shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your significant other given you a really tacky present? If so please make me feel better!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like paper flowers?
Like white ones or the ones made of old type print?
Some are done really really well.
Maybe interspersed in a bouquet of those would neutralize them into your decor, in a welcoming way?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This reminded me that growing up we had these metal flowers on the wall. Man, I never really understood this decor but different strokes….

BAFAAE25-78D5-4FBE-B498-63819083EFBB.jpeg

They are quite nice
They remind me of my grandma so im thinking late 1970s ??

you know @MamaBee spray paint comes in lots of really amazing colours ....
They might work as a repurposed decoration for Christmas/ Easter/ Halloween / Chinese new year/ Hanukkah/ May day/ Diwali .....
....Valentine's day ;)2

Then you only have to have them out for good (as in to keep them for good occasions ;)2 ) once a year

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@MamaBee, I have had this problem before and didn't want to hurt any feelings. If you have styled bookshelves, you can usually put them in an inconspicuous place. In the pic below, I am not crazy about the porcelain rose. But my grandfather gave it to me for Christmas one year and he was the best best granddaddy in the world. I enjoy seeing it even though it isn't my taste.

20210504_201422.jpg
The rose looks really nice there =)2
Ive seen one like that somewhere

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@GlitterInMyHair and @daisy LOL! These examples are hilarious! I found pics of two articles of clothing DH got me one Christmas. I’m very petite and this sweater was giant and ugly. It’s stretched across a lazy boy chair so you can see the size. And the tank top is teeny tiny. The nail polish beside it shows the scale. It’s never a great idea for guys to pick out clothes for their SOS imho but seriously this is what he came up with? Lol!!

58E1D506-00F1-4132-A747-943193E43679.jpeg

B542F1E8-B596-4396-B135-4BE5E4D1B03D.jpeg

That jersey looks like it would feel amazing
What a shame about the size
Id turn it into a cat blankie

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I would like to know if he bought that sweater in 1989? I remember chenille sweaters quite well. I would have worn that with multiple pairs of socks scrunched up, layered.

Bwahahahahaha! It was LAST YEAR! And yes it’s so 80s! (Which those roses seem 80s too btw). I don’t know why a store would even carry a chenille sweater in 2020!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another thing i do with ugly gifts from loved people is i use it so much it wears out
i got this kind of awful glass vase with my 21st present from my great aunty who i loved a lot
its my kitchen window sill (a dangerouse place for breakables)

Here is my shelf in the laundry (our wash house is out the back door)
Its stuff not nice enough (some are just worn out) for the house but they all have a story im still holding onto
20210421_171943.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bwahahahahaha! It was LAST YEAR! And yes it’s so 80s! (Which those roses seem 80s too btw). I don’t know why a store would even carry a chenille sweater in 2020!

This thread is giving us all a few smilies
The world has been a bit short of happy times of late
The gift has been worth it =)2

Edit and i say that with love in my heart toward your dear husband's good intentions

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom would seriously love those! Not my cup of tea, but they are growing on me. DH likes them. I would put them in my book room probably... Out and special but not as visible to others. Okay, I am off to see if I can get some before the weekend :lol:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah actually I think I might know what you're talking about. There was the ring he proposed with -- which he made in metal working class; based on the never ending story entwined snake motif when he was ~13. It probably had an inter radius of 2 cm and an outer radius of 4 cm, doesn't fit a single finger or toe (like 1 cm too large inner radius for any of them), can not be resized, oh and I have a phobia of snakes as my grandad used to break their backs and leave them (half alive) to die in places where I would accidentally stumble on them. Sounds awful-- but we had most of the world's top 17 most deadly snakes in our backyards as kids (most of these snakes which I steped on/stumbled over were on this list). It was routine to get them out of your backyard anyway possible if you had young kids. Then there were all the thoughtful bithday presents he gave me like mice, USB drives, laptop styluses which he would almost always just grab a couple of months later on his way to work (and I'd never ever see them again). Lol yeah I think I might know what you're talking about..... He doesn't buy me things anymore which is a bit sad, but its overall better this way.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee The roses are not *that* bad, lol.

My husband got me a motion activated billy bass singing fish once. He said he was trying for something unexpected :doh:

header-3-1.gif

LOL this brings back good memories for me. We hosted a neighborhood Christmas party and had a gift exchange with a twist, you could steal for up to 10 minutes and whoever had the gift at the end of the time got to keep.

