shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone upgraded from a mined diamond to a lab one?

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I got into a conversation about lab diamonds recently. After hearing more about them, he was saying how he thinks they are the way to go for diamonds. I have a 1.07 mined cushion in a halo that’s on its second setting. It’s a DK setting that I love and I would never take the stone out of it. But, now I’m wondering if I might like a new, bigger lab stone in a totally different setting, possibly for our 15th anniversary in a few years. I would still keep and probably wear my current set. Has anyone done this? Any thoughts? Any regrets? I’ve attached a pic of the setting I might want…I would also want a larger stone, maybe a 2-2.5 center if it is financially possible.

DD543022-53F2-4D2A-9AC3-2D1F2A22AA39.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to grab an example from another thread, you can currently get a well-cut non-branded 2-2.5 ct round brilliant for $2500 currently. Who knows how much more the price will have dropped in a few years.

Add $2-3k for a setting with pear sidestones and you'd be looking at something like $4-6k all in. If you went with a branded ideal cut lab diamond the price would be higher.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did and have no regrets!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me too, I’m on my second lab upgrade!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
My wife and I chose LGD (exclusively) the past 1.5 years and have zero regrets.
We have four LGDs (1st ring upgrade, 2nd ring upgrade in the works, and earrings), with more to come for sure since the bang for the buck factor is off the charts.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I think you'll find most of us in this thread will only say positive things about lab upgrades (I'm also a fan) and you can't really post this question in the RT thread so the only negative to consider is resale. If you can see yourself wanting to upgrade again, then your lab stone *might* be harder to move on, but the same can be said for a majority of mined stones. As more and more people choose lab stones though, the resale value and saleability of lab stones will improve.

Given that, it's almost a no-brainer. You can get a bigger, whiter, better stone for much less money and if your intention is to sit on your new stone for a few years, you'll enjoy an amazing purchase without the financial ouch.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I started with a poor quality 1 ct mined diamond in 2004. Sprinkled a few moissanites in before I moved to a 1.62 ct LGD almost 2 years ago, which I wear daily. I'm working on getting a 3 ct in the next few months, which will most likely be my final ring purchase. After I have that final engagement ring, I plan to re set my original diamond into a pendant, then work on getting some studs.

I went into the LGD market knowing I wouldn't be selling anything to buy something new. I have kids I can pass all of this down to, so the resale argument was a non issue for me. No regrets!

MightyDucks

Rough_Rock
I upgraded from a WF ACA to a GCAL 8X lab diamond. Absolutely zero regrets. My lab diamond is just as sparkly as my ACA was but bigger with better color and clarity. I got my ideal dream size so I am not concerned about resell.

ariaaaa

Rough_Rock
I think I saw an article the other day about how an increasing number of people are upgrading from mined to lab diamonds for the size arbitrage! At the price point too, it feels totally reasonable to keep your original and get the second upgrade - 2ct labs are quite affordable.

Imho, there's limited to no resale value in the long run, but at the price disparity at the moment, it felt like a better use of funds. A 130k mined diamond can probably be sold for ~80% if you wait for a good private buyer, but since lab diamonds are something like 80-90% cheaper than mined, it felt like you'd be taking fewer losses overall if there's even a thought of reselling, especially if you're investing the balance.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imho, there's limited to no resale value in the long run, but at the price disparity at the moment, it felt like a better use of funds. A 130k mined diamond can probably be sold for ~80% if you wait for a good private buyer, but since lab diamonds are something like 80-90% cheaper than mined, it felt like you'd be taking fewer losses overall if there's even a thought of reselling, especially if you're investing the balance.
This is how I think about it - I could get a 2 ct lab diamond apparently for like $2k. The MOST I could lose on that purchase is $2k, then. A 2 ct mined diamond would be many times that, and even if I was able to get 80% on resale (unlikely), I'd be losing more than $2k. However I do personally still find it unlikely I'd go for a $10k+ lab diamond, because I think I could lose much more than 50% of the value.

Of course, I also have the thing where I am really a CS person and so while I like diamonds alright and would like to own some, with mined diamonds I always look at the money and think, "why, I could get one of the top items on my color gem wishlist, in really nice quality, for that amount of money!" So I started off incredibly unlikely to buy a mined diamond and indeed only have a few that I bought secondhand for reasonable deals. But with lab diamonds I can satisfy the itch in a way that doesn't feel like I'm trading away the ability to buy a nice CS, since I am not fully depleting the blind fund to get something nice.

Here! My original engagement ring is a 1ct mined princess cut in a halo, my 10 year ring is a 2.56 LG emerald with trap side stones.

your emerald cut with traps is GORGEOUS. absolute goals.

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
I did last year with zero regrets. My original earth grown diamond from 22 years ago was 1 ct, E, VS1, and with the setting, it cost about $10k (it was a very pricey setting to be fair). I wanted to upgrade to 2 ct. I realized it was going to cost about $20k for an earth grown diamond with similar specifications.

Then I learned about lab diamonds. It took awhile of research, but I began to lean this way. Hubby was unsure. We set up an appointment to see them in person, and we were both sold. I ended up with a 3 ct for much less than $20k, and I love it! Actually, I bought a 3 ct pear at the same time and still paid several thousand less than $20k for both of them.

Since then, I've bought a few more because they're affordable, and I love the variety.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, absolutely love LGD!! Went from 1.6 mined E radiant to 3.72 E MRB from distinctive gems that’s a disco ball. Also have a 4.7 antique emerald cut LGD that was just cut for me that I’m anxiously waiting for. I don’t plan on trying to sell or upgrade these, they are dream sizes for me and just going to enjoy them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results