shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your favourite vendor raised their prices.....

justginger

Ideal_Rock
kroshka|1401080987|3680145 said:
justginger|1401079368|3680129 said:
mr_kroshka|1401070269|3680039 said:
Setting prices are crazy. My thinking was instead of setting 3 FCD's into rings the money is better spent on buying the 4th one. The cycle continued and poor Kroshka didn't get to set some of the stones since last 10 years!

Another thing I noticed - most of the ladies who met me in Vegas last year are not going there this year. Is that just a coincidence or was it me :confused:

This is exactly what happens to me. I've purchased FCDs intending to set them, but can't stomach the setting prices these days, and don't want to risk going with a 'cheap' quote for fear of my FCD being smashed into tiny(er) pieces. ;(

Not to mention, I find it hard to come up with a design for smaller fcd's in general that would do the stone justice. Sometimes I think it might be easier to group multiple stones together in a ring. And then sometimes I think, but if I set the stone, then I can't have fun just playing with it alone or with its siblings with tweezers. And the thought of which vendor is right for the project.....sometimes it's too hard to decide or commit!

Kroshka

I don't feel so weird now! :bigsmile: DH constantly asks me when I'm going to "do something with those," generally with a bemused look on his face, as I marvel over them in their tiny little gem boxes. If I "did something" with them, then they wouldn't be in these little boxes and I wouldn't be able to pick them up and look at them from all directions. They'd be in a little (expensive!) jail of gold. :lol:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Setting prices are crazy. My thinking was instead of setting 3 FCD's into rings the money is better spent on buying the 4th one. The cycle continued and poor Kroshka didn't get to set some of the stones since last 10 years!

Another thing I noticed - most of the ladies who met me in Vegas last year are not going there this year. Is that just a coincidence or was it me :confused:

I wish I was going... We are building a new house.. So we are practicing "stay-cation" this year. We would very much like to go next year and take some extra time to venture out of the city. We loved meeting you and Mr. kroshka!

mr_kroshka

Rough_Rock
Me saying something obscene? No way!!

Matata can vouch for me :)

Dancing Fire|1401072666|3680057 said:

Did you say something "obscene" to the ladies?... :Up_to_something:

mr_kroshka

Rough_Rock
It was great meeting you and your hubby. Hopefully we can meet next year.

Mayk|1401082248|3680153 said:

I wish I was going... We are building a new house.. So we are practicing "stay-cation" this year. We would very much like to go next year and take some extra time to venture out of the city. We loved meeting you and Mr. kroshka!

mr_kroshka

Rough_Rock
justginger|1401081818|3680152 said:
I don't feel so weird now! :bigsmile: DH constantly asks me when I'm going to "do something with those," generally with a bemused look on his face, as I marvel over them in their tiny little gem boxes. If I "did something" with them, then they wouldn't be in these little boxes and I wouldn't be able to pick them up and look at them from all directions. They'd be in a little (expensive!) jail of gold. :lol:

I will show you mine if you show me yours - FCD's of course :saint:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Maisie|1400969648|3679409 said:
msop04|1400959067|3679352 said:
Looks like vendors may be reading in Hangout...

When I started this thread I did worry that my favourite vendor would see what I had written and feel like I was being unkind about them. I'm definitely not. I would still work with them if my project was affordable with them.

Do you think VC reads PS? Maybe a customer pointed it out to him.

He reads PS. He has sent me emails before upset with a comment I have made on PS- which has ruined our working relationship and why I don't use him anymore for any projects- that and my personal jewelry style is more in line with other vendors.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I wish I was going too, but we have a travel baseball tournament that weekend and it's also DHs birthday and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't convince him that the PS GTG would be a great way to spend his birthday!! He's not quite as patient as Mr. Kroshka.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1401102288|3680226 said:

I wish I was going too, but we have a travel baseball tournament that weekend and it's also DHs birthday and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't convince him that the PS GTG would be a great way to spend his birthday!! He's not quite as patient as Mr. Kroshka.

Oh Mr. Kroshka I'm not going either which is a bummer as you and the MRS was wonderful! But we are in Europe and I have a wedding on the East coast 2 weeks after so I couldn't fly over twice in one month. But maybe next year!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1401094019|3680192 said:

When I started this thread I did worry that my favourite vendor would see what I had written and feel like I was being unkind about them. I'm definitely not. I would still work with them if my project was affordable with them.

