shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone done/is anyone doing intermittent fasting?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dr Eric Westman is the real deal. I also like the Obesity Code, by Fung. It is interesting to note that he is a kidney dr who specialized in diabetes and realized that the standard diet was hurting his patients. I have never ate better or felt better than I have since starting keto. I have a dear friend who is undergoing radiation for uterine cancer and she eats a lot of sugar. Cant convince her to give it up and I can't tell you how sad that makes me. I believe she will be ok but sugar is seriously addictive. I hope I never fall back in its clutches.
I have recently come to the conclusion that I need to keep my meals simple and keep the use of sweeteners to a minimum. I went on a 3 day trip and had coffee in the morning (with cream) and lunch and dinner and didn't snack and kept my meals simple and dropped three pounds. I have been stuck for months. So I think I will stick to this and see how I do.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luv, I too have a friend who recently went through chemo for breast cancer. She has a few other health issues too. Eats sugar, eats a poor diet, and doesn't seem to care. I really worry about what will be next.... :/

I am not doing what would be considered strict keto, I will eat all the different fruits. But other than that I am pretty close. I too am feeling better, more energy, better focused.

No weight loss yet, and today is day 6. I have just read though that coffee can spike Cortisol which spikes insulin. But then, Dr. Fung says coffee's fine, even good for fasting. Who do I believe?! (I want to believe Dr. Fung lol) So I may try cutting down on that a bit. I do drink it black.

The only sweeteners I try to use are honey and maple sugar.

So glad about your loss, hope it continues! :appl:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I noticed something very interesting at the gym today. I have been weight training for about 6 months now. There is one machine that works your arms, and you can adjust it to move your arms in to out, and out to in. Either way, it was always so noticeable how much weaker my left arm is, as I am right handed. Today, there was an almost imperceptible difference. I seriously could tell almost no difference. It was amazing.

Now, I know for a fact that the IF has everything to do with this, but why? What is it?! Strange... but good. :cool2: :appl:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, I know for a fact that the IF has everything to do with this, but why? What is it?!
Congratulations on having two matching arms:mrgreen2: I know how difficult that can be to achieve. What makes you think it's IF rather than improvement over time? When I did serious weightlifting I noticed the same phenomenon -- weeks/months would go by and my weaker left side would not show improvement and then BAM it suddenly caught up with my right.

Warning -- hissy fit ahead -- I have PLATEAUED aaarrgh drat and phooey. Knew it was coming but I really really really really don't like it when it happens. I'll power through but drat and phooey.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on having two matching arms:mrgreen2: I know how difficult that can be to achieve. What makes you think it's IF rather than improvement over time? When I did serious weightlifting I noticed the same phenomenon -- weeks/months would go by and my weaker left side would not show improvement and then BAM it suddenly caught up with my right.

Warning -- hissy fit ahead -- I have PLATEAUED aaarrgh drat and phooey. Knew it was coming but I really really really really don't like it when it happens. I'll power through but drat and phooey.
Well, I guess because my left arm was weaker last week? Unless I magically got stronger over the weekend, I'm saying the last 6 days of IF did it. :mrgreen: :P2 (I suppose it is possible i just got stronger though....)

Aw, I'm so sorry you hit a speed bump.
gaah.gif
Do you ever or have you ever tried apple cider vinegar in water? I am implementing that as well. Supposed to be great for weight loss (among a myriad of other things). I was trying to just wait and see what the IF did alone, but I am at the point where I just want to start losing. Anyway, something to think about.

At least you lost some though, I'm still waiting....
tapping.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am in the course of starting to read reviews for Dr. Fung's other book, on fasting in particular.
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gui...id=1534615836&sr=8-4&keywords=jason+fung+diet

I was struck by this comment. Note the variety of medical issues she started out with, and remedied, just through eating clean and fasting. Impressive.

Heyokah1 year agoIn reply toan earlier post
Report abuse
My labs were not normal and I took medications for hyperlipidemia, hypertension, thyroid, and migraine: the blood sugar issues I was instructed to control with diet and exercise. I had three kidney surgeries in one year and a heart cath. I was forced to give up my home and the job I loved and move in with my daughter and son-in-love due to my health and mobility issues. I started eating clean seven years ago, soon after family and friends gathered for my "last" Christmas. Talk about an effective, if unplanned, Intervention! I ate low carb and organic, advanced to a HFLC diet, became fat adapted in 2014, and began IF a year later hoping to end a 24 month plateau. I have lost 33 pounds this year, close to 100 pounds overall, and, more importantly, now live independently and in good health in my own home. Fasting to me isn't about giving up or doing without, it's about getting back and fulfilling my plans for living in the leap. :)
Leave a reply

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen, I would drop the maple sugar and honey because they will definitely spike your insulin and keep your inflammation high. Try xylitol made from birch bark and Swerve -which is stevia made from plants mixed with eryithritol made from veggies. Neither will spike your blood glucose. You can really slow your progress health wise using these glucose/insulin spiking sugars (maple and honey).

