shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone matched their own old stones?

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Let’s say you wanted to put together a three stone or 5 stone - has anyone ever cobbled together the stones themselves either buy buying loose stones separate or repurposing other things (like a brooch). Would love to see pics if so. For example I love this vertical ring but price is $$$$. Curious how hard it would be to recreate. This is just daydreaming for the most part btw :lol:
Question 2 but biased forum I realize - do old cuts just seem SUPER popular right now? Like more than ever? Purely anecdotal but I notice that on LT the old cuts get snapped up and many mrbs just sit.
835CF4B1-AE19-4CCE-A39A-07EC195E2DD3.jpeg

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve never matched old cuts myself but it is something I’m thinking about for a long term project. There are a few pricescopers who have done this. One person springs to mind but I can’t for the life of me remember whom, she has a beautiful moi et toi ring.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I have no prior experience, but am attempting to SLOWLY do this currently. I just bought an un-graded OMC from a private party at a steal. My plan is to get it graded and look for a long lost sister for her. I am thinking it may be easier to get away with more variation in OMCs compared to other cuts. Will I be successful? Who knows! But I couldn't pass the deal up. Currently it sits in a pendant so worse case she stays put.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have no prior experience, but am attempting to SLOWLY do this currently. I just bought an un-graded OMC from a private party at a steal. My plan is to get it graded and look for a long lost sister for her. I am thinking it may be easier to get away with more variation in OMCs compared to other cuts. Will I be successful? Who knows! But I couldn't pass the deal up. Currently it sits in a pendant so worse case she stays put.

Be sure to post pics if your project comes to fruition!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After a matched pair from I&R didn’t thrill, does trolling thru OWD’s text only (no pictures) database and finding what I thought were three promising pairs count? :lol: I thought Adam would show me all 3 pairs to choose from, but just picked out the best pair to show, and that’s ultimately what I bought. He had originally said he had no pairs - so that goes to show what one thinks might be a good matched pairing- someone else does not.
I found sidestones before centerstone. That’s backwards I think.
Those that can go to antique shows, or live near areas that have shops are very lucky to see candidates in person before buying. Otherwise - the mindset of $$ spent in sending stuff back/forth (or reselling) needs to be either considered entertainment value or not minded as part of the budget, as it’s a necessary part of the search. Or you are lucky and find your match quickly.
if you think the process is fun - go for it!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
After a matched pair from I&R didn’t thrill, does trolling thru OWD’s text only (no pictures) database and finding what I thought were three promising pairs count? :lol: I thought Adam would show me all 3 pairs to choose from, but just picked out the best pair to show, and that’s ultimately what I bought. He had originally said he had no pairs - so that goes to show what one thinks might be a good matched pairing- someone else does not.
I found sidestones before centerstone. That’s backwards I think.
Those that can go to antique shows, or live near areas that have shops are very lucky to see candidates in person before buying. Otherwise - the mindset of $$ spent in sending stuff back/forth (or reselling) needs to be either considered entertainment value or not minded as part of the budget, as it’s a necessary part of the search. Or you are lucky and find your match quickly.
if you think the process is fun - go for it!

Ha this isn't a "right now" project as I've just bought a new ring but my mind is always on future projects. I have loose gems I'd love to set, and this ring I'm in love with and it would be fun to re-create. I just wonder, if I found a three or five stone that I wanted to break down, if the labor involved in getting the stones out would mean buying loose stones would be the way to go. :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Honestly it's an arduous and time consuming hobby. I've had some stones for 6-10 years before finding a perfect match, granted I'm just on ebay and auctions and buying what I consider good deals. I've matched 3 stones, 5 stones, earrings. My current graduated bangle project has 7-9 matched (not sure how far down i want them to extend) circular brilliant cut GIA graded JK stones between 1.26ct and .80ct, and it's taken probably 6 years on/off searches to match those up. I found them out of broken rings and pendants, sent to GIA, then patiently waited for a match. There has been some changes even up until recently because I found two new contenders that may be even better suited, so it's pending GIA again.

Like I said, this is a hobby, so I don't mind the time spent, it's fun. But if I were to calculate the amount of time spent... it would have been way cheaper just paying retail. :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Honestly it's an arduous and time consuming hobby. I've had some stones for 6-10 years before finding a perfect match, granted I'm just on ebay and auctions and buying what I consider good deals. I've matched 3 stones, 5 stones, earrings. My current graduated bangle project has 7-9 matched (not sure how far down i want them to extend) circular brilliant cut GIA graded JK stones between 1.26ct and .80ct, and it's taken probably 6 years on/off searches to match those up. I found them out of broken rings and pendants, sent to GIA, then patiently waited for a match. There has been some changes even up until recently because I found two new contenders that may be even better suited, so it's pending GIA again.

Like I said, this is a hobby, so I don't mind the time spent, it's fun. But if I were to calculate the amount of time spent... it would have been way cheaper just paying retail. :lol:

It sounds cool to me!!!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wonder, if I found a three or five stone that I wanted to break down, if the labor involved in getting the stones out would mean buying loose stones would be the way to go. :)

Last vendor I used with re-purposing a piece - did not charge me anything to unmount the stones.
so it all depends.
It could be because enough overhead was already worked into the project pricing, which is different than other vendors that seem to price on the fly as they go.
Or because the bench didn't technically charge them any extra, so they didn’t pass it along to me.
or the vendor was just cool like that.
I’m sure unmounting not paired with an existing project might be considered differently?
Plus- you are talking 3-5 stones. Not some brooch with 35 stones.......

