shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone had a good experience at a mall store??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering if anyone has had a good experience at a mall store.
A lot of people within the threads here, stress that one should stay away from mall stores.

There is a tiny independent jeweller in one of the malls where I live. They have some beautiful stones, and actually, theire prices are comaprable to the ones I have found on PS.

I am afraid to even walk in there after the horror stories I have read about.

If you know what you are looking for, and have educated yourself as best as you possibly can, surely you can actualy have a decent experience at a little jeweller?

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
Good Old Gold is in a strip mall!
9.gif

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I think most of the comments here about mall stores are directed at the larger "chain" type stores. Kay''s, and Zales, and such. Stores who mass purchase and mass market.

Independents would have to be judged on a case by case basis.

If your little is shop is educating people and charging comparable prices, chances are they are a very saavy B&M. Probably much like Good Old Gold or Winfield''s from here on Price Scope.

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
Thanks.
I think I''ll go have a look-see.
He was such a helpful little old man before.
He seems to be very concerned and likes to take his time with his customers.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I''m sure you could have a good experience at your local jeweler, just be sure to take precautions.

The luxury of Pricescope is that you can spread out all the information you can get on several pages of websites, and compare them all at once and at your own pace. The problem with jewelry stores is that you have a limited time frame, and you have to ask and ask and ask for more information.

They also don''t provide you with most of the reports the PS vendors display. You have to send it to a reputable appraiser or get independent testing done on stones. You also have to be aware of the lighting situations in jewelry stores. Pinpoint lighting can make any stone look wonderful. If they allow you to see the stone in several lighting conditions, provide you with reports, and have ASET or Idealscope images for you, then go for it! You always have Pricescope as a backup, and can post the images, reports, and prices they give you on the forum for extra feedback.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 3:22:49 PM
Author: curiopotter
I''m sure you could have a good experience at your local jeweler, just be sure to take precautions.

The luxury of Pricescope is that you can spread out all the information you can get on several pages of websites, and compare them all at once and at your own pace. The problem with jewelry stores is that you have a limited time frame, and you have to ask and ask and ask for more information.

They also don''t provide you with most of the reports the PS vendors display. You have to send it to a reputable appraiser or get independent testing done on stones. You also have to be aware of the lighting situations in jewelry stores. Pinpoint lighting can make any stone look wonderful. If they allow you to see the stone in several lighting conditions, provide you with reports, and have ASET or Idealscope images for you, then go for it! You always have Pricescope as a backup, and can post the images, reports, and prices they give you on the forum for extra feedback.
That is a good way of putting it!

I live in downtown Chicago, and have been down to several B&M stores on ''jewelry row'' and all the prices I saw on everything were very comperable to online merchants.

The problem I had with B&Ms were that they''d bring out 3 stones from the vault, and then let you look at them, and then they''d bring those three back to the vault and bring you three more. Shopping online allows you to view literally thousands of diamonds at once.... so you can be more picky and hopefully get a better diamond!

bronniejade

Shiny_Rock
You all make very good points. :)
I appreciate the quick feedback. This is truly a great forum!

Based on my experience, just looking around in his store, he doesn''t seem like the other mall jewellers I have been into. I have been into places like Briks and Ben Moss and stores like that, and I felt as if I was bombarded by diamonds that just didn''t sparkle.

This man''s store (the independent one), has low, soft lighting - he doesn''t like "the big lights" as he calls them. Good sign???

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
As far as lighting goes, that''s a good sign. The best way to view diamonds is with all types of lighting, but mostly diffused, since a big percentage of the time you''ll be looking at your jewelry in this type of environment.

If you see pot lights, or halogen pin point lighting, track lighting, etc.. you should ask to see it in a diffused setting.

HOWEVER... nothing beats an independant Sarin, AGS0 or idealscope report. At least with the ideal scope, you can actually TELL for yourself.

If he doesn''t have one, you could always get one for yourself incase you decide to shop locally. http://www.ideal-scope.com/?Ref=pricescope Click on the Ideal Scope shop.

If you''re on a budget you could get the beginner scope.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, gosh, I know lots of people who love their mall store rings and who swear kay/zales/Ultra/whatever is the NICEST mall jewlery store ever. Of course they went in not knowing a lot about diamonds other than that they wanted one ASAP. And then they noticed that there was a pretty pre-set ring sitting there that looked good to them (in fact some of my friends are under the impression that it is best to get a preset ring because why would you ever buy a setting without a diamond?) So, when their boyfriends said, "okay." they were happy, end of story. They have no idea whether they are certified, what the clarity is, and they DEFINATELY don''t know how good the cut is. In fact if you were to ask them about the cut, they''d say, "princess" or "round" (but most likely princess since that''s what''s in right now.) They know the carrat weight though.

Anyway, so yes, lots of people I know have loved their mall jewlery store experiences, and before Pricescope, I don''t think I would have been dissatisfied with a mall store either because I wouldn''t have known better. (Thank goodness for PS though!)

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Should I have the same scrutiny for side stones? I''m getting 5 .25 rb. What should I use to determine the quality besides his word and my eye?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 6:07:21 PM
Author: PearNut
Should I have the same scrutiny for side stones? I''m getting 5 .25 rb. What should I use to determine the quality besides his word and my eye?
for round brilliant it''s easy. look for the wagon wheel in the bottom of the stone, and a nice tight circle in the bottom. learn what <57 percent tables look like (they "bend in"...) learn what rounds should look like from the side.

look for matching table sizes in a ring like what you want. actually for matching i would let the jeweler handle that....

PearNut

Rough_Rock
Ok LadyKemma - remember I''m a newbie here and you are speaking a different language to me!
35.gif

Can you describe what you are stating here?

I definitely will rely on him for matching. I am very anxiously waiting my custom design - another week or so before I see the wax!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
read renee newman''s book. she teaches how to judge cut by eye. It ain''t hard.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results