shape
carat
color
clarity

Hardness of color gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curlyq_hw

Rough_Rock
Could anyone help me find a chart that describes the strength/hardness of colored gemstones? There was a post in the forum a week or so ago about using emeralds in an engagement ring. The majority of the responses indicated that emeralds are not strong enough for normal, daily wear in a ring.

I want to get my fiancee a wedding ring with a surprise blue topaz on the inside of the ring band, similar to the one Knox Jewelers made for Kcourselle in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fis-18k-palladium-wedding-band-from-knoxjewelers-biz.58340/ Mr. Curly wants a blue topaz because that''s our birthstone (November babies) -- but now I''m thinking that I would like blue topaz incorporated into my engagement ring, somehow. Maybe a few scattered in the band, or perhaps even having a blue topaz center stone. These are just ideas at this point, because I am uncertain if blue topaz stones are delicate in the same way that emeralds are.

Sapphires, I know, are the next hardest stone next to diamonds. But how do the other colored gemstones stack up in terms of hardiness? Will wearing a blue topaz on a daily basis be okay, or will it chip/crack/scratch? I work in an office environment, and would be pretty careful with my ring -- taking it off during bathing, washing dishes, lifting heavy objects, etc.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
its not just the moh scale....its the structure of the stone itself. note: emerald is higher/harder on the moh scale but it certainly is fragile for everyday wear and tear due to its chemical structure.

my spess is only rated at about 7.25 or 7.5 max on the moh. and i don''t wear it 24/7 because of that.

not sure about topaz structure but i agree as a layperson that it certainly does seem to offer possiblities.

btw, engagement rings were made with aquamarine long before diamonds became the marketed stone of choice. note where that stone places on the moh scale.

movie zombie

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that blue topaz is not all that durable. My gem book says "because of it''s perfect cleavage, stones can easliy break, chip, or form straight cracks when dropped or knocked. Topaz requires special care when being set." (Gemstone Buying Guide by Renee Newman). In addition, blue topaz is generally irradiated and heated to get the color. It is very inexpensive. It might be okay for a surprise stone, but I wouldn''t want a lot of blue topaz in an e-ring, if it were me. Of course, if it gets damaged, it is inexpensive to replace, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results