He reads PS. He has sent me emails before upset with a comment I have made on PS- which has ruined our working relationship and why I don't use him anymore for any projects- that and my personal jewelry style is more in line with other vendors.

That's upsetting. It does bother me when I see stuff like this.
It puts the whole concept of this website in question. Where vendors think they can sway your opinions and posts based on their personal relationship with you.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Niel said:

It puts the whole concept of this website in question. Where vendors think they can sway your opinions and posts based on their personal relationship with you.

Agreed. Upsetting but I'm guessing it is more frequent than some of us may realize.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1401117921|3680336 said:
Niel said:

Agreed. Upsetting but I'm guessing it is more frequent than some of us may realize.

Yeah... I would be upset if I came here to ask questions regarding a "vendor-issue" and the vendor got upset with me. That would be a bummer. From what I've read, most everyone here is pretty considerate of the feelings/privacy of the vendor, so to read things like this would make me reconsider posting if that were the case. A lot of times the OP just needs the opinions of others as to how to handle his/her situation -- and most of the time they aren't that upset. I can understand why most are very hesitant to disclose the name of the vendor, but sometimes it's unavoidable/obvious due to the OP's previous posts, so...

Hmmmm..... :| ::)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1401123220|3680372 said:
Niel said:

Yeah... I would be upset if I came here to ask questions regarding a "vendor-issue" and the vendor got upset with me. That would be a bummer. From what I've read, most everyone here is pretty considerate of the feelings/privacy of the vendor, so to read things like this would make me reconsider posting if that were the case. A lot of times the OP just needs the opinions of others as to how to handle his/her situation -- and most of the time they aren't that upset. I can understand why most are very hesitant to disclose the name of the vendor, but sometimes it's unavoidable/obvious due to the OP's previous posts, so...

What SB situation sounds like, and admittedly I don't know it, is if someone was like "would you pic SS or VC" and SB gave her honest opinion of VC and VC didn't like it.

Now it might not be as cut and dry as that. But I respect this board and the people who use it enough not to let a vendor dictate my posts and recommendations. And I'm glad SB did the same. But its a shame that you can't speak openly about a vendor without fear of getting a weird awkward email or worse!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1401124449|3680376 said:
Niel said:

What SB situation sounds like, and admittedly I don't know it, is if someone was like "would you pic SS or VC" and SB gave her honest opinion of VC and VC didn't like it.

Now it might not be as cut and dry as that. But I respect this board and the people who use it enough not to let a vendor dictate my posts and recommendations. And I'm glad SB did the same. But its a shame that you can't speak openly about a vendor without fear of getting a weird awkward email or worse!

To clarify it was actually someone who requested what vendor would fit their project best. I don't think VC does antique well so I recommended to go with SS, GL, and similar.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB if that is all it was then I think him emailing you was definitely inappropriate. Not all vendors do all styles well. To me that defeats the purpose of people to come here for honest opinions. While I don't agree with railing on a vendor if the customer has not tried to work it out first with them directly, a customer should be able to get advice here without fear of reprisal from the vendor. For the most part I think PSers do their best to be fair to the vendor.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hugs to you, Mr. Kroshka!!! I SO enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife! We had the best time shopping together!!! Our youngest daughter is graduating from high school on Friday the 30th! If I were going, I certainly would have attempted to contact you two to see if you were going!

Oh, and let her SET one of those stones!!!! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1401126349|3680390 said:
Niel said:

To clarify it was actually someone who requested what vendor would fit their project best. I don't think VC does antique well so I recommended to go with SS, GL, and similar.

SB, what antique ring was it that they were trying to reproduce? I think it would depend on the particular ring, personally. I don't think we have seen a lot of antique style rings from him yet because so many people get pave rings from him. He certainly does the most beautiful engraving I have ever seen, and his french cuts with milgrain is gorgeous as well. My sapphire earrings have a single cut halo. I consider all that antique style and he does those extremely well. If I wanted Yenny's ring, then yes, I would use the person who made hers since they have made that exact ring many times.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1401130172|3680440 said:
Niel said:

SB, what antique ring was it that they were trying to reproduce? I think it would depend on the particular ring, personally. I don't think we have seen a lot of antique style rings from him yet because so many people get pave rings from him. He certainly does the most beautiful engraving I have ever seen, and his french cuts with milgrain is gorgeous as well. My sapphire earrings have a single cut halo. I consider all that antique style and he does those extremely well. If I wanted Yenny's ring, then yes, I would use the person who made hers since they have made that exact ring many times.

