shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone compared Loosegrown diamond lab chosen by our experts, vs. WF or BG lab?

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I am wondering if anyone has insight into the visual differences between the Whiteflash, Brian Gavin (or Distinctive Gem), in-house premium lab stones, vs. ones chosen by our consumer experts here from Loosegrowndiamond? I have 1 ctw ACA studs, and am obsessed with how beautiful they are...but if I were to get larger ones, they would have to be lab. I am wondering if there is really a significant difference in these options? I don't like to spend more than I need to, but I am willing to budget for it if needed. I have ruled out Alex Park just because I think it's important to be able to choose and vet the specs.
Thanks!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience Brian Gavin premium lab stones generally have crisper patterning than unbranded stones. Stones with crisper patterning look more lively in motion, but for earrings I think size makes a bigger difference. The unbranded AGS 0 cut in my comparison performs similarly to the Brian Gavin branded stones I have.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
In my experience Brian Gavin premium lab stones generally have crisper patterning than unbranded stones. Stones with crisper patterning look more lively in motion, but for earrings I think size makes a bigger difference. The unbranded AGS 0 cut in my comparison performs similarly to the Brian Gavin branded stones I have.

Thank you, that is an incredibly helpful thread. I am thinking 2-2.5 ctw for the earrings. I think for my use, I do care how the faceting looks close-up on earrings, because I will be looking at them at close range in the mirror. Price does play a big factor--trying to figure out the right balance. Comparing 2 ctw E VS1-2 GCAL 8x found on Adiamor with Whiteflash's Precision Lab, a GCAL 8x pair might be about $500 cheaper.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) did a talk last week with John Pollard of IGI. I believe the top might be available on YouTube either now or in the near future.

Garry pointed out that studs receive light in a completely different fashion, then rings. Studs receive light from the side and not from above. He also showed that as distance increases some diamonds appear worse if they’re cut for up close viewing.

Plus, he did his own experiment with his wife, where he had her wear a branded stud on one side and a non-ideal cut in the other ear. Even amongst diamond experts, the shallower non-branded cut won over time and time again. That thread is also somewhere on here.

I can’t remember the details exactly, but don’t think that you want different proportions on your studs simply because you’re trying to save money. You want different proportions on your studs because they function differently as earrings rather than a ring. And even if you look at them in the mirror, that distance is likely further than what you would normally look at on your hand.

If I can find that talk, I’ll post it. After listening to that talk and reading @0-0-0’s threads, I wonder if ACA’s (and other comparable stones) are a waste on earrings. It’s quite possible that well selected PS studs will rival and possibly surpass branded pairs.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) did a talk last week with John Pollard of IGI. I believe the top might be available on YouTube either now or in the near future.

Garry pointed out that studs receive light in a completely different fashion, then rings. Studs receive light from the side and not from above. He also showed that as distance increases some diamonds appear worse if they’re cut for up close viewing.

Plus, he did his own experiment with his wife, where he had her wear a branded stud on one side and a non-ideal cut in the other ear. Even amongst diamond experts, the shallower non-branded cut won over time and time again. That thread is also somewhere on here.

I can’t remember the details exactly, but don’t think that you want different proportions on your studs simply because you’re trying to save money. You want different proportions on your studs because they function differently as earrings rather than a ring. And even if you look at them in the mirror, that distance is likely further than what you would normally look at on your hand.

If I can find that talk, I’ll post it. After listening to that talk and reading @0-0-0’s threads, I wonder if ACA’s (and other comparable stones) are a waste on earrings. It’s quite possible that well selected PS studs will rival and possibly surpass branded pairs.

Thank you for reminding me! I did read that post. I think I had trouble processing the concept that super ideals wouldn’t be the best for everything. I do look at my earrings in the mirror from a close range, and I don’t know how they appear to others. @DejaWiz and @Kim N , when you look for diamonds for studs, are you looking to get as close to super ideal as possible, or are you looking for shallower diamonds for earrings specifically?

edit: Here is Garry's post on his experiment: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nd-deep-pavilion-question.276860/post-5209523

Here is the IGI talk:

Last edited:

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for reminding me! I did read that post. I think I had trouble processing the concept that super ideals wouldn’t be the best for everything. I do look at my earrings in the mirror from a close range, and I don’t know how they appear to others. @DejaWiz and @Kim N , when you look for diamonds for studs, are you looking to get as close to super ideal as possible, or are you looking for shallower diamonds for earrings specifically?

edit: Here is Garry's post on his experiment: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nd-deep-pavilion-question.276860/post-5209523

Here is the IGI talk:

I think the theory is based partially on where the light is originating from. In rings, the light mostly appears from above (overhead).
diamond-light-refraction.42b95087.jpg
In earrings and necklaces, the light is 90degrees angled from the table.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Here is the IGI talk:

It depends on the person's end goal: either close to SIC or a bit more brilliance-balanced.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
At about 15 minutes is where they talk about viewing distance on the YouTube video. So interesting!

I guess it depends on who you want the diamond stud to look pretty for - other people at 2 1/2ft away or yourself at 9.8 inches.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
At about 15 minutes is where they talk about viewing distance on the YouTube video. So interesting!

I guess it depends on who you want the diamond stud to look pretty for - other people at 2 1/2ft away or yourself at 9.8 inches.

I know! That is the big question! I’m
looking forward to watching the presentation.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here is the IGI talk:

I usually look for ideal combos that favor brightness, and I nitpick a little less about the cut precision unless the OP is looking for true super ideal cut.

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
I usually look for ideal combos that favor brightness, and I nitpick a little less about the cut precision unless the OP is looking for true super ideal cut.

Thanks! What would someone expect to pay for a one-carat stone from loose grown diamond that passes your vetting? I’m not ready to buy, just looking into cost first.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! What would someone expect to pay for a one-carat stone from loose grown diamond that passes your vetting? I’m not ready to buy, just looking into cost first.

Under $400 most likely.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Since you have an ACA already I suggest comparing it with a well cut unbranded one in person to see whether the difference matters to you. The price difference is pretty big for 1 ct+ stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results