shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Winston Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maddogcredit

Rough_Rock
I am new to this board. I have been searching for a diamond engagement ring. I saw one in Harry Winston that I liked. There is an obvious premium though (over $20K for a 1.50 oval E, VS1 with 2 side stones at .3 each and same quality). The question is: is a harry winston diamond worth the premium. I saw similar diamonds only for approx $10-12K on the net. I dont know about the cut, they are sending me the GIA report.

Other than name, is there anything "special" about a Harry Winston, Cartier...etc. What about the setting?

thanks.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The name is pretty special, and I am sure the quality control is pretty good too.
If you have any doubt about the cut you could buy an ideal-scope and check them out :).
We would love to hear the results!

HW will have a higher resell value than an internet stone.

Depends what value you put on the name.

maddogcredit

Rough_Rock
Interesting. I looked at the web site and may buy an ideal scope. But I have 2 questions: Does it work for oval stones? Does the stone have to be removed from the setting?

thanks.

scg

Rough_Rock
maddogcredit,
I'm sure she'll love what you give her...not because of the name on the box but because you gave it to her. There are beautiful rings at all different types of stores, so dont feel like you have to break the bank...
scg:))

charlesw4

Rough_Rock
If I may add to this, as an ex-Winston employee and member of the family...something you need to consider are these facts.

1) a D-FLawless diamond can have different values for the same size stone. You must look at the GIA reports and see the cut and depth percentages, refractive index, etc.

2) When I left Harry Winston, Inc., to start my own business, they hand made every single mounting. For example, in a tennis type necklace, each individual setting was created from platinum or 18kt gold wire and plate, then hand assembled.

Essentially, is a Rolls Royce worth more money than a Mercedes? If you want the comfort of knowing you bought the best, then the answer is yes. You do get what you pay for in this world.

In the world of jewelry, I beleive, there are now true bargains. It really is a comodity business. To lower the cost of an item you have four places to save.
1) Quality of stones
2) Value of metal
3) quality of labor
4) Profit margins.*

Don't believe for a minute that anyone is not making money. Even on the internet, there is a cost to placing that add, handling the charge cards and shipping and handling. Anyone that claims to not be making money, will not be in business long to help you with warranty issues.

Finally, if you decide to check out my website, www.charleswinston.com, please know that I went the route of CZ jewelry, using the manufacturing techniques I learned while working for my late, uncle Harry Winston. We can produce items similar to HW in diamonds and platinum, but we feel that appealing to a broad market is a better approach for our business model.

I hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Regards,

Charles J. Winston

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
Hi Charles :)
Does your CZ show H&A pattern?

S

charlesw4

Rough_Rock
Okay, I admit it...what is H&A Pattern?

My shows are on cable and DirectTV. In the USA we are on ShopNBC. In Europe and UK we are on QVC and in Canada we are about to be on The Shopping Channel.

~Charles~:wavey:

CJW-41a.jpg

Iiro

Shiny_Rock
www.pricescope.com/tutor_hna.asp

some sims show arrows butr hearts are a bit dark.

www.van-graff.com/ing/indexin.html

S

charlesw4

Rough_Rock
Oh, the 'Hearts and Arrows'...

No, our CZ's are brilliant cuts. The H&A are cut specifically for them. For the most part, we are using Signity brand CZ's when available. Up to 6.0 - 7.0mm they are machine cut.

Over that size, we go to Korea for the better hand cut stones.

CJW

maddogcredit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response Charles. Just an update, I got the HW ring and never looked back. I am very pleased with my decision.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sounds like its the same style of ring the Bachelor decided on in the latest season (oval center, 2 side stones) :) Though his was $34k...:-o I think his side stones might have been trillions though I can't remember.

Congrats on your ring!

GiGi

Rough_Rock
Hi Charles,

Do you somehow miss the "feel" of a real diamond when setting the stone in your jewlries? Other than business reasons, do you like some aspects of CZ better than you like diamonds?

Thanks,
GiGi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results