shape
carat
color
clarity

has pricescope ever gotten out of control for you financially?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
You know what''s funny?

I''m not on PS for diamonds at all. I got my engagement ring and that was the end of my diamond fever. Even then I wasn''t looking for the biggest diamond...just one that was good for what we can afford. I don''t buy jewelry ever and it''s going to be a long time before I make another purchase. I don''t even get on SMTR anymore.

I''m here because I love the community. It''s like a big group of friends and when I''m away from it, I miss it.

So for me no pricescope hasn''t gotten out of control financially.

Other stuff has though
3.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I came on PS when I wanted a real diamond engagement ring (mine is a CZ and have wanted a real diamond for the past 20 years) and was looking for info to get me started on the right track. I must admit when I saw the size of some of the diamonds and rings here, my head began to spin. After a while I came back down to earth to do what my first intention was, to educate myself about buying a diamond.

Periodically, I ask my DH if I am being selfish in making such a large monetary purchase for myself. He said absolutely not and I have a very open ended budget. While part of me would like a "big" 2+ c diamond, I really don''t know why. I am going to a diamond "extravaganza" at a maul jeweler tomorrow just to actualy see different size stones in different settings on my own hand to see what I like before I make my purchase thru one of the PS vendors.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 9:53:56 AM
Author: soocool
I came on PS when I wanted a real diamond engagement ring (mine is a CZ and have wanted a real diamond for the past 20 years) and was looking for info to get me started on the right track. I must admit when I saw the size of some of the diamonds and rings here, my head began to spin. After a while I came back down to earth to do what my first intention was, to educate myself about buying a diamond.

Periodically, I ask my DH if I am being selfish in making such a large monetary purchase for myself. He said absolutely not and I have a very open ended budget. While part of me would like a ''big'' 2+ c diamond, I really don''t know why. I am going to a diamond ''extravaganza'' at a maul jeweler tomorrow just to actualy see different size stones in different settings on my own hand to see what I like before I make my purchase thru one of the PS vendors.
Smart! And you may be surprised by what you end up liking.
1.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 7:43:45 AM
Author: neatfreak
PS certainly has added to the list of ''Ohhh I WANT that'' and has surely fueled the diamond fire. I make these purchases now instead of eating lunch out, buying clothes, and other random purchases. But I do recognize what is in the realm of my budget and what isn''t. I''m not going out and buying a 2 carat diamond just because I want it!

ETA: I should add that I do sometimes take breaks from SMTR and RockyTalk because sometimes that ''I want it'' bug does start to influence my thinking. So then I know it''s time to take a break for a while until it passes.
LOL! Me too! And part of me thinks it is crazy! My wardrobe sucks a big one right now (at least partly because I haven''t bought non-preggo clothing in forever!), and despite that I am spending our disposable income this year on an upgrade. For that money, honestly, hubby and I could both get new wardrobes
20.gif
--very cheap wardrobes, but new clothing none the less! But then I think to myself, I am a SAHM right now, who cares what I wear?
2.gif
To get this upgrade I even cut my monthly "me money" in half! So no clothing for a while I think!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve wondered this question myself. I know that I''ve discovered a whole new world since joining PS. I know that I''ve purchased quicker (during drops) than I normally would have. Haven''t regret anything so far.

However, during a conversation I had with a vendor I inquired about return policy. The return policy seemed variable depending on how established you were with the vendor. The vendor told me a story about how many window shoppers, so to speak, that almost put him out of business. Items were returned for various reasons including buyer''s remorse and just simply not being able to afford it. I think that''s sad. It made me wonder how many people were buying just to keep up with other people on this board. Often times I see people buying so often that I''ve wondered if they can truly afford it. If they can they have fantastic jobs and quite the jewelry allowance. But I sometimes think that is the exception rather than the norm.

