shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone done/is anyone doing intermittent fasting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That site is great @diamondseeker2006, thanks! There's a stuffed chicken and spinach recipe that looks really good too.

Actually that might have been the first one I made. For some reason I am making a lot of stuffed chicken recipes! :lol: But this one was very good. I happened to not have fresh spinach and used frozen, and it was still very good!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I lost another 6 oz, so I have now officially lost half a pound! I "think" I'm finally on my way. :appl:

yetanotherdancyguy.gif
woohoo001.gif
santinana.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
thankyou.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ellen .... you GOOOOOOO girl!! Fingers crossed that those ounces keep dropping.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you jb and Matata!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lost another 6 oz so I am definitely on my way. :dance: Won't do anymore updates for awhile.

For anyone curious, I usually eat two meals a day, but sometimes 3. If I do 3 the middle one is (usually) smaller. I try to keep it in 8 hours, but once in awhile it gets stretched a bit. No snacking. Definitely not counting calories. For one I refuse to live that way, plus it's not necessary on IF. Fat is actually welcomed and good for you. Now I'm not noshing on fattening stuff at every meal, but I don't worry about it either (it's a different mindset you have to get into). Just eating sensibly. Only sweeteners as I said before are honey and maple syrup. No processed foods with flour/sugar.

I've watched videos on IF where they tell you how to proportion your macros (fat, carb, protien), and I won't even do that. I look at it in a common sense way. Up until a few decades ago (for thousands of years), no one counted calories, divided up macros, etc. They just ate, and that's basically what I am doing. And I'm not cutting out any food either. I eat potatoes and rice and quinoa, and any fruit I want.

I only drink water, teas, raw milk, home made bone broth, and coffee. At least once a day, and sometimes two, I will put a teaspoonful of organic coconut oil in my coffee.

Some ladies from my church are getting together tomorrow night at Dairy Queen. In a way I don't want to eat anything because I'm finally on track. But this morning I remembered Dr. Fung saying, there are celebrations/occasions in life where you want to eat a sweet. So eat it, enjoy it, and then get right back on track. So I will have my blizzie. But instead of a medium, it will be a small. A mini if I conjure up enough resistance.
hmmm.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I agree with you, but I did count macros only for the first two weeks of starting relaxed keto, because I was clueless about the amoung of fat, protein, and carbs I was eating even with cutting out the stuff like flour and sugar products. I just didn't lose weight when I ate potatoes, rice, and pasta for evening meals. I only started really losing when I was strict on the carbs. But there have been a few too many special events recently :lol:(vacations, little trips, wedding, etc.) and I have just been maintaining the same weight for several weeks now. I have to go back to my normal strictness to get that ball rolling again. It's a little hard because our daughter is home after graduating college and will likely live here for a year or more until she likely gets married. She is tiny and doesn't need to be eating like we are, which means I have tempting bad food in my house! lol! Like chips and cookies and potatoes!!! haha! I am actually pretty good at home, but I break the rules when we are gone somewhere!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol at too many special events! :bigsmile: It's SO easy to justify.... I'm going to have to redefine special occasion. :(2 And that is great that you are at least maintaining. Make your daughter lock that stuff up in her closet!
paddle.gif
:lol:

Have you looked into apple cider vinegar for weight loss? I have read about and watched tons of videos of people who lost (the stars use it too). There's even science behind it. I want to do it, and tried (again) just recently. But every single time I try to take it, my face breaks out.
tantrum.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Admin got back with me, and apparently with the new forum they are unable to transfer the recipe related posts to my other thread. So I guess I will copy and paste them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
5 lbs lost in 2 months from start date. 0 exercise and no change in diet (office pizza lunch, chocolate treats, everything as usual not counting calories). The only difference is strict adherence to an 8 hour window (10 am to 6 pm). I sleep around 11 pm so that’s plenty of time for food to digest.

This will be extremely rough when I travel for work next month though. It’ll be a 3 week trip.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Chrono, that is great! AND, so glad to hear someone doing it while not changing their diet at all or exercising. Great insight into the fasting part alone.

Yes, traveling may make it a bit dicey. Good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I came across this young gals inspirational video and wanted to post it. She did IF, but it's about so much more than that. It's about how she came to finally appreciate she was just in her 20's and 30 pounds shy of 400 lbs, and that it was time to take charge of her health or die. On top of all that, she has a great sense of humor.

Watch it, you'll feel better.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am familiar with him, and while I do agree with some things he says, more and more I am not. Right off the bat, I see two things I'm not in agreement with. 1. Since when are we nocturnal eaters? Um, no. And 2., the foods he listed as not breaking a fast would, according to Dr. Fung who wrote a book on it. He listed none of those as ok while in the fasting window. It's mainly a few liquids.

But thanks for posting Matata. There's always something to take away from just about any article. I will continue reading. :read:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW, how is your weight loss coming along, or is it?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
how is your weight loss coming along, or is it?
Still losing between 6-8 oz and 1.4 lbs per day. It's pretty consistent -- 6-8 oz loss for 2-3 days then a 1 lb+ for a day or two then back to 6-8 oz. I'm feeling better and better the longer I do this. Energy level has skyrocketed to the point I feel antsy if I'm not moving all the time. Doing wonders for my "to do" list.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is great to hear!! And not just the weight loss, but how you feel physically. I too am noticing my energy level rise. On the downside, since the last day I posted that I lost, I have not lost another ounce. :confused: I am doing everything I should be, I can't, or won't do anything else. Except maybe try a 24 hour fast periodically. But as far as on a day to day basis, I'm not going to change. So, we'll see what happens.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read the article and do like a lot of what I read on Mercola's site, but I have never heard of Ori Hofmekler. That article seems to be targeted to people who do heavy workouts, and that's definitely not me.