Last edited:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a photo of what is left of the Kringle I made this morning. The recipe is from Maria Emmerichs book entitled “Keto Comfort Foods”. You really can have it all eating this way. Low inflammation, better health, and the foods you love. Hubby loved this, which is why there is only half left. 370CED04-3D4C-4669-AD43-54AF3A8E3C6A.jpeg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Luv, thank you for trying to help me out. :wavey: However, I will have to politely disagree. I did a lot of research a while back on my two verses other sweeteners. I will post some links on both. Besides the nutritional factors, I based my decision to use these two on the fact that they have been around since the beginning of time. And while I don't expect most to understand, or agree with me, I base a lot of decisions from a biblical perspective. And honey is not only mentioned many times in the Bible, it is indicative of very good things. If it was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me. ::)

From the articles I have read, I am not at all convinced that other sweeteners are better, and in fact I believe they aren't. But, I know we all have to follow our own hearts. And I do indeed appreciate you looking out for me! (and who doesn't love a kringle!) :lickout:

ALL foods spike insulin, but how fast it comes down afterward is of more concern. I just honestly believe honey and maple syrup are healthier overall.

Honey and Diabetes: The Importance of Natural Simple Sugars in Diet for Preventing and Treating Different Type of Diabetes
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5817209/

The Many Health Benefits of Raw Honey
https://draxe.com/the-many-health-benefits-of-raw-honey/

Honey Fun Facts
http://www.heathmonthoney.com.au/bees/HoneyHistory.htm

Pure maple syrup contains medicinally beneficial compounds, pharmacy researcher finds
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/03/100321182924.htm

Xylitol Side Effects: Safe or Dangerous?
https://draxe.com/xylitol-side-effects/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Luv, I will definitely check out the cook book. Thanks!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I realized late last night I did not address the swerve/eryithritol. Just want you all to be informed on your choices! :)) (not trying to be a kill joy here, but we really should know exactly what we're eating)

I've heard before to use the green. Types of Stevia.
https://draxe.com/stevia/

Eryithritol
https://draxe.com/erythritol/

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm totally not a believer in fake sweeteners after the studies I've had to read. I prefer sugar in moderation. Frankly, I think you can eat any damn thing you want if you do it in moderation (excluding the lactose intolerant, the allergy-prone and celiac disease patients).

The most important thing as you get older is to stay moving. Take the stairs. Take a walk. As someone said to me yesterday, "sitting is the new smoking".

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with moderation. But I will still try and switch out sugar for something else (honey/ms) if I can, just because I do think it's a better choice. That said, nobody's stopping me from eating a turtle blizzard from DQ occasionally. :bigsmile: :lickout:

LOVE this! "sitting is the new smoking"

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Ellen, I totally agree with you on so many fronts. If I were going to eat a pure glucose sweetener, it would be honey or maple syrup, and I do agree that there may be some distinct advantages to especially honey. I am very wary of gmo’s and try to make sure I purchase as clean of a product as I can. My goals are different. I want to keep my blood sugar as low as possible and to produce smaller amounts of insulin. While it is true, that all eating produces some insulin, different foods produce different amounts. I am looking forward to reading the links that you posted more in depth. (We are traveling right now and coverage goes in an out). I have not had any side effects from the sweeteners I use, but I also don’t eat a whole lot. A little xylitol in my coffee (made from all birch bark), but most days that’s it. Hubby eats much more than I do. What I have noticed, and what is most important to me, is that these other sweeteners do not cause cravings in me. One small bite of either maple syrup or honey would set me off with a round of cravings. I am so happy to be free of that, that I will happily use these other sweeteners in small amounts. I believe that the cancer link is vastly stronger to regular sugar and the chemical sweeteners than to xylitol. That is what my own research has lead me but each person must decide for themselves due to their goals. Blessings to you, Ellen.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm totally not a believer in fake sweeteners after the studies I've had to read. I prefer sugar in moderation. Frankly, I think you can eat any damn thing you want if you do it in moderation (excluding the lactose intolerant, the allergy-prone and celiac disease patients).