I got myself into some credit card debt years ago. I will have my last card paid off this year. And that purchase was a well thought out purchase that wasn''t your typical credit card purchase. I don''t consider this one to be debt. I could easily sell the item and pay off the bill. I haven''t used a credit card in years. I don''t activate the replacement ones I get in the mail. However I recently decided to activate one for emergencies. My horse recently hurt himself and when we went to the vet I was panicking over the possible cost and the "payment due on day of service" policy. Realistically I could afford even the highest amount I was expecting, but I would have preferred to pay it off over a couple months. Luckily the amount was low. But I will now be activating a card for purposes like this and other emergencies. I''ve learned my lesson and can handle the card responsibly. :)

Thanks for the interesting question. I have a feeling that we may not hear from people that truly have had a problem as a result of PS.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess if I am totally honest I should say that there are certainly *better* things I could spend my money on right now. We are saving for a house next year, we have a little debt we are paying off (on a very low interest line of credit, so carrying costs are minimal), maybe we could start a college fund for our son. So maybe that means that PS has gotten us into a little financial trouble because if I wasn't upgrading we would be putting our money towards those much more sensible things.

But if I am also totally honest I never buy anything for myself, I never treat myself to things. I grew up poor and agonize over every penny spent on things that are not *totally required*. I get a lot of pleasure out of my diamond ring (more pleasure when it is a little bigger), and that is worthwhile, I think. Plus I just got a job that doubled my income, literally. And I think, "What is $2500 in the scheme of things?" A year from now I won't even know it is gone.

So those are my justifications.
12.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Nope, not an issue for me. I pay cash, so if I didn''t have it...I wouldn''t be spending it
2.gif

I''ve seen quite a few of these posts on PS though; "have you ever put pressure on your significant relationship because you kept angling for something your partner either didn''t think you/he could afford or just didn''t want to give you?"

and I have to admit they make me really sad for the guys, and pity the women.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Well, I''ll be honest too. This site did get me in trouble. I didn''t spend money I didn''t have, but I did make a big mistake. When I found this board I had just upgraded to a 2 carat. Then I found Pricescope and upgraded to a better 2 carat. Then I decided the stats weren''t good enough and traded it in for a "better" 1.5 carat. I have wanted that 2 carat back ever since. It gnaws at me. The broker I bought from is out of business so no more upgrades on the stone. So now I keep resetting the 1.5 as though that will make me happy. I really have to learn to be happy with what I have. At my advanced age that should be easy, but it''s not.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I admire the lovely pieces on this site, but I harbor no desire to spend my money on more jewelry at this time.

The only thing I ever honestly consider is a reset for my current ering and band it makes me salvate seeing some of these to die for settings on here, it totally gets my creative juices flowing. And over the past few months the thought is serious but even that wouldn''t out of control spending, it would be moderate.

The truth is, I don''t consider myself a diamond-addict. I can see lovely things and appreciate the beauty of them without needing to take them home with me. Maybe it''s because, from the very beginning, I was given a very lovely ring that was "considerable" and ergo I never felt the "need" for more. Or, maybe it''s just because I''m pretty simple when it comes to jewelry...earrings and my set, that''s it. Or, maybe it''s because I have no gag-reflex when it comes to purses and I spend all my money there. Who knows!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think PS has influenced me in some ways. I would never have heard of Beverley K without it, and therefore wouldn''t have my setting (or my diamond for that matter). I find "inspiration" here daily, but to be honest, I don''t have much of a jewellery budget at all, so I just daydream a lot. I''ve always loved jewellery, some might say too much. It''s a luxury, and these days we don''t have much $$ to put towards luxuries that only benefit *me*.
3.gif
I probably would have rather had a nice new piece of jewellery rather than the new bike my husband bought me, but I think his reasoning was more sound than mine--he wants me to be healthy. I do think I see purchases made as "Oh, I could have spent that money on this or that piece of jewellery!", but I get over it quickly. I just had to buy new glasses ($500+ because of the lenses I require), and I lament a little bit. I don''t see any major pieces for me down the line, but it sure is fun to look!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope as I''m in college so don''t have the money at all to buy lots. I have a little list of things that I want to get when I qualify though so I''ll have to answer the question in a few years.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have probably saved less because of it, but I''ve never bought something that I can''t afford. I love my diamond earrings. It would have made more sense financially to hold off on buying them for another year or two, but I''ve always been able to afford my bills each month and have no debt. I''ve mostly just bought some more smaller pieces since I started looking here. Such as expanding my vintage wedding band collection.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 8:39:35 PM
Author:whitby_2773

i''ve wondered, as i''ve spent time on PS, about my own tendency to see things and think ''i want that! oh - and i want THAT! and i want THAT - too! and could you just throw in a couple of those and 2 or three pairs of that thing sitting behind it?''

