shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone bought from royaljewelsgems on ebay?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Wondering if anyone has experience with royaljewelsgems on ebay:
They say they're based in Thailand. They seem to have lifted a lot of their wording from Jeff Davies' ebay store, and their photos are similar to his. Some of the stones look tempting, but the policy says no returns. Their feedback looks good. I was hoping someone had personal experience with them to share. Thanks!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They seem to have lifted a lot of their wording from Jeff Davies' ebay store, and their photos are similar to his

Just took a quick look since I have been a bit critical of Davies' photos in the past -- but I know nothing about the quality of his merchandise or service.

Your eBay vendor's are in a similar "style" (if that's the right word) but look less oversaturated and less over-contrast. Still, I'm confident that whatever you buy from that vendor will be less impressive in person. Hundred-dollar gems tend to not be world-class, imo.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, @LilAlex. I'm not expecting the treasures of princes--more wondering if whatever I might buy would turn out to be real, natural, and actually the type of stone they claim it is. Stealing somebody else's wording suggests a certain dishonesty to begin with. I'll probably look elsewhere. But I thought I'd check here just in case anyone had actually tried them and could recommend them or warn me off.

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm not allowed to comment on the vendor.

That said, I would never buy anything from someone who doesn't allow an easy returns policy and process.

My experience online has been that the easier and better the return policy, the better the product quality is.

This goes for more or less all goods and services, not just jewelry.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @LilAlex. I'm not expecting the treasures of princes--more wondering if whatever I might buy would turn out to be real, natural, and actually the type of stone they claim it is.

I just meant that when every single stone sold by the vendor is to die for -- and yet they only cost $100 -- I don't trust the accuracy of the description/photos, etc.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never heard to them, let alone buying anything from them.

BTW, JD and his son have moved back to and are operating from UK (Wales I believe) and are no longer based in Thailand.

DK :))

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I just meant that when every single stone sold by the vendor is to die for -- and yet they only cost $100 -- I don't trust the accuracy of the description/photos, etc.

Got it--good point. Yeah, I was suspicious about the images because they look overly bright--like the photograph was taken with a floodlight and they'd probably turn out to be too dark--and the "no returns" is a big turnoff.

I was looking for an iolite, which is not a very expensive stone to begin with, and they had a bunch of them, and they look cleaner and more symmetrically cut than average. I thought it might be worth taking a chance, if PSers had tried them and had good experiences. But most of their iolites look like they're oriented the wrong way and have a clear stripe across the table--which might be cool looking in person, but might just look stupid and wrong, and it's not worth the risk with no return policy.

(They seem to orient some of their tourmalines that way too, so that the pink ones, for example, have a yellowy stripe across the top. Is that a thing people do on purpose with dichroic gems? Or is it just a bad cutting choice?)

I ended up ordering my iolite from Caratsgems, which some PSers have had good experiences with. They have a good return policy. It's coming on the slow boat, which should give me something to look forward to around Halloween...

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
I do not recommend. I regret my purchases through them

musicloveranthony

Brilliant_Rock
(They seem to orient some of their tourmalines that way too, so that the pink ones, for example, have a yellowy stripe across the top. Is that a thing people do on purpose with dichroic gems? Or is it just a bad cutting choice?)

They are cutting their rough to achieve the largest finished stone - not the best finished stone. That's a practice that tells me their priorities don't align with mine

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results