shape
carat
color
clarity

has pricescope ever gotten out of control for you financially?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
ok - i probably worded that wrong right off the bat. however...

i''ve wondered, as i''ve spent time on PS, about my own tendency to see things and think "i want that! oh - and i want THAT! and i want THAT - too! and could you just throw in a couple of those and 2 or three pairs of that thing sitting behind it?"

i mean, PS is such a visual medium, i wondered if it has the potential to lead people - not only to WANT things they cant afford - but to also make unwise purchases or dangerous use of CC''s.

had anyone out there ever bought something they really couldn''t afford because they''d been drooling over it on pricescope?

let''s speak up and support each other if this is happening, cause in this economy, getting in over our heads financially is no laughing matter, and i could totally see how jewelry purchasing could get out of control.

and i''m not just referring to putting too much pressure on your bank account. have you ever put pressure on your significant relationship because you kept angling for something your partner either didn''t think you/he could afford or just didn''t want to give you?

is anybody out there flying too close to the wind? does anyone need help to regain some perspective? when all is said and done, rings are just a little piece of metal and rock on your finger, but on PS they are an obsession....

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear ya! But nope. I have to live in my real world.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hi, there. Good question. I think I got that disease some time back where I found myself wanting "more, more, more". I sort of took a break from here for a while and then that kind of went away and I was focused more on the important things in life. I have upgraded my ring several times, so I never really spent lots of money at a time and I am really happy with what I have now, but there is always something bigger, better, and more sparkly to get that itch going again. I just have to remind myself that I am lucky to have what I do have. I come here now more to socialize, but it does get the wheels turning on that next project!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. But I do have too many gems. Although I blame Barry for that...

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I am a saver by nature. I will not spend money I know I can not spend. So, I''m satisfied just to look, and never tempted to buy anything I''ve seen.

But, I do have a weakness for handbags.
28.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm perhaps I will have cause to revisit this thread in a year or so!
4.gif

So far, so good. just. I don''t have any budget to speak of though, so it''s not like I can readily scratch my itch.

I was looking at coloured stones the other day and my DH came up and looked over my shoulder.

"Not allowed for another five years,'' he said. (I did get my PS 5-year anni ring only a month or so ago... my first purchase!)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've definitely gone through phases of "ooh, I want want want," but it was never more than a playful distraction. I haven't acted on a single PS-inspired "want," in the 2.5+ years I've been hanging around here.

Being inspired by others' pieces and purchasing more/differently than you maybe would have if you hadn't found the site is one thing, but dangerous use of credit cards? Buying things one can't afford? Pressure on your relationship over jewelry items?? NO. Absolutely not. Never in a million years.

I love my jewelry, but don't buy much or often. For me, PS is vicarious living, not personal shopping inspiration.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
For me, no... though PS does give me the WANT WANT WANT bug. However, I am totally not an impulse buyer and the WANT usually passes. If not, I save up and get it eventually. Sadly, most of us cannot have one of everything (aAND a roof over our heads
3.gif
)

eta- agree w/ musey on the vicarious! Saves me lots of $$!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 8:59:59 PM
Author: steph72276
Hi, there. Good question. I think I got that disease some time back where I found myself wanting ''more, more, more''. I sort of took a break from here for a while and then that kind of went away and I was focused more on the important things in life. I have upgraded my ring several times, so I never really spent lots of money at a time and I am really happy with what I have now, but there is always something bigger, better, and more sparkly to get that itch going again. I just have to remind myself that I am lucky to have what I do have. I come here now more to socialize, but it does get the wheels turning on that next project!
slap4.gif
there ain''t nothing more important then diamonds.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think we've all had those feelings, to some extent, during our time on PS. Well, I take that back, there are probably those who haven't, but I'd guess they are in the minority.

I think for me it was mostly a question of just giving it time (which I try to do before any large purchase) and letting myself recognize how low a priority large diamonds were/are at this point in my life. That may change someday (and probably will), but for now, I often look at my wedding set and flower cluster pendant fondly and think of the love from my DH that they represent and how I'll be happy to wear them forever, if that's how things work out. Now, if we do very well, and there's the budget for an upgrade, I wouldn't say no, either
2.gif
31.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
This is actually a good thread.
With that said, I doubt PS will ever have an "upgrade" influence on me other than I may someday go higher in color on my e-ring. But that was something I should have considered last year, prior to getting the stone. No one to blame but myself and I can live with it
1.gif

I also get much more of a kick spending on something my husband and I can enjoy together, like traveling.