Guilty as charged but I never put myself at financial risk. I came to Pricescope to learn about gemstones when designing my e-ring and thanks to some enablers on here (MARA ARE YOU READING THIS
11.gif
9.gif
), I got the ring, diamond studs which I upgraded when the whole board seemed to be in an upgrade frenzy a few years ago, a diamond watch & a diamond bangle bracelet, diamond necklace, way too many RHRs, and more designer handbags that I care to admit. Most of those things I doubt I ever would have purchased had it not been for the deliciously evil influence of PS.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s defiitely caused me to crave me and probably make additional purchases, but I always wait until it makes sense financially for us.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yes. That is when I stop looking at other people''s ugrades, new purchases, perfect ebay finds (TGal
25.gif
).

I don''t actually go out and spend the money, but I do lust after objects I must not buy now.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually do understand, when I was searching for a new wedding band I had to have a certain quality (which always cost more!) per pricescope days I would have been happy with the cheap stuff at the maul
20.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to be honest too - yes, PS has gotten out of hand for me a little, though my purchases are small potatoes compared to post of the things here. Still, for me, it''s added up.

It all started out with deciding that I needed a plain WB like several posters (which IS really, really smart) - and then -
a richard homer gem
another concave cut
a stacking band
diamond studs
and an OEC...
and that was over just a year. I''d gone from someone who was "eh" about jewelry to obsessed. I don''t think it was pretty (as Perfect Pear very bluntly described).

I do appreciate all of those things that I listed, so I don''t have buyer''s remorse, but I don''t think the thoughts would have crossed my mind if not for PS. While they were relatively inexpensive individually, that money could have been spent on other things. Though I''m a lot like other posters (I don''t spend my fun money on anything else, really), I didn''t need any of that stuff, though I wanted these things because I saw them here.

I''m starting to realize now is that wanting/eyeing something is sometimes a lot more fun than having it. Right now, I''m dreaming of a 3-stone EC anny ring - but at this point, I''m more than happy to wait for a very, very, very long time (if ever) for that dream to come to fruition. It''s fun to dream, but not quite as fun to scheme/plan. Scheming for the latest thing just doesn''t feel good/exciting anymore, because I have other things (family, vacations, home improvements) that I want to give attention to and start saving for.

And, now that I''ve spent almost 2 years on PS, I''ve realized that trends here come and go just like anything else - there''s no point in trying to keep up.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I really love the honesty here. I'll be the first to admit that I love love love diamonds and jewelry. DH knows it and everyone close to me knows it's my hobby. But I also have to say that Pricescope has actually saved me a LOT of money. One of DH's first gifts to me was a diamond Tiffany pendant - he spent over $10k on it. It KILLS me today to think that he could have gotten the same thing for much much less, probably even less than half of what he spent there. I love it because it came from his heart, but over the years I've saved so much money by getting what I like designed custom or by shopping smarter.

I definitely think of new projects thanks to PS. In the past 3-4 months, I've gotten an eternity band, a plat DBTY necklace custom from Whiteflash and diamond studs. It's all thanks to Pricescope because I spent SO much less because I knew what to buy and from whom. God knows, I'd never have found ERD or ever have heard of Whiteflash before PS! Thank GOD DH researched diamonds so my e-ring stone is amazing but now post-PS, I could have gone to a G easily...even a J and bigger, too! So while I've bought MORE because of new ideas on PS, I've spent much much LESS. DH is a happy camper, too. He was amazed by what I could get by shopping the PS way. I think he's a convert.
31.gif

I think PS gives people new ideas, you get to research your projects extensively - but does it make you buy more? Maybe! However, when you do buy - you shop more wisely so I think it evens out in the end. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL. Without PS, I am sure I would still buy jewelry and etc. But because of PS, when I do buy jewelry, it's a more thoughtful purchase. Plus, it's the best bang for my buck. That's the fun of it for me. That and the fact that we get the most sparkly things from researching!

