shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone ever changed their given name?

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Either informally or formally (legally)?

Do you like your name? I'm having a tough time identifying with my name. It doesn't really fit me, nor do the shortened versions. It's not a bad name. It's pretty in the cute sort of way, but it's not me.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Aunt did. She never liked her first name and always went by her middle name, so a few years ago she had it legally changed-I think she switched the names around.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
My dad has his legally changed at 18. He was legally named "Dee" but was called Dan his whole life. At 18 he changed it to Daniel and hasn't looked back.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mom legally changed to her middle name and got rid of the first name she was given at birth.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
When I was six months old my parents amended my birth certificate to give me an extra letter, I have an original name and when people read it they weren't pronouncing it the way my parents intended. Frequently still gets pronounced wrong but is not that hard, people just try to make it into something more familiar. I LOVE the name they gave me because it sounds beautiful and it's as unique as I am. People can be put off by it and often ask if I go by nicknames, but I won't respond to them except for Kelpie which is an unrelated befitting name a dear friend bestowed on me.

My uncle's ex wife had a midlife crisis and changed her name from Pam to Mandie because she always hated her name. We all thought it was so weird to do it that late in life (she must have been 50). We would call her Pamdy. If it doesn't fit you, go by something else.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My mom changed her name from a very ethnic sounding name that no one could pronounce to something she liked that started with the same initial.

My son's friend was named Richard Lastname Jr. and hated the thought of being called Dick (since his dad was already Rick) so in elementary he informally changed it to a random name that he liked. When he turns 21 he's making it official. It's a macho sounding name that fits him perfectly because he plays hockey.

I say, change your name to what suits you.

Loverlover85

Rough_Rock
I know a girl that changed her name from Melissa to Melyssa. She was so concerned with the spelling of it, she had to be "different." I worked with her back in the day in a retail job, we had to wear name tags. Maybe she plans to wear a nametag for the rest of her life? I mean, outside of work and everything? haha.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I know a man who changed his last name so he wouldn't be identified with his father.

I don't mean to offend, but I do think it's strange to change the name that was chosen by your parents. As a mom, I put a lot of thought into what names I gave my children. The names are meaningful to me for very specific reasons and if they changed it, I would be devastated.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a friend in grade school who changed his name from "Jamie" to "Jason." He thought "Jamie" was too feminine. His mother felt differently, of course, but both of his parents were supportive regarding his decision to change his name.

I think if something in life is a relatively easy change, like a name, and it makes you feel better overall, then it's positive and although something to certainly consider carefully, ultimately it will be to your benefit.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Not directly, no. But for the laugh, I know of a very old man whose last name was Ramsbottom -- he had it changed to Ladylove :razz: I'm not sure which is worse!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MIL goes by her middle name in all venues of life - I'm not sure if she ever formally changed her first name, but at this point I can't see that making it legal would make any difference, she's so firmly established as Middle Last..

I did know someone who changed her name from Abby to Abigail, and I understand her reasoning - Abby sounds like a nickname, and nicknames aren't always appropriate in some professions

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. More thoughts on this:

I can see my niece changing her first name or basically "going by" her middle name in the future. Her first name is the same as mine and my SIL's, and although we as a family thought it was a fantastic thing, she might feel otherwise once she's grown. I would totally understand, and I am 99% sure her mother and father would as well.

SS: I get what you're saying. I think it would've bothered my mom to no end if I or my brother had wanted to change our given names. She put serious thought and sentimentality into both of ours and it would've been really hard for her to bear if either of us had said, "sorry, this one's just not for me!"

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mom's best friend changed her whole name.

She had been married a few times and divorced and after the second did not want to go back to her childhood name and did not want to go back to her first married name, so she got a whole new name! First and last. She went from a name like "Mildred" to "Chantale", not those names, but an equally diverse move! Chose a matching last name too. Her new name is much better.

