shape
carat
color
clarity

Harvard's oldest club warns against admitting women

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016...dmitting-women/7261460658891/?spt=hs&or=tn_us

Harvard does not provide support to the Porcellian Club. Photo by Marcio Jose Bastos Silva/Shutterstock
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 14 (UPI) -- Inclusion of women in Harvard's all-male social club would increase the risk of sexual assault, according to the leader of the Porcellian Club.

The club, which is one of the university's most secretive social organizations, is among the all-male clubs at the Ivy school under pressure to admit women in an effort to promote gender equity and reduce the risk of campus sexual assault.

But Charles Storey, the graduate board president of the club, disagrees.

In a letter to the Harvard Crimson, he wrote, "Such McCarthyism is a dangerous road that would be a blow to academic freedom, the spirit of tolerance, and the long tradition of free association on campus."

He added, "Given our policies, we are mystified as to why the current administration feels that forcing our club to accept female members would reduce the incidence of sexual assault on campus. Forcing single gender organizations to accept members of the opposite sex could potentially increase, not decrease, the potential for sexual misconduct."

Storey said that sexual assault wasn't a problem at the Porcellian and that the club had become a "scapegoat." Because members could not be present in the clubhouse, they could not be victim of sexual assault, Storey said.

As news of his comment spread around campus Wednesday, Storney, who is president of the Harpoon Brewery in Boston, posted an apology on his company's website, "I chose my words poorly, and it came out all wrong."

The Porcellian Club includes notable alumni: President Theodore Roosevelt, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sen. Henry Cabot Lodge and the famed Winklevoss twins, Cameron and Tyler, who sued Mark Zuckerberg over the founding of Facebook.

The secretive club was founded in 1790.

In 1984, the university required its clubs to admit women. Then clubs broke official ties with Harvard and remain unrecognized by the university.

Harvard's dean, Rakesh Khurana, said in a statement, "the college has a responsibility to protect our values and our students' well-being, even in the face of perceived short-term challenges of changing the status quo."

Harvard has an undergraduate enrollment of 6,694, with a gender distribution of 52.8 percent male students and 47.2 percent female students. Its total enrollment is 19,929.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1460691231|4019541 said:
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 14 (UPI) Inclusion of women in Harvard's all-male social club would increase the risk of sexual assault ...

Hmm, that sounds familiar.
Where have I heard the, don't expect men to control their penises, argument before? :think:

Oh Yeah ... :whistle:

screen_shot_2016-04-14_at_14.png

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of it like the Boy Scouts. It's a boys' club. I Think they used the wrong argument.
What's wrong with a club for just one sex? When I'm with my women's' group I want to concentrate on the discussion and having cute guys around changes the vibes.

I am looking forward to the day [not] when being one specific gender will be politically incorrect. Then we can make babies in test tubes and forget all this sex-mess.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1460697149|4019561 said:
Rockinruby|1460691231|4019541 said:
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., April 14 (UPI) Inclusion of women in Harvard's all-male social club would increase the risk of sexual assault ...

Hmm, that sounds familiar.
Where have I heard the, don't expect men to control their penises, argument before? :think:

Oh Yeah ... :whistle:

Yeah exactly. The "boys will be boys" defense. Umm no thanks. :nono:

Jimmianne said:
I think of it like the Boy Scouts. It's a boys' club. I Think they used the wrong argument.
What's wrong with a club for just one sex? When I'm with my women's' group I want to concentrate on the discussion and having cute guys around changes the vibes.

I am looking forward to the day [not] when being one specific gender will be politically incorrect. Then we can make babies in test tubes and forget all this sex-mess.

Another organization that is cultish and full of discrimination against those who are different. Just my POV.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why does everyone have to be included in everything all the time and in all ways? I don't get it. Why is it so offensive and frightening?

I understand it's pretty dickish to say what they said but in general, why can there not be some specific groups?

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Because when groups exclude some people, it's easier for those in the group to think of people outside of the group as "other." When you start labeling people like this, it encourages discrimination. The science backs this up, as does history.

Here's an example:http://www.simplypsychology.org/robbers-cave.html

The Stanford Prison Experiment is another famous study about a similar phenomenon. And of course we can go back through history showing how assigning people to various groups encourages discrimination and prejudice.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well...I'm not a male so I don't really feel the need to belong to a male club. I'll go start my own club of something if I want to be part of a club. There are all girls schools all boys schools all Catholic schools all black schools. Were I a Methodist I wouldn't so much be offended that I wasn't a member of the Catholic and Presbyterian churches. If I don't like guns I don't join a gun club. There's a club in school for record holders in sports...I Was not a part of that bc I don't play those sports. I don't know why we have this overwhelming need to be a part of all the things. Is the world really an all inclusive resort now?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't forget what Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't join any club that would accept me as a member." :lol:

He also said, "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ... well, I have others." :mrgreen:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BeekeeperBetty|1460766754|4019846 said:
Because when groups exclude some people, it's easier for those in the group to think of people outside of the group as "other." When you start labeling people like this, it encourages discrimination. The science backs this up, as does history.

Here's an example:http://www.simplypsychology.org/robbers-cave.html

The Stanford Prison Experiment is another famous study about a similar phenomenon. And of course we can go back through history showing how assigning people to various groups encourages discrimination and prejudice.

Completely agree with you Betty. While I don't have a problem with certain clubs where people share interests etc like the chess club, debate team things like that I do feel certain organizations i.e. men's clubs are not great because they do encourage discrimination. IMO.

Haha, here is an interesting link.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/01/men-rights-unruh-act-women-discrimination

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'm a westerner by birth so I've never been eligible for the Establishment, but I will point out that the real power in this country comes out of the Ivy League and specifically, clubs like the Porcellian. The fact that it does not admit women is simply a reflection of the fact that women in highly placed positions of power are rare and women in midlevel positions are still tokens and occasional.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results