shape
carat
color
clarity

Has your favourite vendor raised their prices.....

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
......beyond what you are comfortable paying?

I had a favourite vendor, I'm sure most of us do, but I now find I just can't afford their prices anymore. I'm not talking about stock items (although they do seem higher than other vendors) but custom pieces. This makes me sad because I've been a customer of theirs for many years.

I find it hard working with a new vendor. There is a certain trust built up when you've worked with someone for so long and the idea of someone new can be daunting.

Has anyone else had this experience? Did you move on to a new vendor? Or did you pay the extra money to stay with your favourite vendor?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I have had custom made are sapphire halo earrings by Victor Canera. He certainly did a wonderful job and I'd love him to make other things for me. But I will say overall, as I hear other people's quotes around here especially for handforged, yes, I think prices are getting out of the range of my comfort level. I think $6k+ is pretty crazy for an e-ring setting unless there are a couple of large side diamonds included in that!

I recently tried on some SingleStone pieces that were fabulous, but the prices seemed kind of crazy to me. I am considering trying Caysie van Bebber or David Klass as I think their work looks really good and hopefully the prices are a little better from what I am hearing.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yup...price have gotten crazy but I think when ppl get popular on PS and the fandom goes up so does their pricing. I can say from experience I think if I could go back in time I would definitely do some of my projects different and others I would have prioritized to the top of the list had i known how badly the price hikes would be. Oh well, I got big portions of my collection done before the prices were too bad If I had waited I think it would have hurt alot more.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just remembered that I had Leon make a solitaire setting for my first diamond after PS. So make that two custom projects. It was a LOT easier buying those Beaudry settings and they were great deals, too! :lol:

I may try to look at antique rings and second hand since sometimes those can be far better buys.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not only the settings from places like the golden 3 - Victor, Steven and Leon, a lot of setting prices that are quality have gone up, Singlestone's prices are high, Van Cs are high, even places like ERD have all gone up substantially over the past 2 to 3 years. Custom cut stones like AVCs and AVRs are going up in price each year and the fact old cuts are so popular on here has seen a steady decline in those amazing ebay bargains that I used to see 4 to 5 years ago back when I first lurked but didn't say much..... Some coloured stones have gone up substantially in pricing in the last 5 years as well!!!!

I have become the preloved bower bird of shopping on many of the high end settings that I purchase, and some of the stones too!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad it's not just me that's feeling the pinch :lol:

I wish I could go back a few years and buy all the things on my list and pay a lot less! I would still like to buy an OEC 5 stone ring, an engraved platinum band to go with my new ering and I've already ordered a rose gold diamond band. The plat band is a really good price from DK as is the RG band. I'm still waiting for a quote for the 5 stone but I'm pretty sure it will be less than the big vendors.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course! They all have. When I first started buying from DBL I remember at one point he sold a W-X I1 radiant, still looked nice and yellow and the inclusions weren't that bad IRl, about 4 cts in a halo setting for 15k! At this point I know I would be lucky to get around 2.5-3 with no setting for the same money. This is why I now mostly focus on pre-owned if I can find what I want.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, everything has gone up significantly except my take home salary. ;( Stock settings, custom settings, diamonds, coloured diamonds and coloured stones have gone up. Remember the days of $1K for a custom halo setting in platinum and I used to think it was expensive back then? Wish I'd done more setting work then.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. To the point where I am not even saving for new gems anymore. You stalk a stone for a long time and then one day you see that even though it has been sitting unpurchased for 4 years, it is now $2700 more expensive. Not that I'm bitter :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't been around here too long, but I find sense ive been here BG has had, in my opinion, overpriced settings. Like, if I remember he won't do a three stone under 1k, EXCLUDING stones. For what he offers I think most everything is overpriced setting wise.

I'm a tad frugal (cough cheap cough ) and i will gladly try new vendors if I find their examples nice and their prices reasonable.

But my stones cost a small fraction of many of the stones on PS. Maybe if the setting cost less than the stones then id consider it. But my whole e ring costs as much as VC charges for a setting.

I've seen where LM won't do any setting for less than 2k.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1400845894|3678683 said:
I'm glad it's not just me that's feeling the pinch :lol:

I wish I could go back a few years and buy all the things on my list and pay a lot less! I would still like to buy an OEC 5 stone ring, an engraved platinum band to go with my new ering and I've already ordered a rose gold diamond band. The plat band is a really good price from DK as is the RG band. I'm still waiting for a quote for the 5 stone but I'm pretty sure it will be less than the big vendors.

Which rose gold diamond band?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's this one but in rose gold. I've asked that the sides are engraved too :))

_18494.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think prices are kind of crazy now everywhere, frankly. I'm relieved I am done buying.

I never had a favorite vendor though, I went with the quote that was lowest.

