shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone taken a faceting class?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if anyone has done this? I''ve been looking into this. I''d love to learn how to cut a stone. If you''ve done it, what did you think?

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/5/2009 1:40:06 PM
Author:hoofbeats95
Just wondering if anyone has done this? I''ve been looking into this. I''d love to learn how to cut a stone. If you''ve done it, what did you think?
Hi Hoofbeats,
You have several options, most in the US, and a few abroad. In northern Georgia, there is the William Holland School of Lapidary Art. Can see all the info about them here: http://www.lapidaryschool.org/ They operate from roughly April thru October, or so. There are many one week classes though not all regarding faceting.

Also in the south, is the Wildacres Retreat located in North Carolina. It is operated by the Southeast Federation of Mineralogical Societies. One must be a member to use the facilities - though it is very inexpensive to be a member. Can be found here: http://www.amfed.org/sfms/wildacres-retreat.html Wildacres operates in a similar fashion to William Holland; one week sessions running late spring to early fall.

Then there is John Bailey in Oregon. He runs some week-long classes during the summer months. John''s an awesome faceter and he is held in high regard in the faceting community. Can find out about his ''boot camp'' here: http://www.gemstoneartist.com/BootCamp.asp

In northeast Ohio you have Jim Perkins. He conducts classes in his home workshop, and it is likely you may receive one-on-one instruction. Jim will have numerous types of machines available for you to try out. In addition, Jim has published over a half dozen books on gem design. Very innovative guy. Can find him here: http://www.northcoastfaceting.com/id65.html

If you like to take a shot at faceting while in Europe, you might try www.free-form.ch. Hubert Heldner and Katerina Kestemont teach faceting and carving in Montreux Switzerland. They will teach in German, Swiss German, French or English. Awesome couple, very interesting techniques and will provide an awesome view of the lake and mountains!

If traveling overseas doesn''t scare you, here''s another interesting option. In Tana, the capitol of Madagascar, there is a gemmology and lapidary arts school with a strong focus on faceting, known as IGM. This school is very reasonable, roughly US$500 per month, but does not include room and board. For this you will be on your own - but it will be reasonable. I believe sessions last 4-5 weeks. You can see their schedule for 2009 here (in French):
http://www.igm.mg/html/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=8
I visited the school in June of 2008. And you can see the training room here:

Hope you find this a little helpful.

IGM-SchoolGemCutting-01.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Better watch out once you go down this slippery path. It gets addictive, so I hear.
9.gif
There''s the fun of shopping for the right lap, learning how to read the rough, computer simulation, etc. It can also get to be a very expensive hobby.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might as well, I think it''s the only way I''m ever going to get my rough cut - LOL!!

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 12:51:12 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I might as well, I think it''s the only way I''m ever going to get my rough cut - LOL!!
Hi TL,
Regarding getting your rough cut.....

There is a guy I trained several years ago who only does faceting for the industry. He does not use computer simulation, GemCad or any other software helps. He follows what the rough provides. That is, unless there is a specific outline or shape that is required. He would probably be considered pricey, but then it seems one gets what one pays for in this area of specialty. He apprenticed with me for 11 months - so there''s very little left for me to teach him in regards to faceting. He doesn''t stock *any* rough, he only facets what people send him whether it is in the rough, or an existing gemstone needing to be recut.

There are at least 3 AGTA dealers (that I know of) that he has performed work for. Though I don''t believe any of them have or will acknowledge that the work was performed by someone outside their environment. He is very good and should probably be entering competitions, but, given his personallity, he is not interested in the fanfare. He also does not have a website, nor use the internet much. You''ll have to call him if you want to work with him.

If I receive permission from the moderators, I will note his name and contact info, but not before. Sorry.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The issue with my rough, and I''m sorry to hijack this thread, is that it''s Afghan, and they are highly sensitivie to breaking while cutting. I feel that a very experienced cutter can sense that, would be able to cut the stone without it breaking. Sometimes these stress fractures need a few days of healing without cutting while on the dop. I want someone who doesn''t just cut stones well, but someone with a long period of experience. Thanks Roger for the information regardless.
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 11:47:13 PM
Author: Chrono
Better watch out once you go down this slippery path. It gets addictive, so I hear.
9.gif
There''s the fun of shopping for the right lap, learning how to read the rough, computer simulation, etc. It can also get to be a very expensive hobby.

