shape
carat
color
clarity

Has Anybody used Luminosity Brain Training?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not long ago I stumbled upon luminosity.com - on-line game-type exercises that are supposed to train your brain and improve some game functions. I enjoyed the exercises I tried and I did see improvement in my scores, but I have no idea whether that translates to improvement in real-life situations. The concept is appealing to me though - I deal with ADD and some visual processing disconnects, and the possibility that playing games would improve my ability to cope with those conditions is tantalizing! I also know that when my nephew was diagnosed with a learning disorder, specialized computer games tremendously improved his ability to read.

The subscription cost is $6 per month if I sign up for a year. Truly minor, I know, and normally I wouldn't even blink at this. I guess I'm just leery about the prospect of being taken for a ride.

So... has anybody tried luminosity, or something like it, beyond the free trial periods? If so, I'd really appreciate hearing about your experience with it.

Thanks!

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Lumosity is very well marketed and that's about it.

My little brother has been hooked on luminosity for about two years now, and honestly I haven't noticed any real benefit in his memory and his grades have not improved at university. I've read studies about the effectiveness of luminosity training and basically practicing the games makes you better at those games, but there is no evidence to suggest that the game skills are transferable as useful skills in real lifehttp://thestochasticman.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/why-brain-training-doesnt-work/. Pay for it if you enjoy it, but don't expect to get any specific benefit.

I expect sudoku, logic puzzels, crossword puzzles or learning to play a new instrument would help your brain in a similar or even more stimulating fashion.

Physical excercise is supposed to be quite good for the brain according to several different studies. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17050486/ns/health-fitness/t/boost-your-brain-power-exercise/

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback, HD. I'll check out the sources - that's my concern really, that you manage to learn the little games but it has no real-life impact.

If anyone else has tried this or something like it, I'd love to hear about your experience!

Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results