The most important thing as you get older is to stay moving. Take the stairs. Take a walk. As someone said to me yesterday, "sitting is the new smoking".
I got to thinking about you saying you "had" to read about the different sweeteners, and was just wondering what that meant. If you care to elaborate. If not, I understand. :))

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Ellen, I totally agree with you on so many fronts. If I were going to eat a pure glucose sweetener, it would be honey or maple syrup, and I do agree that there may be some distinct advantages to especially honey. I am very wary of gmo’s and try to make sure I purchase as clean of a product as I can. My goals are different. I want to keep my blood sugar as low as possible and to produce smaller amounts of insulin. While it is true, that all eating produces some insulin, different foods produce different amounts. I am looking forward to reading the links that you posted more in depth. (We are traveling right now and coverage goes in an out). I have not had any side effects from the sweeteners I use, but I also don’t eat a whole lot. A little xylitol in my coffee (made from all birch bark), but most days that’s it. Hubby eats much more than I do. What I have noticed, and what is most important to me, is that these other sweeteners do not cause cravings in me. One small bite of either maple syrup or honey would set me off with a round of cravings. I am so happy to be free of that, that I will happily use these other sweeteners in small amounts. I believe that the cancer link is vastly stronger to regular sugar and the chemical sweeteners than to xylitol. That is what my own research has lead me but each person must decide for themselves due to their goals. Blessings to you, Ellen.
That's so interesting, as that's exactly what I have read other sweeteners can do! Thankfully I don't experience that with my naturals. (and thankfully you don't either) And actually our goals are the same Luv. We're just going about things differently. ;)2
Wishing you happy and safe travels! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was using only a small amount of Stevia in my coffee (the equivalent of a half packet) waaaayyyy before I ever started a low carb diet. I knew the chemical sweetners (and sugar) were bad and stopped using them a long time ago. I am in total agreement that honey is technically better than sugar (I agree that all fruits and veggies and honey, etc. were created for our health and enjoyment), but it is high carb so I can't use it on a daily basis since I really need to reserve my few carbs for fruits and veggies. However, when one is not trying to lose weight, it would be totally different and you might be able to include the extra carbs from honey or other sweet fruits, etc. Dr. Axe has mostly good to say about Stevia, but I actually am drinking my coffee with cream right now and eliminating the Stevia. I am also drinking iced tea without sweetener. However, I confess I ate a cookie today, so I do make trade-offs! :lol:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was using only a small amount of Stevia in my coffee (the equivalent of a half packet) waaaayyyy before I ever started a low carb diet. I knew the chemical sweetners (and sugar) were bad and stopped using them a long time ago. I am in total agreement that honey is technically better than sugar (I agree that all fruits and veggies and honey, etc. were created for our health and enjoyment), but it is high carb so I can't use it on a daily basis since I really need to reserve my few carbs for fruits and veggies. However, when one is not trying to lose weight, it would be totally different and you might be able to include the extra carbs from honey or other sweet fruits, etc. Dr. Axe has mostly good to say about Stevia, but I actually am drinking my coffee with cream right now and eliminating the Stevia. I am also drinking iced tea without sweetener. However, I confess I ate a cookie today, so I do make trade-offs! :lol:
I've been thinking that's where I should clarify something. I may inadvertently be giving the impression of ingesting mass amounts of honey and maple syrup on a daily basis. That's far from the case. I would say more days than not, I use neither. When I do use them, it's maybe a 1/2 tsp. of honey in my smoothie, (I drink my coffee black) or a tsp. or two in my oatmeal. That's pretty much it. I don't eat those every day, and I don't make sweet stuff except very rarely. So for that, I feel no guilt or worry at all. And yeah, we are all going to make sweet concessions ocassionally (cookies, cakes, blizzards, etc), life should not become drudgery.
1263732qjo53yeqzf.gif

I think flour is a way bigger culprit than honey or maple syrup. It's been altered from what it used to be, and definitely spikes insulin besides just being unhealthy. I've stopped using commercial flour, and have gone to using Einkorn flour.

https://be-still-farms.com/blogs/he...wheat-history-health-cooking-tips-and-recipes

Thanks for chiming in ds! :wavey:

Last edited:

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's a LOT of questions and answers! I love that site, though. It has helped me a lot knowing what to eat and what not to eat. I am sticking to 16/8 or 17/7 IF.

Yes, white (or even "whole wheat" processed flour products are a big no for us. Even when I did (or do) eat bread, it's an expensive kind made of sprouted grains such as Ezekiel Bread. A lot of people on the keto diet use almond flour, but I don't like to cook enough to make bread from scratch! I'll do without first! :lol: But right now since I am trying to lose weight, I want my carbs mostly from fruits and veggies, so I am not eating even the "good" bread.