In the end, diamonds are not really a part of my life. They''re not going to buy us our dream apartment in the city, they''re not going to pay my bills and the last thing I want to be is the girl with the 3ct rock but nothing else to show in my life.

Sure, they''re beautiful to look at, but so is my husbands face when i forgo that extra stone and take him on a long weekend trip instead.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suspect that if I have never found PS then I would not be upgrading my RB right now... but the diamond bug hit pre-PS so who knows. I won''t go into dept over it though. But, sometimes I think I need to take a break from PS so that I stop wanting a bigger diamond. In the real world I live in, my .80ct is already huge!

But I really like the people here, beyond the bling, so it is hard to think about leaving unless there was a really good reason! Diamonds have become a hobby for me. I just wish is was a less expensive hobby
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 9:42:14 PM
Author: musey
I've definitely gone through phases of 'ooh, I want want want,' but it was never more than a playful distraction. I haven't acted on a single PS-inspired 'want,' in the 2.5+ years I've been hanging around here.

Being inspired by others' pieces and purchasing more/differently than you maybe would have if you hadn't found the site is one thing, but dangerous use of credit cards? Buying things one can't afford? Pressure on your relationship over jewelry items?? NO. Absolutely not. Never in a million years.

I love my jewelry, but don't buy much or often. For me, PS is vicarious living, not personal shopping inspiration.
Ditto, hehe I think you and I started the same time too. I do have a few things I will get eventually but not at this moment. I found this site when shopping for my ring and ultimately bought it from a PS vendor.
1.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, this has not happened to me, but I can see how it could
32.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I came here to save money, not spend.

That being said, I spent a bit more than I wanted to on a pad, but that wasn''t really the fault of PS, except to alert me to what a pad was!!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
ladies! you are all models of self restraint!
36.gif

some of you probably know that i worked as a psychologist for many years before moving to the US 6 years ago, and i do wonder if there are those on pricescope for whom the acquisition of ''the next upgrade or the next bit of bling'' has gotten out of control. Being addicted to shopping is a very real addiction for a frightening number of people - in many ways not far removed from obsessive compulsive tendencies, so i''m sure there''s people here who struggle with self restraint and with keeping perspective when a little voice inside is going "buy it! buy it! go on - you''ll feel better if you do..."

i suspect, tho, that the people we''ll hear from on this thread are those without this problem, whereas the people who battle this will remain silent.

and since almost everyone included ''stay away from credit cards!!'' in the advice they''d give their younger selves, i suspect getting the whole budgeting experience under control is harder than a lot of us let on.

altho i don''t shop compulsively and am lucky with my allowance for this sort of thing, i have DEFINITELY bought things i didn''t need, or even - after a few years, months, or sometimes even weeks! - didn''t want! i have definitely struggled with the voice that told me i needed X, Y or Z to keep up, and my best friend and i often joke about the eternal search for ''that one purchase-able item which will give our lives meaning and complete our happiness as human beings!" it''s a materialistic society and i am not immune from it. i''m lucky in that i don''t have an addictive-type personality. if i DID, however, i think places like PS would be torture.

anyway, just an interesting topic to put up and on which to hear people''s thoughts.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I set a budget each year and stick to it. Usually I figure out what I want and use PS as a tool to figure out how to get the best quality stone for the money.

And then I also live vicariously though others
31.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
this past year since joining PS has done wonders for my jewelry collection but not so much for my bank acct. I''m really trying to pull it back for a while now though since i have a bunch of expenses coming up...but yeah.
32.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 9:05:09 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Nope. But I do have too many gems. Although I blame Barry for that...
*snort*giggle* You're a hoot, Freke
9.gif

In all seriousness though, I probably wouldn't have a couple of the pieces I have now, if not for PS. Sure, PS may have planted some seeds that grew into a longing for a new sparkly, but this is something I buy once in a blue moon, and it's the reason I work two casual jobs on top of my full time career. I am NOT an impulse buyer, and sleep on ideas and research them. If the 'want' is still there, I save up the dosh!

