shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand Forged vs Casted Engagement - Advice!

Mailin

Rough_Rock
We have found the perfect center stone! It is a 2.17ct blue-green montana sapphire. It is a cushion cut. Measurements: 7.5mm by 7mm with a depth of 5.3mm. Now I am trying to figure out where to get the setting.

http://postimg.org/image/y5b7qol4j/

We have agreed that we both like 14k rose gold. The color sets off the color of the stone nicely. My significant other bought us right hand bands which we will probably end up getting resized for wedding bands some day.

For the setting, we are looking for something dainty. We definitely want a halo, definitely want diamonds paving the band, we don't like when the center stone sits high in the setting, we don't like when the side view has too much going on but we also don't like when the center stone looks like it was just placed on the band, and we like when the band splits into two (split shank) coming up to the halo. We are looking for simple and dainty. But we also want the stone to look like it belongs in the setting, that it looks like it was made to be there.

Based on what we have read and advice from friends who have purchased engagement rings we were leaning toward hand forged. I am just looking for input from all of you knowledgeable members. Do you feel that it should infact be hand forged or would another option be better? And if you have any suggestions on what vendors I could have this ring made in 14k rose gold that would be extremely helpful.

I have requested a quote for the VC ring below from VC in 14k rose gold. I received a quote, but with 18k rose gold leading me to believe he does not offer a 14k rose gold option.

I have attach a picture of the center stone in the link above. And a few rings that show what we are looking for. We like most of the Victor Canera ring, but we think the side view is a bit too much. We really like the daintiness of the other ring and the side view. We do prefer the eagle claw prongs in the VC over the rounded ones in the other ring.

detail-medium-1417387997-2010010_2.jpg

detail-medium-1417388008-2010010.jpg

timthumb.jpg

timthumb__1_.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did VC have an opinion about whether this setting should be hand forged or cast?

I have a hand forged 18K rose gold ring, and I love it. But my jeweler is the one who decided to hand forge it based on the design. I'm interested to see what the experts say.

It sounds like it's going to be gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor only does handforged, but obviously it can be done either way. I do not believe you could get better quality than Victor in a pave halo. Have you seen pictures of his rings in rose gold? Honestly, fine jewelry is usually 18k gold or platinum. 14k gold is only about half gold and the rest an alloy.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement?metal[]=rose-gold (if this link doesn't work, just go to engagement rings and click rose gold under metals)

If you want a cast version, several people here have had it done at Brilliantly Engaged. David Klass does a lot of rose gold and would probably be the least expensive option. You can find pictures of his work on Facebook under David Klass Jewelry.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Haven|1459397390|4013549 said:
Did VC have an opinion about whether this setting should be hand forged or cast?

I have a hand forged 18K rose gold ring, and I love it. But my jeweler is the one who decided to hand forge it based on the design. I'm interested to see what the experts say.

It sounds like it's going to be gorgeous!

--- I haven't spoke to anyone from VC since it doesn't seem he offers anything in 14k rose gold. The furthest I went VC related was just getting a quote. I hope it turns out well too :D

diamondseeker2006|1459437923|4013678 said:
Victor only does handforged, but obviously it can be done either way. I do not believe you could get better quality than Victor in a pave halo. Have you seen pictures of his rings in rose gold? Honestly, fine jewelry is usually 18k gold or platinum. 14k gold is only about half gold and the rest an alloy.

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement?metal[]=rose-gold (if this link doesn't work, just go to engagement rings and click rose gold under metals)

If you want a cast version, several people here have had it done at Brilliantly Engaged. David Klass does a lot of rose gold and would probably be the least expensive option. You can find pictures of his work on Facebook under David Klass Jewelry.

--- I have seen various photos and VC's work in person (from friends who have went to him), and it is fantastic. The only metals I prefer are platinum, and rose gold. I prefer the 14k rosegold for its darker more copper tone in comparison to 18k rose gold. I know it's not worth as much but I do think with the gem I purchased (images in link above) that the 14k rose gold would really help pop the colors of the gem itself.

I will look into brilliantly engaged and into david Klass, and see what they say :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results