieked in excitement for her granddaughter and loved me thereafter for being such a thoughtful gift giver.

Right up to the point I got her one of those plush toys that sang “Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer”. It was given as a joke as I knew her disdain for the song and we liked to banter back & forth. I’m not sure she ever truly forgave me.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@sledge Your timing was great! Hahaha What did she do with the posters?
You scored great points with her grandma! That’s so funny!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread has given me some good laughs and I thank your DH (and PSers) for that @MamaBee !

They look much nicer out of the wrap! Its like the SMTB thread when you don't really care for someone's ring but you find
something nice to say about it anyway.

Remember, you'll always be able to look back and enjoy the good laugh you got from this special* gift!

Love that you put the note in a frame! I'm sure your DH thinks its special!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww @MamaBee I don’t think it’s so bad. I love that he wanted so badly to surprise you with gold flowers. That note ❤️

He’s a keeper!

And within a few weeks I bet he won’t even notice them missing should “something “ happen to them. But lol they might *grow* on you. Pun intended. :lol:

Happy Mother’s Day!!! XOXO ❤️

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad they make you smile--it is such a sweet sentiment. I think having the note in front of them looks great! Visually, I like the idea of making them shorter so they are just a mound above the frame. They seem a little 'over-stemmed' to me. But if it would hurt his feelings--just leave them alone
Do you have a garden? I think they might be fun stuck in with some flowering annuals in a pot.

@Elizabeth35 That’s a great idea but
They could get ruined outside in a pot..:think::bigsmile: Of
course he could go right and buy me more! No! Haha
This thread has given me some good laughs and I thank your DH (and PSers) for that @MamaBee !

They look much nicer out of the wrap! Its like the SMTB thread when you don't really care for someone's ring but you find
something nice to say about it anyway.

Remember, you'll always be able to look back and enjoy the good laugh you got from this special* gift!

Love that you put the note in a frame! I'm sure your DH thinks its special!

This thread made me laugh! I’m trying to find something I like about them. I’m still trying..haha I love the note though..

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Awww @MamaBee I don’t think it’s so bad. I love that he wanted so badly to surprise you with gold flowers. That note ❤️

He’s a keeper!

And within a few weeks I bet he won’t even notice them missing should “something “ happen to them. But lol they might *grow* on you. Pun intended. :lol:

Happy Mother’s Day!!! XOXO ❤️

Happy Mother’s Day to you too @missy!

Oh..He would notice. Unfortunately...They are growing on me alright..like a fungus..I just focus on the nice note..:lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He’ll notice..He helped me arrange them. He said, “I don’t think you like them. You just like the thought.” I lied through my teeth because he looked hurt. :(2

lol, in my world that's an opening. I'd have seised it in my relationship, "and they are very very thoughtful".

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol, in my world that's an opening. I'd have seised it in my relationship, "and they are very very thoughtful".

@Rhea I couldn’t do it! :lol:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wifey says she loves them.
I got her a gold dipped rose as a gift many years ago and she still treasures it.

My first thought was, your wife is better liar than @MamaBee :devil:
...but I guess some women must like them. Clueless romantic men can't be their only market. It's really sweet that your wife treasures it really.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
awww i remember those from the 90s and totally get your reaction. but they look way nicer the way you've displayed them and the sentiment is sweet. happy mother's day!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
awww i remember those from the 90s and totally get your reaction. but they look way nicer the way you've displayed them and the sentiment is sweet. happy mother's day!

Thank you @bludiva..I need a bigger frame..haha
I don’t know if you have children, kitties, dogs, rabbits, etc..I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day no matter which way you spend it..

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Im back for a second, third, look...they are growing on me! Just think about this. He thought of you. Who cares what he was drawn too, obviously he didn’t go cheap or last minute. :lol: We all choose our battles and you made a lovely choice to confirm his choice of a present. Reminds me of a little boy bringing a dandelion to his mother. Of course, she accepts it and praises it all day long and even puts it in a glass on the kitchen counter. I think there is a little boy in every grown man. ;)2

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge Your timing was great! Hahaha What did she do with the posters?
You scored great points with her grandma! That’s so funny!

The rest of the story.

She tried to play off she liked them even though it was apparent otherwise. Being me, I decided to have some fun with her. So each time I would see her, I would intently look around and ask where the new art was and if she needed help. She had an array of (bad) excuses but I let them slide.

Finally after several months of this cat & mouse game, she broke down & came clean.

Short version is she was excited & nervous to be dating me and it got the best of her. She was so focused on making a good impression, which to her partially meant no awkward silence, she instead opted to grasp at the one thing she was familiar with (thanks to grandma) and go off on a tangent about The Duke, lol.

Shortly after, we re-gifted the posters to her grandma along with the funny backstory. Grandma was spunky and had a great sense of humor, so naturally we clicked and not only razzed each other but also unified to razz the girlfriend.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remember when the mom "accidentally" knocked over the leg lamp in A Christmas Story.

Just an idea...

Yes!! He loves that movie too..A neighbor near my house put one in the window as a joke. My husband got all excited because he thought he could get one. I told him to not even think about it! :lol-2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im back for a second, third, look...they are growing on me! Just think about this. He thought of you. Who cares what he was drawn too, obviously he didn’t go cheap or last minute. :lol: We all choose our battles and you made a lovely choice to confirm his choice of a present. Reminds me of a little boy bringing a dandelion to his mother. Of course, she accepts it and praises it all day long and even puts it in a glass on the kitchen counter. I think there is a little boy in every grown man. ;)2

Yes @MamaBear..That’s my thought exactly.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
The rest of the story.

She tried to play off she liked them even though it was apparent otherwise. Being me, I decided to have some fun with her. So each time I would see her, I would intently look around and ask where the new art was and if she needed help. She had an array of (bad) excuses but I let them slide.

Finally after several months of this cat & mouse game, she broke down & came clean.

Short version is she was excited & nervous to be dating me and it got the best of her. She was so focused on making a good impression, which to her partially meant no awkward silence, she instead opted to grasp at the one thing she was familiar with (thanks to grandma) and go off on a tangent about The Duke, lol.

Shortly after, we re-gifted the posters to her grandma along with the funny backstory. Grandma was spunky and had a great sense of humor, so naturally we clicked and not only razzed each other but also unified to razz the girlfriend.

@sledge I'm glad you told the rest of the story because I was really confused at first - she said she loved John Wayne, you gave her a poster of John Wayne, why didn't she like it? Hahaha. It reminds me of a friend of mine whose family somehow got onto the idea that her boyfriend and then subsequent husband really loved Elvis. He didn't. Yet whatever got them on that train, they kept going with it and every Christmas, birthday etc her family always gave him an Elvis gift - Elvis figurine, Elvis cds, etc. Neither one of them ever corrected them! :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results