I prioritise, and simply wouldn't make such purchases if there were more important things to come first. I don't need to work an extra 20 hours a week, but I choose to, because it results in 'extra' money for me to do with as I please. The mortgage and bills are more than taken care of with DH and my full time wages, so why not? DH works another job that allows him to fund his car racing habit (and lemme tell ya, that is way more $$$ than bling!!
6.gif
) and we both agree that each other's play money is just that. A time will come when I don't wish to work so much, or if I leave work to have a baby, and the spending will stop with the extra money ceasing to come in.

After that rather long-winded response full of fluff, YES my time on PS has made me want!
9.gif
But I have to be sensible about it, and there are simply some things I cannot and will not ever have or be able to afford or justify, period. I only buy what I can afford.

Great thread, Whitby! Really got me thinking. Plus, I love another opportunity to look at your avatar... too CUTE!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found PS when I was looking for a new diamond. I have upgraded 3 times and bought 3 new settings. I haven't used a credit card to do any of it. I saved up for each change.

I don't think I would use credit to buy anything. I don't want get into debt over diamonds.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to be completely honest and say YES. While what I spend is does not even come close to what I see people buying on here, it really is more than I can afford. I would never ever have thought I''d end up with a diamond the size I have(even though it cost me less than my sil paid for hers that''s half the size). I bargain shop, big time, but even those bargains are more than I really can afford.

Then I justify it by realizing how little I spend on myself compared to what hubby has bought through the years and even what others in my family spend on themselves. I feel guilty spending $280 on myself because I know I can''t afford it but I do it anyway because I''ve realized that I don''t have to ignore my wants ALL the time. I did that for the first 16 years of my marriage and didn''t get a gold star for it :)

But honestly, yes, Pricescope makes me want things I don''t need and have bought just because of that, egads with a credit card! If I didn''t use my cc I would NEVER get them because my husband is the breadwinner and he doesn''t seem to give me much cash(I try for a $50 week allowance but don''t always get it and sometimes, rarely, I do get more than $50).

Anyhoo, I just wanted to be honest. It''s great that everyone else has no problems only buying what they can afford. I debated on posting this but I read some really truly great honest things about people on the Who''s who threads and since they were so honest, I will be too.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS certainly has added to the list of "Ohhh I WANT that" and has surely fueled the diamond fire. I make these purchases now instead of eating lunch out, buying clothes, and other random purchases. But I do recognize what is in the realm of my budget and what isn't. I'm not going out and buying a 2 carat diamond just because I want it!

ETA: I should add that I do sometimes take breaks from SMTR and RockyTalk because sometimes that "I want it" bug does start to influence my thinking. So then I know it's time to take a break for a while until it passes.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Yay for your honest post mmpretty!
36.gif

You sound like me ... a princess in a cabbage patch!

1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I am very satisfied with what I have, I prefer to help others find a great diamond with the knowledge I have acquired, I am not really looking for myself these days. I am pretty selective also so it isn't often I see anything I really feel I want.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
As others have mentioned, I think many of us come here because diamonds are expensive and we want to make sure we are as educated as possible so we can get the most bang for our buck. I don''t think of PSers as women who are dripping in diamonds and can''t get enough, but rather a group of smart women who use the site as a great tool for learning and teaching others, thus I think the predisposition here is to make the best decision possible. I have to admit that I am delighted that PSers always advise that a person should only buy what he/she can afford and always pay cash. Also, we are up front about saying that diamonds are not an investment, they are a hobby.

I can''t tell you how many rings I''ve coveted on PS...this site is full of beautiful, original rings. I''ve decided to focus on one project for my five-year anniversary and love all of the inspiration I get from PS. Seeing so many gorgeous rings on one site does make it impossible to decide, but focusing on one big project instead of a bunch of smaller ones helps me stay more focused.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:29:46 AM
Author: makemepretty
I''m going to be completely honest and say YES. While what I spend is does not even come close to what I see people buying on here, it really is more than I can afford. I would never ever have thought I''d end up with a diamond the size I have(even though it cost me less than my sil paid for hers that''s half the size). I bargain shop, big time, but even those bargains are more than I really can afford.

Then I justify it by realizing how little I spend on myself compared to what hubby has bought through the years and even what others in my family spend on themselves. I feel guilty spending $280 on myself because I know I can''t afford it but I do it anyway because I''ve realized that I don''t have to ignore my wants ALL the time. I did that for the first 16 years of my marriage and didn''t get a gold star for it :)

But honestly, yes, Pricescope makes me want things I don''t need and have bought just because of that, egads with a credit card! If I didn''t use my cc I would NEVER get them because my husband is the breadwinner and he doesn''t seem to give me much cash(I try for a $50 week allowance but don''t always get it and sometimes, rarely, I do get more than $50).

