shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand engraved platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Was wondering peoples experiences with hand engraved platinum settings and bands.

Is it holding up well to every day wear?
Has any of the engraving worn down?
Any troubles getting it resized up or down?
If the engraving does wear down, can you get it touched-up or redone?
Anything different you would do if you could choose again?

Here is an example of the engraving i am talking about.

jaffe.jpg.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive been told you need it touched up every 5-7 years depending how rough you are on them and how muc hthey rub together. Im having a hard time convincing myself to get my band and setting engraved.

jesrush

Rough_Rock
NJC,

Engraving of that quality should hold up fine for a lifetime, probably more. The very bottom of the ring on the outside might get smoothed over a little, but otherwise should be fine.

I'm sure that if you had the right kind of money a hand engraver like the sort employed at a big jewelery store (ex: washingtondiamond.com) could 'touch up' the engraving but you probably would never need that work done! For an expert opinion, you could contact the engraver at washingtondiamond and ask him whether he's ever had to touch up platinum engraving.

-Jason

jesrush

Rough_Rock
aha, Dave raises a good point. The wedding band could wear against the e-ring if it's not flush or soldered against it. In that case, all bets are off about the durability of the engraving!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
My Grandma Rosie's engraved platinum wedding ring from 1921, which she wore alone on her finger, has a nice crisp pattern. My Grandma Dorothy's platinum wedding ring from 1929, which she wore for 60-some years with her engagement ring, has the pattern barely visible.

You could have the engraving touched up after a few decades if you're worried about it.

I've seen antique wedding sets where they're engraved on only one side of each ring; you might do somehting like that.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 9/13/2004 4:53:11 PM glitterata wrote:

My Grandma Rosie's engraved platinum wedding ring from 1921, which she wore alone on her finger, has a nice crisp pattern. My Grandma Dorothy's platinum wedding ring from 1929, which she wore for 60-some years with her engagement ring, has the pattern barely visible.

You could have the engraving touched up after a few decades if you're worried about it.

I've seen antique wedding sets where they're engraved on only one side of each ring; you might do somehting like that.----------------

Do you think a company like a jaffe or Scott Kay where you order the engraving anyways would be willing to leave one side plain on the setting and the band?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
its worth a shot to ask, whats the worst they can say?

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Will white gold hold the engraving better or worse than platinum?

JC

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure, but that is one BEAUTIFUL ring.
eek.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
I would like a matching engraved w-band to wear with it. I dont think i would be interested in having the e-ring and w-band solder together because i imaging there would be times i would like to just wear my band. I've also thought that i could just get an extra band, but i dont know...

I have written an email to the B&M where i tried the setting on about seeing if the setting manufactuer could not engrave one side of each.

The engraving is like $500 extra on the setting i liked and i REALLY like the engraving. But if it is something that will look crappy in a couple years and will need to be redone, i dont know if it is worth the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results