Why I’m not sure, but the singing bass had grabbed all our attention. A dozen or so of us went to the ground fighting for the stupid thing.

I emerged from the dog pile, as the proud “victor” holding it over my head like a championship belt and chanting random trash. Yes, maybe a few eggnogs were involved.

I still have it hanging in my garage like a trophy. Mine is a Christmas version. Similar to this one I found on YT.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
When I saw your first post I was like “oh no...” but when I saw them out of the plastic and displayed the way you have them I thought “oh they are actually rather nice!”.

I reckon they will grow on you over time. And displaying the note frames under them is a wonderful idea.

HollyC

Brilliant_Rock
@MamaBee this gave me a good chuckle. My husband has given me some whoppers in his time and he gifted me a fake Rose for our 10th wedding anniversary (tin)....the base of the flower is made of tin :). He loves that it is still displayed.
E910E867-66D7-42FE-AC5B-AB3F0B63EE3F.jpeg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my spouse once surprised me with my in laws for my birthday. took me on a huge surprise road trip, wouldn’t tell me where the destination was for hours..

we stopped in wine country near Santa Ynez, and I walked into an old town chocolate shop... just to bump into my in laws who had also surprised my FIL in the same way.

the idiot thought I’d like to spend my birthday weekend with my in laws.

sharing the birthday festivities with my FIL whose birthday was the week prior.

He literally owes me for LIFE now.

but the worst part was, I had just surprised him two days prior with news we were finally pregnant. so I couldn’t even drink in wine country. and we had to make up an excuse for his family on why I couldn’t drink, and the closest excuse I had was “well, I’m back on anti-depressants” that popped out of my mouth, and they are NOT a very open-about-mental-illness family.

I started miscarrying the next day. And I had to keep smiles and pretend everything was okay around them til we got home to get checked etc.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my spouse once surprised me with my in laws for my birthday. took me on a huge surprise road trip, wouldn’t tell me where the destination was for hours..

we stopped in wine country near Santa Ynez, and I walked into an old town chocolate shop... just to bump into my in laws who had also surprised my FIL in the same way.

the idiot thought I’d like to spend my birthday weekend with my in laws.

sharing the birthday festivities with my FIL whose birthday was the week prior.

He literally owes me for LIFE now.

but the worst part was, I had just surprised him two days prior with news we were finally pregnant. so I couldn’t even drink in wine country. and we had to make up an excuse for his family on why I couldn’t drink, and the closest excuse I had was “well, I’m back on anti-depressants” that popped out of my mouth, and they are NOT a very open-about-mental-illness family.

I started miscarrying the next day. And I had to keep smiles and pretend everything was okay around them til we got home to get checked etc.

Worst birthday ever :(2
Im so sorry for you

I hope you never have a birthday like that again

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry @MamaBee, even my DH knows better than to get me something like that. :lol: Apart from the fact I’m not his mother, so he’s never bought me a Mother’s Day gift, I told him right from the beginning that it’s better not to buy me anything than get me something I don’t like.

I do think the sentiment is lovely though.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd display them. Just because life's too short and there's nothing more beautiful than a gift from someone who loves you.

I don't know if you care to try to improve the look of them, but cutting them down would be a big improvement and I'm sure a pair of wire cutters would allow you to shorten all that 'metallic-shiny stem' look. Were it me, I'd probably also snip off the leaves, since they're the most eye-catching - tho I wouldn't do that if I thought it would hurt my DH's feelings. When I had a more discrete, shorter bunch - say, around 8" tall - I'd put them on a book shelf. We have a 12' run of book cases in our office filled with books. In front of the books are all sorts of sentimental mementos - all meaningful, none of them especially beautiful. The detail and color of all the books distracts from anything I put on the book case with them, and I have my equivalent of metal tipped roses, rock collections from my god-kids, some truly fascinating sentimental, resin pieces I was given when my dogs died - and so on. It's obviously a collection of things I want to keep, rather than things I want to display. Ends up looking like one, detailed, patchwork piece of fabric (for example) rather than any single thing on display. And believe me when I tell you - I'm highly visual and very picky about how I decorate my home! For something like this, I'd clear out the end of one shelf, so there were books running up to it, then, say, an empty 10" space, and place the little stand of roses in there. If your DH would be offended by you removing the leaves - leave them on; it makes little difference in this sort of setting. A display case won't work - it needs about a thousand books to distract the eye. But when you have that, something like this can look just fine because it's part of a much, MUCH larger whole.