I don't know if it matters what style it was. In SB's opinion other vendors could do the projects better than VC. She has every right to post her opinion on that. I just think its inappropriate that after all the recommendations and money SB gave VC that he thinks its appropriate the confront her like that. Its as if the favorited vendors expect PSers to be fanboys. That should not be the point of this forum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Niel, I wanted to base my statements on knowing the whole story which is always a good idea. But short of knowing the whole story, I just posted that I think that Victor does some beautiful antique style pieces. So perhaps that is why he might have been upset when said he doesn't do antique pieces well and wanted to question that. I believe BrightIce's old ring was made by Victor...french cuts and milgrain with an OEC and it was pretty magnificent. I will see mom2boys french cut and milgrain band in less than 2 weeks and am interested in one of those for myself. That's why I was curious what it was that the person wanted to make. Because maybe it was Singlestone or VanCraeynest, and in that case, I agree it is best to have them make their original pieces rather than trying to reproduce *. ( *With the exception of bands, and I intend to get a quote from Victor on a band that I saw from SS because I have complete confidence that he could make it.)

SB621

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1401130172|3680440 said:
Niel said:

In all honesty I don't remember, I'm sure you can look up the thread. This was several months ago but in RT. And as far as opinion goes all of your examples I would not qualify as antique or art deco. Not even close. I consider VC to do a very classic but contemporary style. He does lovely work but I haven't been impressed when he has gone outside of that style. Once again my opinion. I have always and will continue to recommend vendors that I believe would match best with what the OP is going for. Or at least give them options. Sometimes VC is the best match and sometimes other vendors are.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thread I can recall that I was involved in was about a Michael B ring, and that was a total pave ring, not antique style, that was why I was asking which one. But it doesn't matter. We can all have different opinions! As I just said, I agree that something like Yenny's ring needs to be made by SS and a Van Craeynest needs to be made by them. So we do agree that it is important to match a vendor to a project. I will have to disagree and say that french cuts and milgrain is antique, though. Circe has enough true antique ones to prove it. ;))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1401131689|3680456 said:
Well, Niel, I wanted to base my statements on knowing the whole story which is always a good idea. But short of knowing the whole story, I just posted that I think that Victor does some beautiful antique style pieces. So perhaps that is why he might have been upset when said he doesn't do antique pieces well and wanted to question that. I believe BrightIce's old ring was made by Victor...french cuts and milgrain with an OEC and it was pretty magnificent. I will see mom2boys french cut and milgrain band in less than 2 weeks and am interested in one of those for myself. That's why I was curious what it was that the person wanted to make. Because maybe it was Singlestone or VanCraeynest, and in that case, I agree it is best to have them make their original pieces rather than trying to reproduce *. ( *With the exception of bands, and I intend to get a quote from Victor on a band that I saw from SS because I have complete confidence that he could make it.)

As was mentioned in a previous post, the story/topic/thread is irrelevant when it comes to the principle of the matter. :halo:

The point is that if someone thinks a vendor is best suited (or not) for a specific style of work (be it vintage, modern, etc) or even if they simply want to discuss an issue, then the member should feel free to voice an opinion or tell her story without fear of straining relationships and/or retaliation from the vendor in question. :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop...Not a single person here has said we should not express our opinion on what vendor we think is best for a project. :))

I am not sure why you used the word "retaliation" because that has nothing to do with anything posted on this thread. :confused:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1401140231|3680533 said:
msop...Not a single person here has said we should not express our opinion on what vendor we think is best for a project. :))

I am not sure why you used the word "retaliation" because that has nothing to do with anything posted on this thread. :confused:

I think she was saying to your quote about

SB, what antique ring was it that they were trying to reproduce? I think it would depend on the particular ring, personally.

because what does it matter what style it was. I think SB was allowed to voice her opinion regardless of what "particular ring" it was. And I'm sure you probably meant that it depended on the style if you would recommend VC or not, and that makes to total sense. But the issue is that she felt it unwise to recommend VC regardless of what particular vintage style. Which she should be allowed to do without getting emails from a "hurt" or "upset" vendor.

