shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone bought from this vendor?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Hello it has been a long time since I''ve posted on the forum but you guys have always been such a great bunch to talk to, bounce ideas off of and offer great advice. In the past, I spent most of my time researching and discussing diamonds (for my ering a few years back), but colored stones are also a passion for me. I have been considering a stone from a vendor which is overseas. Their prices are very good, they appear reputable and the stone I am considering is not very expensive so it''s not too big of a risk, but it would sure give me some peace of mind to hear of other peoples'' experiences with these types of transactions. My husband (who does a lot of buying and selling of musical instruments/equipment online) said I needed to ask about duty fees are there any other questions specifically for international vendors that I need to ask?

http://www.gemselect.com/

Many Thanks in Advance!

Cym

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I have looked at that vendor several times, but many of their stones are treated. At least they inform you of the treatments used though!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I have often wondered if their photos are treated too?

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Yeah I guess i should really do more research before buying something. Thanks for the feedback guys!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I''ve never bought anything from them, I cannot confirm the accuracy of this statement:
I''ve heard that Gem Select photoshops their gemstone to improve the colour shown on the website.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
They also sell on eBay under seller name ''settgold''. I''ve bought about 10 inexpensive gem stones from their eBay store before, all via auctions. I found in general the stones are described accurately but the pictures are usually under bright lighting than natural light, which is quite typical for vendor pictures. I am attaching here a pink spinel I bought from settgold. Top right corner is the vendor picture as a comparison. They are usually honest about treatments including BE heating.

General tips - it is okay to buy inexpensive stones from them but I wouldn''t go high end with them. Although return service is promised, don''t count on that. Once I tried to send back a topaz and was instructed to send via non registered mail to avoid custom fees. They claimed to have never received my stone.
Loose%20Gem%20Seller%20Pictures1.jpg

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono and yingh that is very helpful. As I mentioned, the stone I am looking at is not very expensive and I am not too concerned about the heat treatment (for the price and the stone this is expected). Yingh you bring up an interesting point about their return policy. Let me ask are you happy with the purchases you have made? For inexpensive items would you purchase again? Or has your experience with the failed return soured your opinion in terms of dealing with them again? Thanks again these replies are very helpful in informing my decision.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I will buy again. My satisfaction rate from settgold purchases were pretty high - I set my expectation at a reasonable level. For the price paid, I have no complains. One more thing, do expect native cuts so you have to examine the pictures carefully. In summary their products are: good rough material (in many cases) + native cut + reasonable price

By the way, I just ordered a small pair of round tsavorite - will report back once received.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results