shape
carat
color
clarity

Happy beading beginner

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Encouraged by you ladies--especially Cellentani--I tried my hand at beading.

Here's my first project, a $5 strand of (if I recall correctly) 5.5 mm white rice pearls:

bead1gl3.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I used the Japanese knotting technique.

bead1gl2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I also knotted these large banded agate beads, using the same technique. Oops, I did this before the white pearls, so this is really my first project! The final knot by the clasp is pretty messy, so I'll probably restring them at some point.

beadagategl1.jpg

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Those look great, glitterata!!
36.gif
That method is really working well for you! I''m curious to know, what thread are you using?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
But here's the one I'm really proud of.

It's a replica of my grandmother's favorite necklace. We have photos from the 1920s of her wearing the necklace this is based on, and I believe she wore it to her wedding. However, her necklace is made of glass imitation pearls, and they're losing their pearly coating. So I decided to make a replica for my mom and one for me (and if I have the stamina, one for my cousin).

Here's the replica. I'm really pleased with how it came out. I used lavender-ish pink freshwater pearls in various sizes as well as cut glass beads:

gmabeadgl4.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here are the two necklaces side by side. The tannish one is the old one. The main difference is the number of graduated pearls on the sides. Grandma''s necklace has five and my replica has only 4. I couldn''t find a fifth pearl of the right size.

gmabeadgl5.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Close-up of Grandma''s peeling beads:

gmabeadgl6.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 2:34:21 PM
Author: cellentani
Those look great, glitterata!!
36.gif
That method is really working well for you! I''m curious to know, what thread are you using?

Thanks, Cellentani!

I''m using silk, the kind that comes on cards with the needle already attached, various sizes. I used #2 for the little white rice pearls, something big like maybe #10 for the agates, and #0 (really fine) for the Grandma replica necklace. Maybe later on I''ll try making my own needles, but for now this seemed much easier.

The replica is not knotted. The pearls are tiny--2.5-3mm potato pearls, with a few slightly bigger ones graduating up to I think 6mm. I used double thread in the bulk of the necklace, then split into single strands where the zig-zag section starts, if you know what I mean, then went back to double for the rest of the necklace. Does that make sense?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2009 2:45:17 PM
Author: glitterata

Thanks, Cellentani!

I''m using silk, the kind that comes on cards with the needle already attached, various sizes. I used #2 for the little white rice pearls, something big like maybe #10 for the agates, and #0 (really fine) for the Grandma replica necklace. Maybe later on I''ll try making my own needles, but for now this seemed much easier.

The replica is not knotted. The pearls are tiny--2.5-3mm potato pearls, with a few slightly bigger ones graduating up to I think 6mm. I used double thread in the bulk of the necklace, then split into single strands where the zig-zag section starts, if you know what I mean, then went back to double for the rest of the necklace. Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense - I know exactly what you mean! I posted my commment before I saw your grandmother''s necklace, and you did a fantastic job of re-creating it! I especiallly like that it''s a family heirloom, and I''m sure it will be really special to you and your mom. So you''re using Griffin silk? I did try that, but it''s twisted and has more ridges, so I couldn''t pull the thread through my knot smoothly. I can tell the Japanese method would be much better!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
te:[/b] 10/15/2009 7:38:11 PM
Author: cellentani
It makes perfect sense - I know exactly what you mean! I posted my commment before I saw your grandmother's necklace, and you did a fantastic job of re-creating it! I especiallly like that it's a family heirloom, and I'm sure it will be really special to you and your mom. So you're using Griffin silk? I did try that, but it's twisted and has more ridges, so I couldn't pull the thread through my knot smoothly. I can tell the Japanese method would be much better!
[/quote]

Thank you! I wish Grandma were still around so I could make her a reproduction of her favorite necklace in real pearls. I bet she would have been tickled. But Mom is excited, anyway.

Yes, some of the thread on the cards was Griffin. I think there was another brand, too, but very similar. I wonder whether the thread was one of the reasons I had so much trouble with your knotting method? Well, the Japanese method worked great with this silk.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow, those knots look amazing! Great job!

Wow good job!! I looooove the re-creation of gma''s necklace-- you did an amazing job!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Yay for trying new things and not giving up!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Wow you did a wonderful job! I love those necklaces like your grandmother''s too!

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
aww! That is so sweet that you decided to make a replica of your grandmother''s beloved necklace.
12.gif

your knots look beautiful by the way.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, you guys! You''re so sweet!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
So what''s your next project? My beading''s at a standstill until some clasps I ordered arrive, so I''m hungry to see everyone else''s projects.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
First I have to make another copy of Grandma''s necklace. I''d like to make it in white this time. Then I have a bunch of very old broken necklaces I would like to restring. Then--I don''t know!

Where did you order your clasps from? Do you have a good beading supply source? I''ve been going to the bead district in midtown Manhattan, but I''d like to compare prices to online sources too.

Date: 10/16/2009 1:05:07 PM
First I have to make another copy of Grandma''s necklace. I''d like to make it in white this time. Then I have a bunch of very old broken necklaces I would like to restring. Then--I don''t know!

Where did you order your clasps from? Do you have a good beading supply source? I''ve been going to the bead district in midtown Manhattan, but I''d like to compare prices to online sources too.

It''ll look amazing in white!!

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/16/2009 1:05:07 PM

So the white one will be for your cousin or for you?
1.gif

I don''t have a good supplier for clasps yet, but I found a couple on Etsy. I just got them today, but I''m not sure if I''m going to use them. They''re both vintage-y costume clasps, and I like them because they''re a little different, but they''re both mystery metal. Maybe I''ll see if they can be rhodium plated...

If you just want basic clasps (anything from toggles to filigree box clasps, single or multi-strands), etsy has tons. Just search in the "supplies" category.

Where is the bead district in NYC?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the Etsy tip!

The findings district is right near (or maybe part of) the garment district. There's a stretch of 6th Avenue between 39th and 37th Sts. on the east side of the street that has lots of bead shops. I got my pearls at Genuine Ten Ten, which has nice quality natural stones and pearls (and nice salesgals), but it's a bit on the pricy side. (It's next door to a great ribbon shop, if you ever need ribbons for anything--I like to wear antique brooches around my neck and wrists on grosgrain ribbons as chokers & bracelets.)

The side streets around there also have lots of findings shops--bead shops, ribbon shops, shops where you can get artificial flowers and bridal tiaras and rhinestone trim and lace and tulle and that kind of thing. For some reason my husband wanted me to wear a navy blue veil for our wedding (which was at the courthouse, just the two of us, his brother, and my best friend; we wore street clothes--plus, of course, the navy blue veil), and naturally nobody makes navy blue wedding veils, so I wandered around the findings district and found some navy blue tulle, some satin ribbon to trim it with, and a comb to keep it in my hair.

A lot of the shops in the area sell wholesale only, but some do retail too.

I couldn't find any good quality white 2.5-3mm roundish/potato pearls today, so I just got another strand of the lavender/pink ones. I have enough of all the other lavender/pink necklace ingredients for several more Grandma necklaces, but I ran out of the 2.5-3mms. So the white version will have to wait until appropriate white pearls appear in my life.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
*Gasp* glitterata, I can''t believe you have all that great stuff nearby! I''m dying to go to the diamond district someday, and will have to add the findings area to my list! For now, I''ll have to wait until Intergem comes to DC again, in about 2 weeks. I''ve always walked right by the findings vendors without stopping, but now I''ll be eager to see if they have anything good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results