My mom opted to change the spelling only of her name, which I thought was funny. Recently she changed the spelling back again :tongue: Like going from Jane to Jayne and then Jane again 8)

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
somethingshiny said:
I know a man who changed his last name so he wouldn't be identified with his father.

I don't mean to offend, but I do think it's strange to change the name that was chosen by your parents. As a mom, I put a lot of thought into what names I gave my children. The names are meaningful to me for very specific reasons and if they changed it, I would be devastated.
I'm not a parent, but I can understand how it would be hurtful if a child changed his or her name. At the same time, imagine how awful it would be to be stuck in a name that you hated. I have a friend who started out life as Amanda, changed to Mandy, then finally to Taylor. She (now he) ended up changing his last name a few years later, too.

He ultimately didn't identify with the person her parents named. I think that's the case a lot of times where the name just doesn't fit, and the meaning you (universal you) feel might not have the same positive associations for the person actually bearing the name. If a name change can make the person feel better in his or her skin, I think that's ultimately a good thing.

And, also, some people hate their parents and want nothing to do with a name associated with them. But that's a whole nother ball of wax.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I bugged my parents until they legally changed it

I was 8

I've always been the independent type :bigsmile:

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yssie said:
I did know someone who changed her name from Abby to Abigail, and I understand her reasoning - Abby sounds like a nickname, and nicknames aren't always appropriate in some professions

Similar story here. I knew a federal judge whose first name was Terry, and he had it changed to Terence. I thought it did sound more "formal" when he signed orders and opinions with "Terence", but informally he was still known as Terry.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I changed my first name last year. I had a couple of reasons for changing. I have a few things in my past that I am not proud of (no I didn't break the law!) and I wanted to cut off that person.... not sure if that makes sense. And I also wanted a Bible name. It meant a lot to me. I don't forget to write or sign my new name but I sometimes don't respond if someone calls me by my new name. I think that will come over time. :))

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses!

I asked my mom last night and I can tell she sounded very shocked and disappointed at the thought. I was originally going to be either Samantha Danielle or Samantha Nicole, but she changed it to Brittany a couple weeks before I was due. She heard the name at an ice cream shop. She didn't realize it would become trendeigh and later butchered. I really can't stand the non-traditional spellings. It really doesn't fit my personality now. I don't hate it. It's a pretty name, but I don't think it's 'me.' Now that I'm approaching my late 20's I want something that is more formal, I guess. "Brittany" screams "little girl" to me. It's not really a name that grows with me, KWIM?

I'm not sure if I'd have the balls (pardon my language) to formally change it. But I wouldn't mind friends calling my something different. My kids' names are Grace, Evangeline, Duncan and Henry. I'm sort of envious I don't have a classic "grown up" name.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
When my husband started school, he was allowed to pick an American name to use instead of his Vietnamese name (why my in-laws let an elementary-aged child pick his own name, I do not know; happily, he picked a good one!). He used this name for just about everything, so as an adult he had it legally changed. His parents are about 50/50 in terms of calling him by his American vs. his Vietnamese name. Sometimes, they use both in the same sentence.

I also have a good friend whose mother started using a new name as an adult. She had a perfectly normal name - along the lines of Catherine - and now uses a different but also normal name - think Teresa or similar. She has not changed it legally, so official things like her bank accounts and driver's license still have her original name.

Honestly, I've always wondered what motivated her to make that change, but it seemed intrusive to ask.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I plan on changing mine when my father passes away. I don't mind being named by him and for him, but I really hate the spelling, and the fact that my name isn't feminine.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I changed my name for a few years when I was a teenager. I was going into modelling and I wanted a name that was much shorter and easier to pronounce than my given name. Before I started college, I changed it back. It's not a difficult thing to do. I don't care for my whole first name at all and because of that, I've been known to everyone in my life by the second half of my first name. When I finally cave (LOL) and change my last name to my married name, I'm going to ditch the first half of my first name legally.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I think using a middle name, changing based on culture or moving and of course transgender based changes are all perfectly fine.