I mean I think you could agree, one should be able to voice their opinions without fear of getting reprimanded by a vendor, right?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1401140231|3680533 said:

DS, I think you're missing the point of various posters comments, yet it seems we are all in agreement on the subject. You are absolutely right, no one said that we shouldn't express our opinions on what vendor we think is best. However, when SB did this very thing, she received a message from her vendor. (see below) Because of incidents, such as SB's, several have stated that they may have some reservations about discussing an issue about a vendor on this forum because they don't want to "burn bridges" or go thru something similar to what SB described. Although some may want to express their opinion, they feel as though they cannot without some fear of retaliation, KWIM?? :|

by SB621 » 26 May 2014 02:46

If you don't like the word retaliation, we can use "rebuke" -- it's similar, yet not as "punch you in the face"... but, hey! it's your world -- call it whatever synonym you choose!! LOL ;)) :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It mattered because there was something specific said in a thread that I recall (I had to search but I found it), and I can see why a ringmaker would contact the person who said it (a previous customer) to get clarification. It has nothing whatsoever to do with who people were recommending or not recommending. The ironic thing was that the ring the OP wanted to make was NOT antique style...it was pave in platinum which is exactly what Victor specializes in. I did not know that they had contact at the time, and I did not alert him to the thread. There were many people on the thread who used him for projects and any one of them may have alerted him. Same with this thread, it wasn't me, in case anyone thinks otherwise.

That's enough of the off topic discussion for me! Have a good rest of your Memorial Day! :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1401144401|3680563 said:
It mattered because there was something specific said in a thread that I recall (I had to search but I found it), and I can see why a ringmaker would contact the person who said it (a previous customer) to get clarification. It has nothing whatsoever to do with who people were recommending or not recommending. The ironic thing was that the ring the OP wanted to make was NOT antique style...it was pave in platinum which is exactly what Victor specializes in. I did not know that they had contact at the time, and I did not alert him to the thread. There were many people on the thread who used him for projects and any one of them may have alerted him. Same with this thread, it wasn't me, in case anyone thinks otherwise.

That's enough of the off topic discussion for me! Have a good rest of your Memorial Day! :wavey:

I'm not interested in the "he said, she said" and in this particular thread/style... or which vendor did what to whom or in which style that they may or may not be known for... it's irrelevant. :|

We should be able to post our issues and opinions on any and all vendors without worry we may be scolded, per se. They are opinions. If you think SS is better at milgrain than SK, but I think the opposite, it's a difference of opinions, and shouldn't warrant any form of reprimand or reproach from either vendor in question. **Of course, that would not include any slanderous remarks, to which I would think the vendor and/or other posters would need to clarify or set the record straight.

As far as wondering who may have mentioned something to VC, you never crossed my mind. :halo: ;)) I wouldn't worry with it -- it doesn't really matter and is irrelevant anyway. :wavey:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...and sorry to get so sidetracked, OP!!! 8) 8) :halo: :halo:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1401145977|3680574 said:
diamondseeker2006|1401144401|3680563 said:

I'm not interested in the "he said, she said" and in this particular thread/style... or which vendor did what to whom or in which style that they may or may not be known for... it's irrelevant. :|

We should be able to post our issues and opinions on any and all vendors without worry we may be scolded, per se. They are opinions. If you think SS is better at milgrain than SK, but I think the opposite, it's a difference of opinions, and shouldn't warrant any form of reprimand or reproach from either vendor in question
. **Of course, that would not include any slanderous remarks, to which I would think the vendor and/or other posters would need to clarify or set the record straight.

As far as wondering who may have mentioned something to VC, you never crossed my mind. :halo: ;)) I wouldn't worry with it -- it doesn't really matter and is irrelevant anyway. :wavey:

+1

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1401146080|3680575 said:
...and sorry to get so sidetracked, OP!!! 8) 8) :halo: :halo:
Haha yes!

Back to the matter at hand.

Everything is too expensive! DK better stay competitive for a year or two lol. I have a project I think he would just be perfect for!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the case where a false statement is made, I think a vendor has a right to question the person who said it. You may not agree, that's fine by me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results