shape
carat
color
clarity

Hard choice! Which to choose??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
Ok so I found these two diamonds, and while I''m just shopping at this point I hope to buy very soon. So again, I am interested in the professional''s input on this one.
1.gif

Choice A

Choice B

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Well.....I'm not a professional, so I don't know if you're interested in my input, but I prefer the G stone.

The plot is MUCH cleaner....all those big clouds right under the table on the F scare me...... and there will be no difference to your eye between the F and the G.

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
No, I was just joking about the "professionals." Anyone compared to me is a professional, that's all.

I appreciate your input very much! But what do you mean by the "plot"?

Thanks!

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
I would think that both stones are a great value. One a bit lower priced is attached.

Price here is $2,929.

Superbcerts .75 F SI2-$2,929

Call Barry and see if its totally eyeclean

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Choice B looks like the milky way. I'd go with A provided it's really as clean as it looks in the photo.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
On a seperate note I have to hand it to GOG for having a pic that does not attempt to flatter the stone with back or fore lighting. Normally in pic's like this I always am able to make out the Arrows Better.....I guess due to Lighting>?

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
The plot is the diagram on both certs showing where the inclusions are.

If you look at the cert on F stone, it's littered with inclusions......hence the "looks like the Milky Way" comment from someone else.

Good find by Spicoli on the F from Superbcert, but that inclusion is looks monstrous and it's right under the table.

I think the G is the best value for the money.

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Give Barry a call...I believe all his Suberbcerts are eyeclean unless otherwise stated....maybe save $400 in the process...he will tell ya straight up.

Just because some of the respondents at this forum are constantly pushing you (The consumer) in a certain direction...(if you hang around long enough you will quickly realize what direction they are pushing).....does not mean thats the Best deal....my experience has been half and half.....be careful to do your own homework and not get lazy and let someone else use their "formula" to solve your problem.

You will not get ripped off at any of the Pricescope reccomended stores of this I am fairly sure.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i have to admit...when faced with a regular ole H&A and an ACA...I am usually an ACA sucker.

that said, i really like the ACA better here!
1.gif
ha ha. both stones look great, but I don't like the look of the SI2 stone, those inclusions look like a bad case of chicken pox. in comparison, the ACA SI1 plot looks very clean and you can't see any of the inclusions in the picture on the WF site ( i have seen some of their SI's pictures show more inclusions)...so that baby must be amazingly eye clean.

also note the diameter of the two stones. the ACA is almost .10mm bigger even though the stones themselves are ctw very similar. I like bigger stones, esp when they are super ideal and have cleaner plots. i'm a size girl.

the bscope on the SI2 stone is really amazing...but with all the other factors and the G SI's #'s looking good....

2.gif
i would choose the G SI hands down in this scenario...

magna2

Shiny_Rock
They both appear to be exceptional stone and if not for the SI2 clarity, I would have recommended the GOG stone. However, not being able to see the actual stone and just going by what pictures were available, the SI2 stone's inclusions IMO would be too obvious. Not to say that it is not a good buy for someone - just wouldn't be my cup of tea.

rodent.gif

spicolicpa

Shiny_Rock
Let us know how your search ends?

wavey.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
A - the G/SI 1 A Cut Above
9.gif
. The F/SI 2 looks very busy to me for its clarity grade.

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help and input, I do appreciate it.

I'm definately leaning toward the A stone, but we'll see. I'm still mostly learning and shopping, and I was most interested in what everyone had to say about these two, because from the get-go I preferred the WF one but I was wondering if there were subtle things about it that I might've missed. The inclusions were obvious, but it was things like the light return of the GOG one that I don't know much about. The GOG site made it sound like it was worth overlooking the SI2 beacause of the other features of the diamond, but it seems that most ppl chose the WF as I did.

Thanks again! I'll be sure to post more as I get closer and closer to the final decision.
9.gif

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
Actually the fluorescence grade on the Choice C diamond is listed as "negligible."