To the OP, I completely understand wanting an adult name. This was one area of thought we considered greatly while choosing names. The names had to sound good for all walks of life and at all ages.

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
somethingshiny said:
I think using a middle name, changing based on culture or moving and of course transgender based changes are all perfectly fine.

To the OP, I completely understand wanting an adult name. This was one area of thought we considered greatly while choosing names. The names had to sound good for all walks of life and at all ages.

That's my issue. 'Brittany' feels very young to me. My mom had never heard the name when she chose it. It's nice, but it doesn't suit me now.

I'm strongly considering changing my middle name and then going by the new name. Easier to explain. My husband was known by his shortened middle name growing up and still is by family. He doesn't like it, though. He prefers his first name.

I'm leaning strongly towards Aurora. I love the meaning behind it and it's sort of whimsical, yet old fashioned. :))

Sniven

Rough_Rock
I had a professor that made her husband change his last name before she would take it, both in spelling and pronunciation.

His last name was Cok (male rooster) and he changed it to Coke (refreshing beverage).

She said she couldn't handle being called Mrs. Male Rooster all day every day.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
My dad, uncle and husband all went by their middle name.
Many people know me only by my net name but it's not "official".
My mom changed her name from Mary to Merry in her teens.
Said she didn't feel like the mother of God.
I put a lot of thought into DS name but I have told him that if he
ever wants to change it then that's what he should do.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
sillyberry said:
somethingshiny said:

I'm not a parent, but I can understand how it would be hurtful if a child changed his or her name. At the same time, imagine how awful it would be to be stuck in a name that you hated. I have a friend who started out life as Amanda, changed to Mandy, then finally to Taylor. She (now he) ended up changing his last name a few years later, too.

He ultimately didn't identify with the person her parents named. I think that's the case a lot of times where the name just doesn't fit, and the meaning you (universal you) feel might not have the same positive associations for the person actually bearing the name. If a name change can make the person feel better in his or her skin, I think that's ultimately a good thing.

And, also, some people hate their parents and want nothing to do with a name associated with them. But that's a whole nother ball of wax.

I would be sad if Amelia changed her name, especially since a lot of thought did go into it (it wasn't just a name we "liked.") However, if she wanted to change it, I'd be supportive. It's her name, her life and I just want her to be happy.

But she'd have to know I'd be calling her Amelia until the end of time. :devil:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My grandmother wanted to be a writer so she changed the spelling of her first name and came up with an entirely different last name, all together. The family gossiped about it and decided, because they had nothing better to do, to judge and disapprove. I mean she was like 60 at the time. Give her a break!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sniven said:
I had a professor that made her husband change his last name before she would take it, both in spelling and pronunciation.

His last name was Cok (male rooster) and he changed it to Coke (refreshing beverage).

She said she couldn't handle being called Mrs. Male Rooster all day every day.
Yeah, I know for some names it shocks me that the people even keep the names. Seems like some last names are flat out cruel to go by and I can only imagine the kids/teenagers being tortured by all their classmates. lol

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My formal given name consisted of two Chinese names as a first name, my more "European" name as a middle name, and my family surname (which totally baffles almost everybody). I've always been called by my middle name - the only person who ever used my first name was my mother, and she did so only when she was mad at me. I reversed my first and middle names when I became a naturalized citizen because I was tired of trying to remember whether I had given my first or middle name as my first name for any given application -- was that confusing enough? I changed my name so that it reflected the way I actually think of and use my name, and it did make life just a tiny bit easier.

Several years ago I did know a woman (friend of a friend) who changed her name to "Leah" simply because she had always liked that name. She had moved to another town by the time she did that and I haven't seen her since then, but I can't for the life of me remember the name she used when I first met her, so I guess that the process was at least somewhat successful!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny said:

But... your children are the ones who have to live with the names you chose for them, for the rest of their lives. I suspect that if one of your children decided to change their name for a valid reason -- i.e., because it was important to her, and not because she was trying to hurt you -- that as a mom, you'd put aside your hurt and support her decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results