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1400860471|3678818 said:

I have wanted one of these for the longest. Regret not buying the preloved one that was posted last year are so. Anyway I saw in another thread that these were $650 for 14k. Was it much more for engraving on the sides? Are you doing 14k RG or 18k? Can't wait to see the final pics of this!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hathalove|1400861832|3678831 said:

I have wanted one of these for the longest. Regret not buying the preloved one that was posted last year are so. Anyway I saw in another thread that these were $650 for 14k. Was it much more for engraving on the sides? Are you doing 14k RG or 18k? Can't wait to see the final pics of this!

I love that band, too! Can't wait to see it Maisie! I hope DK keeps his pricing within the realm of normal people!

SB621

Ideal_Rock

hehehe glad you will get the RG version Maisie! Please post as I'm curious to see photos. DK told me since I had mine done he gets a lot of requests for it and I know a few other PSers that now owe it, but all did PLAT or WG so I really want to see a YG or RG version as I'm really tempted!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it may have been a mistake to have such loyalty to one vendor. If I had kept it more of a business transaction and less of a friendship I would have shopped around more and felt like I could use someone else. I do love this vendor though. They are lovely people.

I also hope DK doesn't raise his prices too! His work is fantastic and I love that I can afford him!

I'm excited to get my new band. I've seen some gorgeous platinum or white gold rings stacked with a rose gold band and they look amazing! I was quoted $750.

What bites the most is that my first 1ct J vs2 diamond was around $4000. That was in 2007. It's around $6000 now. I wish I hadn't gone crazy and sold all my jewellery because replacing it now is expensive!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My Bruddah has beautiful taste and in rose gold too! I will have to borrow that Bruddah. :praise:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lorelei|1400932076|3679200 said:

My Bruddah has beautiful taste and in rose gold too! I will have to borrow that Bruddah. :praise:

Any time my lovely Bruddah!
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1400933240|3679203 said:
Lorelei|1400932076|3679200 said:

Any time my lovely Bruddah!
1237379fdqxrvb3f5.gif

Thank you dear Bruddah!
woohoo.gif

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm feeling this pain.... right now and trying to decide if I can manage to pick a forever setting... Quotes from Maytal Hannah, Sareen, Leon, VC and SK... that is also in the order from lowest to highest...

Right now.. it's down to Sareen, Leon and one more wild card I'm working on... that is just below Sareen's price... sadly VC and SK were out of my range.. and I loved the Evelyn by VC it would have been an easy choice.

But I still feel my self waffling around afraid to commit. :-o

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1400942022|3679230 said:
I'm feeling this pain.... right now and trying to decide if I can manage to pick a forever setting... Quotes from Maytal Hannah, Sareen, Leon, VC and SK... that is also in the order from lowest to highest...

Right now.. it's down to Sareen, Leon and one more wild card I'm working on... that is just below Sareen's price... sadly VC and SK were out of my range.. and I loved the Evelyn by VC it would have been an easy choice.

But I still feel my self waffling around afraid to commit. :-o

Seriously! Committing to the setting is hard! I have never been successful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, Mary! That is a very interesting price quote comparison! How far apart were the top three? How far down was Maytal compared with SK.

I need to use Maytal for something sometime. She made my daughter's wedding band and it is gorgeous.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If there was a setting I truly wanted I would probably save up. The problem is (as most of you know!) is that i'm not known for my commitment to jewellery I buy. So it would have to be my final, never allowed to change/upgrade/sell piece for me to spend a lot of money.

At the minute i'm just collecting pieces that are one offs and that i'm hoping to keep for my daughters.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think prices are crazy everywhere, Maisie. After seeing Catmom's gorgeous earrings, I went in search of some for myself. Not just like hers, but some little dangles. Everywhere, except maybe IDJ, the prices were so very high. I stopped in at a local jewelers and they had some pretty flower leverbacks with 60 points of stones and they wanted 4800.! I think I said something like, those are just not a good value for me. I ended up ordering a really pretty pair from costco, with 1.5 carats of stones for 2299. I wont be making any big purchases in the future, I dont think. I have some yellow stones I would like to have haloed, but the cost might be prohibitive.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1400945358|3679245 said:
Goodness, Mary! That is a very interesting price quote comparison! How far apart were the top three? How far down was Maytal compared with SK.

I need to use Maytal for something sometime. She made my daughter's wedding band and it is gorgeous.

Sent you a message :bigsmile: with the details....

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just to clarify, this ring was $650 for a FULL eternity?? If so, that's one of the best prices I've seen!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like vendors may be reading in Hangout...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400959061.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1400958743|3679351 said:

Just to clarify, this ring was $650 for a FULL eternity?? If so, that's one of the best prices I've seen!

Yes full eternity but I'm paying $750. I don't know if that's because it's rose gold. Still a really good price :)

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1400964189|3679373 said:
msop04|1400958743|3679351 said:

Yes full eternity but I'm paying $750. I don't know if that's because it's rose gold. Still a really good price :)

I feel like that is because you are getting the sides engraved?! No? It would make sense to me that you pay $100 more for the engraving work...?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results