I can only stick to the 7 hour eating window and 17 hour fasting. Skipping breakfast makes sense and I do believe three meals a day are not necessary. I am doing fine with that. I've only lost 21 pounds in 4 months, but that is partly because I had about 6-8 weeks with vacation and other events where I just allowed myself to loosen up on my normal routine. But I didn't gain during that time, either. So I kind of know what I can do and maintain weight, and that's what I'll have to do forever once I get to where I want to be. I prefer slower loss anyway, because rapid loss usually gets gained back.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the downside, since the last day I posted that I lost, I have not lost another ounce. :confused: I am doing everything I should be, I can't, or won't do anything else.
When I hit that plateau for 2 weeks, I was eating 1 meal between 3-5 p.m. I switched to eating between 1-3 p.m. and adding some extra fat via olive oil, avocado, and cheese to my meal and that seemed to do the trick. Maybe you should try switching up the times of day you eat and adding in some extra calories for a couple days each week. The one thing that stood out in the article I linked on Mercola's site is when he stated that we have to take into account the time it takes for our food to digest when counting our fasting hours. I think he's correct on that. So if it takes 3 hours for food to digest then adding 3 hrs to the fast makes sense.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've only lost 23pounds in 4 months,
Twenty-one pounds in 4 months is an achievement! That's 5.25 lbs/month which is pretty darn good when you consider that people on standard reduced calorie diets typically lose 1-3 lbs per month.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @Matata!

I am encouraged because at least I know what I am doing is working! I was lazy the last three years and just didn’t weigh regularly, and I just can’t ever do that again. I have to catch it when I go up a couple of pounds rather than wait til it’s 30 or something! I am not trying to be skinny like I was in my 20s by any means. I just want to be at a healthy average weight for my age and height, whatever that is! I am pretty much back into my clothes, but I might see if I can go down another size and then attempt to stay there! My impetus was knowing our youngest will likely get married next year, and I would like to look slimmer in her wedding pictures!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ellen thanks for posting the info in Dr Fung. I watched a few of his YouTube videos and he makes a lot of sense to me. When I was little, we ate 3 meals and no snacks. No one brought food to kids activities or took snack breaks. The prevalent wisdom was to not eat after 6 if one wanted to lose weight.

I found his book on IF in my local library and will try to read it over the long weekend. I tried to lose pregnancy weight after finishing breastfeeding my second child and haven't been successful. I think that pregnancy did a number on my body/hormones and I need a reset on the insulin balance.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata, I watched a video, can't remember if it was by Fung or someone else knowledgeable on IF. But at any rate, they were talking about taking into account digestion and how long insulin levels would be up after a meal. The lower carb you eat, the faster your insulin will recover and the faster you start fasting again.

I eat two meals most days. Breakfast/lunch depends on my schedule for the day. It can be anywhere from 8-1. usually later though. Dinner is always by 5:30. I can't do much more mixing that up, but I can try more fat. I'm certainly including some, plus I do at least one coffee with coconut oil in it. But I will see what I can do. Thanks for the tips! So glad you are losing again.

ds, I'll gladly take what you've lost, that's all I have to lose!! :lol-2: I will say this, I can't totally complain. My body IS changing, my shape is slimming some and my tops are definitely a bit looser. I know we should not focus just on the scale, but it's hard not to. Especially when you KNOW you got a bunch of fat to get rid of. :eek2:

babymonster, glad you feel like this might help you. As I posted much earlier in this thread, I used to be able to eat massive amounts of food, never exercised and was very slim. After I thought about it some more, we ate very clean. My mom was a health nut even back then. (I'm almost 60) No junk food of any kind or soda was allowed, except when someone spent the night. Dessert was for birthdays and rare company. She used real butter, and cooked very clean. A TV dinner was if my parents went out for dinner. So I think that played a huge role in my metabolism. And yes, he makes an enormous amount of sense. I wish you much success. Please let us know how you do!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say, I was extremely proud of myself today. I met a friend for coffee. She picked the place, and it was at this fabulous bakery.
1276752h6e4tykrbg.gif
I kept telling myself, no sweets for you! *said in soup nazi voice* So I went in, and looked at ALL the tantalizing, sugary, mouth watering sweets, and..................................... ordered coffee.
Happy%20dancing%20guy.gif
:bigsmile: And sat there smelling all that deliciousness for almost two hours with total resolve. It really wasn't near as bad as I thought it might be. And it just proved to myself that I am finally determined. No matter what does or doesn't happen, I can only make concessions once in awhile, not every time an opportunity arises.
Uhhuh.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks M. People don't realize how addicted to sweets I really was, so this probably doesn't seem like a big deal. But it was.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely understand. Sugar is addictive. If I fall off the wagon, it's into the abyss and the climb back out is difficult.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm linking another video. This gal started out on Keto, then incorporated IF also. Besides her obvious success so far (she's not done), what I took note of was the fact that she had Thyroid issues. At one point was on a med for it, has since quit taking it. Also, she has no gallbladder.

What I found interesting was him saying Thyroid problems usually either come from a gallbladder/liver issue, or, high estrogen from an overactive ovary. I am going to look into this as I have not heard any of this in my researching. However, if in fact this could be true, it might help me explain my Thyroid troubles. I have a gallbladder full of stones, diagnosed through an ultrasound. And, I had an ovary removed about 20 years ago. I don't know if that affects the ovary left or not.

Anyway, there's some good info in here. And it proves that doing IF does not mean you're going to aggravate existing Thyroid issues. Quite the contrary. This is not the first or second time I've heard this.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results