shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand-Forged Platinum Mens Wedding Band?

CageyKG

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

So my fiance and I are getting married next June and I have started looking at wedding band ideas for myself. I came across this ring that I think would be perfect for me from Green Lake Jewelry. The only problem is, they apparently make these rings from wax molds, as opposed to actually hand-forging them. Does anyone know if there is really that big of differance between a hand-forged ring and a ring made from a mold? If so, any recommendations on who I can go to in order to get this made (in platinum)?

Thanks!

http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery_iframe.aspx?ImageID=50024#

6mm%20Hammer%20Band4.jpg 6mm%20Hammer%20Band3.jpg 6mm%20Hammer%20Band2.jpg 6mm%20Hammer%20Band1.jpg

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
Platinum is so expensive that they are cast so that there's nothing left over in the process. It could also be cut from a solid bar of platinum, but that would be extremely expensive. Forging a piece from a strip would leave a seam. The dents can be still made with a hammer after the casting process, and they can be cast without bubbles or weak points. We make similar rings in titanium for them all the time. Titanium is machined from solid bar rather than cast, but that has more to do with the fact that it is so difficult to cast because it has to be done in a vacuum.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
GLJ does lovely work. They actually do handforged in some items; if it's important to you, ask them. They *are* expensive, both their cast & their forged rings, however.

CageyKG

Rough_Rock
LGK|1312155422|2981273 said:
GLJ does lovely work. They actually do handforged in some items; if it's important to you, ask them. They *are* expensive, both their cast & their forged rings, however.

The price they quoted me was fairly reasonable, so I will probably go with them after I exhaust all my other options.

Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results