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
PS has not influenced me to spend more than I can afford, but it has influenced me in honing in on my likes and dislikes. My DH got me a Lucida band for V-day and he''d never think of that if it were not for PS. I have to be careful though. I like jewelry way too much and always want this and want that so I keep my cc''s under lock and key. I appreciate all of the pieces that I have.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:51:01 PM
Author: Addy
I have probably saved less because of it, but I''ve never bought something that I can''t afford. I love my diamond earrings. It would have made more sense financially to hold off on buying them for another year or two, but I''ve always been able to afford my bills each month and have no debt. I''ve mostly just bought some more smaller pieces since I started looking here. Such as expanding my vintage wedding band collection.

you ladies are the BEST! thank you for being so honest.

i think there''s a range of answers here, tho i think there''s still a group of people we may not be hearing from. i dont believe there are people with shopping addictions everywhere in the world...except on pricescope.

i think i fall into addy''s group; i''ve never bought anything because of PS which i couldnt afford, nor put things on credit cards i couldnt immediately pay off - but i HAVE saved less because of ''it'' (pricescope or jewelry purchasing in general), and in this climate i find myself wondering whether i would have been better to put that money away for a rainy day.

however, i''m 48 at this point in time, and have learnt to budget (a hard learned skill that i only developed after NOT doing well at it many, many times when i was younger!). and i feel loved and generally fulfilled in my life. i''m not sure how susceptible i would be were i lonely, unfulfilled, or not sure who i was as a person and what it was i valued. if i felt something was missing in my life, i''m pretty sure i could reach for the next diamond ring as easily as the cup cake i dont need, the dress i''m sure i love in the shop but which is horrible on me as soon as i get home, or the unhelpful relationship that i ''should have cut off years ago''.

so i really like the comments of the PS''er who said they came for the rings...but stayed for the friendships. that, to me, seems just right. :)

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I can''t say I''ve been totally out of control, but my priorities are a little whacked sometimes. Not whacked enough that I want to change them though.
2.gif
For example, I live in Florida and drive a 94 Jeep Wrangler that I absolutely LOVE, but it doesn''t have air conditioning. In Florida. Did I mention I live in Florida? It''s freakin'' HOT here. But my Jeep is paid off, and I can''t imagine spending the money on a newer vehicle-- it would also be like letting go of my youth in a way
3.gif
. The Jeep''s pretty much the last thing I''m holding onto! And my fiance and I agree that it''s so old it''s not worth putting the money into it and getting an air conditioner. So I roll the windows down, or completely take off the doors which happens to be great fun, and deal with it because I''d rather put my $$ into bling than a new car. Also, I just moved into a big new house and have no furniture other than what I absolutely need to survive. But I''d much rather buy diamond earrings than couches that my dogs will ruin. My DF doesn''t understand, and I can''t say that I blame him. I think it''s crazy too, but the heart wants what the heart wants!
11.gif
31.gif
9.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
PS has given me the freedom to admit I enjoy gems and to buy them, simply because I enjoy them. Not all of my gems are set, some likely will never be, but I enjoy them that way. Sure it is frivolous, but so are a lot of other things people spend money on.

Looking at some of the beautiful gems in PS has surely given me a few attacks of the "I wants". Ocasionally, I have bought more or more expensive pieces than I normally would. I have even bought a few that I shouldn''t have. But I have never gone into debt and it has always come out of the fun money (ok, I once went on a noodle diet to buy a gem, but it was deliberately, not an accident).

I supose that PS changed my spending priorities (travel, books and gems). I doubt I would be saving more if I wasn''t on PS - I probably would be spending money on other things. Looking at the big picture, I am glad: I have a nice nest egg for the future and I can enjoy today as well. I could save more, but I would have to cut back on fun. I think both are well balanced now.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I should also add that, like others, I''ve cut back on other purchases as well. I used to be more of a compulsive shopper, but I really don''t have the funds to compulsively buy diamonds and gemstones. So I stopped buying clothing, shoes, and bags for the most part, and save the money in a seperate "bling" wallet until I REALLY feel like spending it. I also cut back on the money I spend on food. I used to spend SO much money, eating expensive lunches and dinners every day. Even stupid stuff like daily Satrbucks/Dunkin Donuts runs. The best thing is that now that I cut out that stuff, I can actually fit more comfortably into some of my old clothes instead of buying new ones. And THAT feels great!