You wouldn't frame a drawing by your 5 year old and hang it in pride of place above the fireplace - but you *would* pin it on the fridge and it would look fine. Setting is everything.

Good luck!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd display them. Just because life's too short and there's nothing more beautiful than a gift from someone who loves you.

I don't know if you care to try to improve the look of them, but cutting them down would be a big improvement and I'm sure a pair of wire cutters would allow you to shorten all that 'metallic-shiny stem' look. Were it me, I'd probably also snip off the leaves, since they're the most eye-catching - tho I wouldn't do that if I thought it would hurt my DH's feelings. When I had a more discrete, shorter bunch - say, around 8" tall - I'd put them on a book shelf. We have a 12' run of book cases in our office filled with books. In front of the books are all sorts of sentimental mementos - all meaningful, none of them especially beautiful. The detail and color of all the books distracts from anything I put on the book case with them, and I have my equivalent of metal tipped roses, rock collections from my god-kids, some truly fascinating sentimental, resin pieces I was given when my dogs died - and so on. It's obviously a collection of things I want to keep, rather than things I want to display. Ends up looking like one, detailed, patchwork piece of fabric (for example) rather than any single thing on display. And believe me when I tell you - I'm highly visual and very picky about how I decorate my home! For something like this, I'd clear out the end of one shelf, so there were books running up to it, then, say, an empty 10" space, and place the little stand of roses in there. If your DH would be offended by you removing the leaves - leave them on; it makes little difference in this sort of setting. A display case won't work - it needs about a thousand books to distract the eye. But when you have that, something like this can look just fine because it's part of a much, MUCH larger whole.

You wouldn't frame a drawing by your 5 year old and hang it in pride of place above the fireplace - but you *would* pin it on the fridge and it would look fine. Setting is everything.

Good luck!

That's a much nicer suggestion than my wash house =)2

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
@MamaBee The roses are not *that* bad, lol.

My husband got me a motion activated billy bass singing fish once. He said he was trying for something unexpected :doh:

header-3-1.gif

Hahahaha!!!!!! By comparison the roses look spectacular:lol-2:

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I came back for a second look, and while they are not my taste, they are not as bad as I initially thought. I think Mrs. B has given you a great idea with the leaves and trimming them down. If you don't want to do that, I would simply remove the black flower, which I see as the biggest problem. Your husband might not even notice if the black one is gone. If he asks, just say that you wanted to keep it cheerful looking and the black flower was a little morbid. I would do this: pretty vase, the pink or white flower towards the front, and tuck it into a little spot on a bookshelf where you keep other meaningful items. I think you can spirit it away at Christmas and forget to put it back out again afterwards.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I woke up this morning with a smile knowing those horrific flowers were downstairs. They make me laugh which is so important..especially now. I have a husband that bought me gold dipped flowers because he thinks I’m a good mom. I’m going to leave them out in my kitchen just the way I got them. I smile every time I see them. He would be hurt if I tried to disguise them in a different way. I am going to frame the note and place it under the flowers so no one thinks I bought them! Hahahaha

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I came back for a second look, and while they are not my taste, they are not as bad as I initially thought. I think Mrs. B has given you a great idea with the leaves and trimming them down. If you don't want to do that, I would simply remove the black flower, which I see as the biggest problem. Your husband might not even notice if the black one is gone. If he asks, just say that you wanted to keep it cheerful looking and the black flower was a little morbid. I would do this: pretty vase, the pink or white flower towards the front, and tuck it into a little spot on a bookshelf where you keep other meaningful items. I think you can spirit it away at Christmas and forget to put it back out again afterwards.

@OdetteOdile Thank you..I‘ve decided to just put them out as he intended. They really make me laugh...I think he picks up that I don’t like them..so I don’t want to do anything else to make him feel bad. Poor guy has horrific taste....:lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@GlitterInMyHair and @daisy LOL! These examples are hilarious! I found pics of two articles of clothing DH got me one Christmas. I’m very petite and this sweater was giant and ugly. It’s stretched across a lazy boy chair so you can see the size. And the tank top is teeny tiny. The nail polish beside it shows the scale. It’s never a great idea for guys to pick out clothes for their SOS imho but seriously this is what he came up with? Lol!!

58E1D506-00F1-4132-A747-943193E43679.jpeg

B542F1E8-B596-4396-B135-4BE5E4D1B03D.jpeg

Omg @Mreader! I see the tag is still on! Haha

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results