shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had their ering band "thinned out"??

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys! :wavey:

I like to stack a couple of eternity bands with my ering, but it's a little tight, and I'd like more "room" in the back... As you can see, my band isn't necessarily thick, but I have thought about having it tapered a just a bit towards the bottom to accommodate the bands a little better. (sorry the pics are so large!!)

ring1_47.jpg

imag0055-2.jpg

Can anyone share a similar experience? Is it a bad idea? What do you guys think??

Thanks in advance! :D

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I had my old old ering thinned out. I have no idea what they did but I needed it about 1/4 to 1/8 larger- so just a smidge. The bench said he would thin it out a bit and pick it up later that afternoon. Everything looked great afterwards and it fit perfect. I'm not sure I would have done it had I not felt comfident in my bench though....he was amazing and when we moved to Japan I begged to bring him with us. :nono:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1372118829|3471669 said:
I had my old old ering thinned out. I have no idea what they did but I needed it about 1/4 to 1/8 larger- so just a smidge. The bench said he would thin it out a bit and pick it up later that afternoon. Everything looked great afterwards and it fit perfect. I'm not sure I would have done it had I not felt comfident in my bench though....he was amazing and when we moved to Japan I begged to bring him with us. :nono:

Thanks for answering SB621! Christopher Designs made my ring, but I'm really not wanting to send it off for 4-6 weeks for them to thin it out... There are several good jewelers in town, but I am hesitant still. :-o

Is it a really big deal to do something like this? Will the work damage my ring or pave prongs in any way? I guess I'm most concerned about the integrity of the ring itself while keeping the "modified knife edge" shape to it, only a more tapered version.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could not PAY me to have someone mess with that ring. Deal with the fact you can't stack as much as you want. Or buy thinner stacking bands. There are SO MANY WAYS that could go wrong and you'd be slapping yourself forever for giving into a fleeting urge to fiddle.

Why not stack a whole 'nother finger full of stackers? Ten fingers! Ten toes! Get a' spreading.

PS -- something you're probably not considering ... your ring is going to SPIN SPIN SPIN more if you manage to somehow "thin" the back some.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1372448345|3473881 said:
You could not PAY me to have someone mess with that ring. Deal with the fact you can't stack as much as you want. Or buy thinner stacking bands. There are SO MANY WAYS that could go wrong and you'd be slapping yourself forever for giving into a fleeting urge to fiddle. Oh no!! The last thing I want to do is mess up my ering -- it took way too long to get it!! :errrr:

I am comfortable enough to leave it alone for now... If I decide to do anything minor in the future, I guess I'll just have to be without it for longer in order for Christopher Designs to do the work. Oh well, such is life... :roll:

PS -- something you're probably not considering ... your ring is going to SPIN SPIN SPIN more if you manage to somehow "thin" the back some. Hadn't really thought of that... good point! Thanks for the insight, decodelighted!! =)

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
I had my shank custom made into a thick V shape on the bottom just so I can thin it out in the future when I gain weight without damaging the integrity of the ring. Most rings are thinner on the bottom and will naturally thin out even more over time with wear. I would be afraid of misshaping it if the ring isn't thick to begin with.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TracyBear|1372483250|3474150 said:
I had my shank custom made into a thick V shape on the bottom just so I can thin it out in the future when I gain weight without damaging the integrity of the ring. Most rings are thinner on the bottom and will naturally thin out even more over time with wear. I would be afraid of misshaping it if the ring isn't thick to begin with.

Thanks for chiming in TracyBear! :wavey: I wonder if my band is thick enough to do what you are planning??

I guess it depends on one's definition of thick... As is, my ering band doesn't taper at the bottom at all - actually, CD made it slightly thicker at the bottom. Most CD rings have a Euroshank (which I did not care for), so maybe mine was made a little thicker to compensate for it being rather top-heavy and to avoid spinning?? :confused:

Hopefully these photos will help show what I mean. Also, my diamond band isn't "super skinny" - it's looks to be somewhere between 2 - 2.5 mm (this is an educated guess, couldn't find a ruler to check). :mrgreen:

band_thickness.jpg side_profile.jpg compare_widths.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results