Gotcha on the honey. That's like me on the cream in coffee. I saw someone ask him that on the questions, and I don't use more than a teaspoon of cream in my coffee.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2B64CA66-4766-42B8-9770-8F61BF7EE65F.jpeg Slight threadjack! I made bread from eggs and almond flour, it was actually pretty easy, didn't take too long...looks better than it tastes though LOL Kind of dry. I read after I made it that a few drops of Stevia improve the taste. It wasn't bad toasted with pimento cheese (recipe from Atkins). There are lots of recipes online, probably give it another try at some point.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Junebug, your bread looks great! The dietdoctor site is great. Kristie Sullivan is a contributor often on it. If anyone is looking for low carb keto recipes, her new book is pretty great, and she will have another one coming out in December that is holiday type recipes called Keto Gatherings. The one out now is called Keto living day to day. I have pretty much switched out all my cookbooks. I have kept my favorites for making dishes for friends and family on occasion. DH and I are really enjoying trying out new recipes together. Even brought some in our 5th wheel to cook at the beach.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @luv2sparkle! I will check out that site and I am definitely going to get Kristie Sullivan's book, I try to stick to a keto diet as much as my willpower will allow, I feel better and it helps keep my weight in check. Excited to have a few more resources!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's a LOT of questions and answers! I love that site, though. It has helped me a lot knowing what to eat and what not to eat. I am sticking to 16/8 or 17/7 IF.

Yes, white (or even "whole wheat" processed flour products are a big no for us. Even when I did (or do) eat bread, it's an expensive kind made of sprouted grains such as Ezekiel Bread. A lot of people on the keto diet use almond flour, but I don't like to cook enough to make bread from scratch! I'll do without first! :lol: But right now since I am trying to lose weight, I want my carbs mostly from fruits and veggies, so I am not eating even the "good" bread.

Gotcha on the honey. That's like me on the cream in coffee. I saw someone ask him that on the questions, and I don't use more than a teaspoon of cream in my coffee.
Yeah, that's what I eat, though it tastes like cardboard. :lol: I wanted to make my own real bread, not almond flour bread, but dang, a recipe calls for like 4-6 cups of flour. And the flour I use is really expensive. So far, I just can't justify it. :(2

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
2B64CA66-4766-42B8-9770-8F61BF7EE65F.jpeg Slight threadjack! I made bread from eggs and almond flour, it was actually pretty easy, didn't take too long...looks better than it tastes though LOL Kind of dry. I read after I made it that a few drops of Stevia improve the taste. It wasn't bad toasted with pimento cheese (recipe from Atkins). There are lots of recipes online, probably give it another try at some point.
No worries jb, good to "see" you! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually ordered two keto coookbooks by Carolyn Ketchum. But so far, I have actually used printed recipes that I saw online. Some are from this site:

https://thatlowcarblife.com/

I believe they tell you whether the recipe is low carb or keto, too.

Just saw this one...YUM!!!

https://thatlowcarblife.com/broccoli-and-cheese-stuffed-chicken/

This is similar and I did make it a couple of weeks ago...good!

https://thatlowcarblife.com/asparagus-stuffed-chicken/

Thanks for the info on the almond flour bread, @junebug17 !!!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three of Carolyn Ketchum’s books and I like them very much. Her recipes always come out well for me. I am anxious to try her cracker recipes. I do miss crackers and cheese. I haven got around to making these but I have made keto bagels. I do like Kristie’s fathead dough for them because she adds at fiber which lowers the total carbs. They are a treat for me though and not an everyday thing. I also love Maria Emmerich’s books and own every one, along with a couple other authors. I have found that for me, this is the key to making keto a lifestyle. I can’t think of a single thing that I could not make a keto version of. I also follow many of these ladies on Facebook so when they post a new recipe I see it. Probably the only reason I am on FB anymore. Kristie’s, Keto living book has recipes that have super easy to find ingredients and my boys still at home, who do not eat anywhere close to keto, enjoy these recipes. I also pin quite a few recipes to Pinterest.
I wish I could share that with you DS, so you could find a wealth of recipes, but I am sure you can just search keto and probably find my board or and even better one.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, the scale finally went down this morning. Are you ready? *drumroll*

2 oz

lol3.gif

blankstare012.gif

Yeah, NOT impressive, at first glance. However, it went below a threshold I have not seen in many moons. I will take it, I'm desperate. :lol:
yayy.gif

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually ordered two keto coookbooks by Carolyn Ketchum. But so far, I have actually used printed recipes that I saw online. Some are from this site:

https://thatlowcarblife.com/

I believe they tell you whether the recipe is low carb or keto, too.

Just saw this one...YUM!!!

https://thatlowcarblife.com/broccoli-and-cheese-stuffed-chicken/

This is similar and I did make it a couple of weeks ago...good!

https://thatlowcarblife.com/asparagus-stuffed-chicken/

Thanks for the info on the almond flour bread, @junebug17 !!!

That site is great @diamondseeker2006, thanks! There's a stuffed chicken and spinach recipe that looks really good too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results