Anyhoo, I just wanted to be honest. It''s great that everyone else has no problems only buying what they can afford. I debated on posting this but I read some really truly great honest things about people on the Who''s who threads and since they were so honest, I will be too.

hi makemepretty :)

i started this thread largely because, like you, i''ve sen a huge ability for people on PS to be honest about their struggles. that...and because i know that the more i look at something, the more significance it assumes in my head.

i remember a house i used to own in australia. it needed a lot of work but had the ability to be gorgeous. i woke up every day wanting to renovate that house, wondering what i could do, when i could do it, and how i could squeeze the money out of my budget to afford it. and then i went back to university to do my second master''s degree...and i didnt think about renovating that house for 2 years. it was incredible. as soon as my gaze shifted direction, other things became more important. i remember a quote from the movie ''silence of the lambs''. hannibal lecter asks jodie foster''s character why and when we begin to covet. she suggetss that we covet that which we want. and he says "no - we covet that which we see every day." i wonder if, even tho most of us might be able to afford what we spend on jewelry, if we''d choose to spend our disposable money on different things if we just looked at different things...

there''s a thread in ''hangout'' also which asks about our daydreams. i posted on that thread and rattled on about wanting to finish renovating my house (yes - back to that - different house now, same obsession!) and wanting to achieve more with the series of young adult fiction i''ve been writing for the last few years. i had this lovely mental image of me in a beautiful house, world renowned author, with my dogs and perfect husband...

and then the next poster came on and said she wanted a large property to help animals and abused children. MAN did that pull me up short!

i am not at ALL anti jewelry; anyone who has seen my jewelry box would tell you that! (well, I could tell you that - in fact - consider yourselves told! i am very, very pro jewelry!!) i just have to make sure i spend my time looking at all the things worth looking at, so that my dreams and aspirations, wants and desires stay in a healthy and honorable equilibrium.

and my bank balance stays somewhere approaching where it should be!

a big MWAH to you all, my ring sisters!, and thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Whitby- I think this is a fascinating topic and something I have often thought about. I have often wondered, as much as I love browsing through these forums and looking at all the smtr threads, how many people have either become dissatisfied with their rings they were perfectly happy with before coming here.. or felt somehow that what they, or their ring or stone somehow "couldn''t compete" because their stats weren''t perfect or just wanted to buy something new because they saw it here and then eveyone started buying it and they had to have .. huggie earrings, earring jackets, anniversary rings, items from a "newly discovered" craftsman.... I often find myself "wanting" something I see and wondering how does everyone afford to buy all these new expensive things all the time.. I think it''s easy sometimes to lose one''s perspective and I personally myself struggle with constantly reigning myself in from many of lifes distractions....That search is a little addictive to me and it''s always been easy to fall into the trap of thinking that if I finally complete my list of items I want then........blah, blah, blah..I''m this or that :) I love jewelry and love this forum because it''s educating and fun but I worry about it affects sometimes ..I''m rambling but thanks again for this thread.. very interesting.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
oh.. i guess to anser the original question.. it''s not so much buying things I can''t afford.. just thinking later about all the other things that could be done with the money. Asking myself what''s really important ot me and what gives me real pleasure and gratification.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve bought stuff I didn''t need (see this thread, ugh), but it had less to do with Pricescope and more to do with my husband wishing he could buy me anything I wanted. Lol.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Yup. I came here looking to reset my diamond. Did I spend more than I might have had I not find PS? Yup. Did I end up with something that I simply adore every time I look at my hand? Yup.
16.gif

Date: 4/16/2009 7:43:45 AM
Author: neatfreak
PS certainly has added to the list of ''Ohhh I WANT that'' and has surely fueled the diamond fire. I make these purchases now instead of eating lunch out, buying clothes, and other random purchases. But I do recognize what is in the realm of my budget and what isn''t. I''m not going out and buying a 2 carat diamond just because I want it!

ETA: I should add that I do sometimes take breaks from SMTR and RockyTalk because sometimes that ''I want it'' bug does start to influence my thinking. So then I know it''s time to take a break for a while until it passes.
This is me to a tee as well. I have fewer random bath gels I don''t need, shirts I won''t wear etc, and instead try to keep as much of my weekly cash in my wallet as possible, to save for bigger purchases.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results