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sort of on that mission. Trying to recreate OMC earrings, but I am in it for the long haul. I found a pair of 5mm stones almost right away and have been looking for a larger set for a year maybe. I fell into a pair already set in platinum last week. That said the hunt is a lot of fun but earrings may be a lot easier since they aren't right next to one another to compare.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a thought, @Mreader
It’d be interesting to poll who would think these (if shown loose or stats on paper) would constitute a good matching trio, or not.

5DD3852D-1FFE-474F-A640-4FAD98B0C675.jpeg

I think they look lovely together.

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought, @Mreader
It’d be interesting to poll who would think these (if shown loose) would constitute a good matching trio, or not.

5DD3852D-1FFE-474F-A640-4FAD98B0C675.jpeg

Ha! To me they look good but I’m not the expert that you ladies are! They all seem to have that checkered look :).

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
So I posted in CS but no replies. :cry2:Eyeing this piece to maybe revamp. But what do you think about the abrasions on the Ruby? It said “abrasions due to age”. Is this something that can be polished up or would it probably take a full recut so not worth the trouble? Pic in bright sunlight. 1A53D2D7-5A8C-4F82-AE20-C8A2DD1778B1.jpeg

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
So I posted in CS but no replies. :cry2:Eyeing this piece to maybe revamp. But what do you think about the abrasions on the Ruby? It said “abrasions due to age”. Is this something that can be polished up or would it probably take a full recut so not worth the trouble? Pic in bright sunlight. 1A53D2D7-5A8C-4F82-AE20-C8A2DD1778B1.jpeg

Hi - I'm supposed to be just lurking (looks around - leans in to whisper) I just have to warn you I recognize this ring because I purchased it earlier this year. One of the two side diamonds has what I consider a chunk not a regular chip out of it - I had hoped to make a pair of earrings and repurpose the center ruby. The missing chunk is not apparent in these photos - if you want close ups of said chunk contact me on loupetroop VatHJ and I will send you the photos I took to help you make a more informed decision. IMO it makes using the diamonds as a pair impossible because one would have to have a recut. Just wanted to let you know to save you the potential hassle of a return.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Hi - I'm supposed to be just lurking (looks around - leans in to whisper) I just have to warn you I recognize this ring because I purchased it earlier this year. One of the two side diamonds has what I consider a chunk not a regular chip out of it - I had hoped to make a pair of earrings and repurpose the center ruby. The missing chunk is not apparent in these photos - if you want close ups of said chunk contact me on loupetroop VatHJ and I will send you the photos I took to help you make a more informed decision. IMO it makes using the diamonds as a pair impossible because one would have to have a recut. Just wanted to let you know to save you the potential hassle of a return.

Wow thanks so much I will contact you!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@oodlesofpoodles do you have a former listing I can click? From LT? Because I don’t see how to find users from there to contact.

Never mind I found you! And sent you a dm.

Last edited:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a lot of it depends on personal preference. With old cuts I see pieces where the faceting, color and clarity are all a little different. I like slight differences and find that charming. Some people want their stones to be so well matched you can’t tell them apart. That said, it certainly can be done. I would focus on the 2 ends matching the best and the middle one being a focal point can stand out some. It is a very pretty inspiration piece.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Btw apropos to nothing but Etsy's search engine is so annoying! You try to filter and it still shows things you aren't looking for. :wall: Can't filter tcw or even type of stone a lot of the time.

After having frankensteined a couple of projects on my own, I've come to realize that I'm not really saving any money in the long run. However, it's totally worth the time and effort when I'm able to put together a piece that I really enjoy and was everything I was looking for.

So my advice is: if you're able to find a lot of similar items but maybe at a higher price point than you'd like, or they get snapped up really quickly, then I'd just keep looking for a finished piece until something comes your way. But if you're looking for something very specific and nothing has come up that just really does it for you, then it may be more worthwhile to try to cobble your own piece together.

Btw apropos to nothing but Etsy's search engine is so annoying! You try to filter and it still shows things you aren't looking for. :wall: Can't filter tcw or even type of stone a lot of the time.

Ikr?? Like, why is this handcrafted beaded bracelet showing up on my search for "platinum ring settings"?! :lol:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
After having frankensteined a couple of projects on my own, I've come to realize that I'm not really saving any money in the long run. However, it's totally worth the time and effort when I'm able to put together a piece that I really enjoy and was everything I was looking for.

So my advice is: if you're able to find a lot of similar items but maybe at a higher price point than you'd like, or they get snapped up really quickly, then I'd just keep looking for a finished piece until something comes your way. But if you're looking for something very specific and nothing has come up that just really does it for you, then it may be more worthwhile to try to cobble your own piece together.

Such good advice! It would be funny to see some of you “Frankensteined” projects and that is such a perfect term btw!!!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I've been low key attempting to match old cuts for a 5 stone ring for the past 2 to 3 years. It's not going very well lol. I prefer buying stones that are already in a piece of jewelry, so I can enjoy them as is. I have a couple loose stones that have just been sitting around, and I feel like it's such a waste.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results