I could see this happening to me. I''ll need to be finished with my training before I could afford it, I think. My OCD-ness might be a bit too much though. It would probably take me soo long to be happy with a stone.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Roger! I have looked into some of those and other I haven''t. I was really hoping someone one here had taken a class and could recommend a place. :) I want to go to someone good! I like the idea of staying a week at William Holland. I read all about them the other day. I wish I had a friend with a similar interest so we could make a vacation of it! I live near St Louis so all of these are going to require some transportation. But I really want to try. Just to cut even one stone and see if I like it. If I possibly can grasp all the concepts and such. I''m a software developer currently and I have a degree in math. So some of what I''ve read about cutting really intrigues me. I just need to learn basics so I can really understand what is going on! Thanks again for the info. :)

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 9:22:47 AM
Author: hoofbeats95
Thanks Roger! I have looked into some of those and other I haven''t. I was really hoping someone one here had taken a class and could recommend a place. :) I want to go to someone good! I like the idea of staying a week at William Holland. I read all about them the other day. I wish I had a friend with a similar interest so we could make a vacation of it! I live near St Louis so all of these are going to require some transportation. But I really want to try. Just to cut even one stone and see if I like it. If I possibly can grasp all the concepts and such. I''m a software developer currently and I have a degree in math. So some of what I''ve read about cutting really intrigues me. I just need to learn basics so I can really understand what is going on! Thanks again for the info. :)
Hoofbeats,
If you''d like to try this out for just a weekend, and don''t mind driving 4 hours, there is a faceting seminar taking place in Elmhurst Illinois in mid-August. Can see more info here:
http://www.midwestfacetersguild.org/augustseminar.htm

Having a math degree could be helpful, especially in the area of design. My daughter (now 15) has faceted 16 gemstones, cutting her first one sitting on my lap on Thanksgiving morning when she was seven! She plans to use her skills to pay her way through college. Here she is last year working on one of her favorite designs....

RachelCutting12.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a math degree, but I think you need something else as wel, patience!! I don''t think I could do it!!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
I would love to do it. No classes here in Ireland though
7.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it fascinating.. don''t have a math degree but I''m good with numbers...
9.gif
I was just tallking about this same thing a few days ago with Barry... and I said, I''d take a three hour drive to see his work
31.gif
even recommended just some tools and used items to get started, but it is an expensive yet gratifying hobby, and hey if you can make some money along the way,, the hobby pays for itself right?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 9:22:47 AM
Author: I''m a software developer currently and I have a degree in math. So some of what I''ve read about cutting really intrigues me. I just need to learn basics so I can really understand what is going on!

Cutting stones isn''t rocket science and with your background, understanding what''s going on would take all of maybe 15 minutes. If I were you I''d just buy a good machine, (any type, they all work the same way), a bucket of inexpensive facet rough and start hacking away. There are several really good online groups of cutters and any problem that you run into has occurred with all of them before. Taking a class is great, but I wouldn''t let that stop you from messing around with this as the basic ideas are easy. The tough parts are things like cutting to remove defects, orienting rough for color and polishing. All things which get touched on in a class, but which you have to do for a while, with different materials, to really have them sink in. Better to just get started, have some HUGE problems, ask some questions, have those problems solved and get an ENORMOUS boost when your stones start looking really good after a very short time period.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 8:30:22 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
The issue with my rough, and I''m sorry to hijack this thread, is that it''s Afghan, and they are highly sensitivie to breaking while cutting. I feel that a very experienced cutter can sense that, would be able to cut the stone without it breaking. Sometimes these stress fractures need a few days of healing without cutting while on the dop. I want someone who doesn''t just cut stones well, but someone with a long period of experience. Thanks Roger for the information regardless.
2.gif

Hey I can sense that !
6.gif
It has never helped me much though, if they''re going to break there''s nothing that anyone can do about it. I''ve even tried "healing" them for a few years and they don''t seem to respond very well. I had one indicolite that responded to it''s healing period by continuing to fracture in just about every imaginable way possible...you could actually watch the fractures grow at first...started out flawless. I wish a long period of experience would help, but I''ve found the best approach is to just give it a shot and if it breaks...Oh well.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 11:47:13 PM
Author: Chrono
9.gif
Yeah I''m sure it would be addictive! But I don''t much like my current career!
2.gif

I am seriously considering the one in Elmhurst if there are open slots. I''m going to find out! I hear traffic up there is a nightmare, but it''s not too far away.

Michael E - I''m not too sure about just buying a machine! That''s quite an expensive little leap isn''t it? Those are cheap I don''t think! A class is much more in my budget . . . especially if I don''t like it or suck at it. Much less monetary loss!

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
Roger - your information is going to get me in trouble! I've been thinking about looking into this for some time and now I don't have an excuse with the information summarized so nicely for me.

But boy, that looks like an expensive hobby to start!!
6.gif

EDIT - the hubby just told me that we could reconsider in about 40 years when we retire! What a meany
9.gif

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Most areas have Lapidary Clubs and these clubs have Gem shows Yearly where they demonstrate their crafts ( Faceting included and some of these members give lessons).
The Rock and Gem magazine is one of many magazines that has a listing of these gem shows. Find one in your area and go to it. There are at least 10 shows in the Cleveland, Ohio area each year, and I would bet that there are some around St. Louis.
A good book to start with is "Facet Cutters Handbook" by Edward J. Soukup. The Rock & Gem Magazine also has a faceting project each month. Another suggestion: you might try finding used equipment.

Joker....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results