I'm just wondering how much of an issue this (fluor) is generally. One diamond website had this to say about fluorescence:

"When exposed to UV light, many diamonds will give off a distinctive glowing blue coloration. Although fluorescence may be displayed in various colors, blue is the most common in diamonds. The fluorescence of a diamond is defined by its intensity as either None, Faint, Medium, Strong, or Very Strong. Although fluorescence is a characteristic that can be measured, it is seldom an issue when selecting a diamond."

Anyhow, just wanted to clarify--I at first thought the "N" meant none, but that's not the case.

Thanks again!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes you are correct...negligible is being used, but it really means 'almost none'. It always surprises me when people are concerned about fluor *though* it is a really nebulous definition term which always can lead to confusion..fluor makes NO DIFFERENCE at all in a stone unless it's med or strong. Really more the 'strong' fluor. Med or Strong helps when you are looking for say...an I or J colored stone..or even N colored. It will help make the stone appear whiter to your eye. You should probably shy away from Strong fluor when purchasing something like a D or E colored stone as it may make the stone look milky (adverse affect, no benefit). Med fluor is kind of debatable, some say it makes no difference, some say it could have adverse. But it will most likely benefit a more yellow stone.

Labs used to use 'none' (and I think GIA still does?), but people freak out so much about it esp when they get it appraised and the appraiser says 'faint' (which is common...happened to us) and SO many stones have very very faint fluor (e.g. negligible amounts) that the negligible term means almost none...but I still read it as NONE. Because unless it's really there...it's really not.
rolleyes.gif

In a nutshell, don't worry about fluor unless its strong and you're buying a D or E colored stone.
1.gif

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara! I wasn't trying to split hairs or make it seem like you didn't know what you were talking about. Just wanted to make sure that I hadn't been too vague or whatever.

I assumed that negligible meant...well, just that. But since I'm such a newbie I have to ask.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 10/29/2003 8:59:47 PM yoeddie wrote:

Thanks Mara! I wasn't trying to split hairs or make it seem like you didn't know what you were talking about.

----------------

That's okay...I normally don't really know what I am talking about....
1.gif
I just like hearing the sound of my own typing. Hee Hee.
rodent.gif

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
EDIT: Ok, see the actual pics below.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think they worked...try posting them by 'attach file'...you can only do one picture per post this way.
1.gif

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
Ok, hopefully this worked. I'll post others if it does.

9.gif

yoeddie1.jpg

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
another

yoeddie2.jpg

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
and another

yoeddie3.jpg

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
almost there...

yoeddie4.jpg

yoeddie

Rough_Rock
I think this one is my favorite
21.gif

yoeddie6.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh how pretty! That's a beauty! Nice IdealScope image. I too love the last picture
1.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
The stones offered by all these companies look great.
I would say the best way to select is for you to talk to the people in the companies you're interested in.
Once you discuss your considerations, you will likely start to feel more comfortable in one place or another.

WhiteFlash
GOG
SuperbCert
I'm sure the other companies mentioned in this thread are also good but these are companies that I am personally familiar with- you really can't go wrong if you choose from a PS reccomended company. Especially if you choose based on which company you wish to do business with. You're not going to become a "diamond expert" buying one diamond. Choose your dealer- trust your instincts- use the force luke!

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
It's truly a beautiful stone!!!! Looks great!
love.gif
love.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Nice going Yo.
1.gif

As for the appraisal, you can either choose to have it appraised unmounted, or have it appraised once it's mounted in the setting. If you get it appraised before it's mounted, it will have to be appraised again once it's set, for insurance purposes.

My advice would be to get it appraised once it's mounted. This is the route that we recently chose. We had the vendor (DCD) ship the completed ring to the appraiser (Rich Sherwood.) Rich then sent the ring back to us.

As for appraisers, I'd highly recommend Rich Sherwood, a contributor to this forum. His website is www.sarasotagemlab.com, and it will provide you with his rates.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results