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Lara- "princess in a cabbage patch" is a great phrase! That''s exactly how I feel.

One of my sister in laws just bought a $40,000 SUV this year and my sister has a Lexus that was about the $30,000 range (both financed their purchases, it''s not like they paid cash). I figure that''s no different than when I use my cc to buy a new pretty because I KNOW my purchase cost sooooo much less and I''ll actually have it longer than they''ll have their cars. Cars don''t last forever...diamonds do :)

I told my sister in law that her buying the new SUV actually made ME happy, because no matter what I ever bought it''d never be anywhere near what she just spent. That made her laugh.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never bought anything that wasn''t within our budget and most of my jewelry has been presents from my husband. I''ve always been a jewelryaholic and yes PS has influenced me but only to the better. Pre-PS I bought less expensive items but many more of them. I have learned through PS to save my pennies for better quality that I truly love. So now I may spend the same amount but what I spend is on fewer but much better quality items.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 7:57:34 AM
Author: makemepretty
Lara- ''princess in a cabbage patch'' is a great phrase! That''s exactly how I feel.

One of my sister in laws just bought a $40,000 SUV this year and my sister has a Lexus that was about the $30,000 range (both financed their purchases, it''s not like they paid cash). I figure that''s no different than when I use my cc to buy a new pretty because I KNOW my purchase cost sooooo much less and I''ll actually have it longer than they''ll have their cars. Cars don''t last forever...diamonds do :)

I told my sister in law that her buying the new SUV actually made ME happy, because no matter what I ever bought it''d never be anywhere near what she just spent. That made her laugh.

Yes, everybody seems to have different priorities when it comes to money... I''ve got a friend who skimps on everything except haircuts, and every now and then a fancy car, or even a boat! But she lives in the cheapest clothes, shoes, everything. She wouldn''t spend a cent on make-up (I can talk freely because I know she would not be on this forum!!)
2.gif

I, on the other hand, have a relatively little income of my own, and that which I have does get swallowed by children''s needs, groceries, etc. But if I really DO want something, it can make it all fit. I definitely have cut back on the all the other things I just ''had'' to have, my priorities have changed, and that''s cool! I''ve got plenty of winter boots already!!
3.gif

It would be nice to have all the money in the world, but we must make do with the circumstances we have. But that doesn''t mean we can''t be elegant, tasteful, considered and classy in our purchasing choices! Quality, not quantity!!! And, no, that does not mean a new car!!
9.gif

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 7:57:34 AM
Author: makemepretty
Lara- ''princess in a cabbage patch'' is a great phrase! That''s exactly how I feel.

Ohhhhhh.....that''s a good way of looking at things - and why my cc''s are locked up
3.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/17/2009 9:20:52 AM
Author: Catmom
I have learned through PS to save my pennies for better quality that I truly love. So now I may spend the same amount but what I spend is on fewer but much better quality items.
THAT is what I''m aiming for. I use to buy rings all the time from mall stores. Now I''m noticing that I''m a bit more selective. :)

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread, Whitby. I am a counselor and I have had to take a good look at my own behavior. I''m not a compulsive shopper, but I struggle on this forum, at times. When I joined, I was already planning an upgrade. I had looked at HOF and knew I wanted an ideal cut/performing stone. I wanted to upgrade from a .80ct to a 1.25ct. I found a beautiful WF ACA 1.23ct and bought it. Within a year, I was dissatisfied. My latest upgrade was to a 1.62ct HOF [long story]. This upgrade was deifinitely PS driven. I got it into my head that I "had" to have a center stone >1.5ct
20.gif
Now I''m getting the impulse to upgrade again. My latest upgrade was 7 months ago. The size/stats I would consider/could afford has not been available or I would have already done it. I have always loved jewelry and this site has opened up that part of me that my family and friends just don''t get. I''ve gotten some things I might not have done, but I haven''t gone OTT. I''ve traded in jewelry I no longer use to help fund purchases. I am aware, however, that I need to be mindful of my affinity for all things sparkly.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I can always justify a jewelry purchase.
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results