shape
carat
color
clarity

Halos without prongs (is this a bezeled look?)

P

PierreBear

Hello again PS friends,

When first trying to pick out my engagement ring, I've never been too fond of halos. However, the look is starting to grow on me but only for certain type of halos. I believe I like the "bezeled" (can I call it that?!) look where the stone is flushed with the halo and there are no prongs that are holding up the stone higher than the halo.

Is there a certain look that this is called?
Recommendation on who to go to on these settings without getting it custom made?
Are there any threads to look at pictures... I'm curious what it would look like in rose gold since not many people oxidize gold?

Lastly, side question... I wonder though if I like these pictures of these rings because of the proportions (center stone versus halo). All of these picture I believe the center stone is 2 to 3 cts. My ring size is fairly small and I think I would only go up to 2 cts at most but not sure if it would look good to make the halo smaller for a smaller center stone. Or else it might just look like metal on the outside instead of a true halo?

Thanks in advance ring friends! The guidance is invaluable as I think I would be driving my husband nuts if I asked these detailed questions.

halo_research.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are bezeled set stones with halos. The two on the right have airlines (an empty space that separates the bezel from the
halo). The two on the left have milgrain on the bezels (little bumps or indentations that usually make the ring look more antique).
I cant tell if the ring on the far right has milgrain or not...doesnt look like it to me.

Bezel settings usually have to be custom made because they have to specifically fit the stone.

Edit
Victor Canara can easily do this. Here is a sample...I would want the airline and the bezel thinner (ignore the shank area).
https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/vintage-halo-with-tri-wire-shank-and-cac

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll say that the settings are made specifically for the stone, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's custom.

For example, you can buy a Beverly k setting with a bezel. They will fit it to your stone, but you're not having a brand new design made.

And yes it's a bezel. I love bezels for fancy shapes, it really brings out the shape. Particularly for step cuts as it seems to make some of the steps pop, where brilliant cuts sometimes can get their performance dampened by a bezel.

Eta. I know you said you will probably go with a 2ct. But as asshers face up small, and you have a very healthy budget, I'd probably aim for 2.5

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She's expensive, but I'd probably get Erika Winters o set a stone in a halo for me. Her quality is impeccable, and most of all her design work is so unique yet totally wearable.

I found a couple of really lovely stones for you, but they're more like squat emerald cuts than they are asschers. Not sure if you're interested in that or not.

P

PierreBear

tyty333 - Thank you so much for explaining. Do you happen to know what the purpose of the airline is? I actually am not fond of the gap but thought that it just might have to be made that way for a fancy cut shape.

Niel - I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I usually am not a fan of step cuts and like the brilliance. However, the bezel with the step cuts with a halo seems to be an interesting combination that I really enjoying. You are amazing for helping me connect the dots!

Well, I might have been misleading on the budget when showing the previous pictures. Can this look be achieved with a budget of $20K possibly? I know I still need to understand how much % wise that it should go into the stone versus the setting.

Any pictures of emerald bezels with halos? Thanks for finding the stones. For an emerald, I've thought that it might be neat to set it east to west with just a milgrained bezel in rose gold.

Is Erika Winters the same designer as Grace on that website?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1459431883|4013646 said:
tyty333 - Thank you so much for explaining. Do you happen to know what the purpose of the airline is? I actually am not fond of the gap but thought that it just might have to be made that way for a fancy cut shape.

Niel - I think you hit the nail on the head for me. I usually am not a fan of step cuts and like the brilliance. However, the bezel with the step cuts with a halo seems to be an interesting combination that I really enjoying. You are amazing for helping me connect the dots!

Well, I might have been misleading on the budget when showing the previous pictures. Can this look be achieved with a budget of $20K possibly? I know I still need to understand how much % wise that it should go into the stone versus the setting.

Any pictures of emerald bezels with halos? Thanks for finding the stones. For an emerald, I've thought that it might be neat to set it east to west with just a milgrained bezel in rose gold.

Is Erika Winters the same designer as Grace on that website?

Yea this look is achievable with a 20k budget.

Let me lol again I feel like I saw some nice 2ct step cuts that would leave you a lot for your setting. Yes that's her. If you google her you'll find her website.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "airline" is just for looks. Some people like them, some dont. I like them depending on the setting.

Here is an emerald (bezeled) with a halo. Its got a pretty thick bezel (too thick IMO).

http://mdcdiamonds.com/engagementdetails.cfm?Stock=ES926ECWG&Country=US

This one looks nicer...

You can google east/west bezeled emeralds and see a variety of takes on that design.

Edit...sorry, didnt realize that image was going to come up so small!

bezeled_emerald_with_halo.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The look you posted is a halo setting with bezel set center. It's a gorgeous and timeless antique look, which many jewelers can custom make for your center stone. Budget will depend on many factors - settings like this can range from $2500 to $5k+, depending on details like whether you want a pave shank, hand forged versus cast, pre-made versus custom, which vendor or brand you choose, etc. Different vendors will be in different price points. The key is to find a jeweler who has successfully created the look you want for whatever budget you've set for the setting (once your center stone specs and budget are decided). A good jeweler will work with you to create a design within budget, and most will offer CAD renderings of your design, which is a great way to ensure that you have control over all of the nuances of the project. Good luck with your search - it's such a fun process and your ring will be gorgeous!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not like prongs, and have re-set my EC in a bezel setting with an air-line/gap halo in platinum.

The EC is 1.19ct, and my middle right hand finger is Size 10.5 US.

ecreset_d.jpg
ecreset_a.jpg
ecsemimounthandshot03.jpg
ecsemimount01.jpg

Hope the pics help.

DK :))

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1459456004|4013862 said:
Ahhh this is such a gorgeous ring. Every detail is just perfection.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
foxinsox|1459465757|4013933 said:
diamondseeker2006|1459456004|4013862 said:
Ahhh this is such a gorgeous ring. Every detail is just perfection.

Thank you so much! Custom is scary for me, but I will have to say that this ring exceeded my expectations!

P

PierreBear

DK168 - The transformation of your ring is amazing. Wow, what a change a reset can do. I really enjoy the new look.
Diamondseeker - Yes, your ring shows all the perfect detail that a delicate/antique inspired ring should show. Amazing :)

I think my mind has been changed on the asschers until I can make it to a b&m store soon to see it all in person. But I think I like the look of the halo on an emerald over an asscher possibly....until I see all the other beautiful rings and get confused again. : /

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PierreBear|1459514976|4014117 said:
DK168 - The transformation of your ring is amazing. Wow, what a change a reset can do. I really enjoy the new look.
Diamondseeker - Yes, your ring shows all the perfect detail that a delicate/antique inspired ring should show. Amazing :)

I think my mind has been changed on the asschers until I can make it to a b&m store soon to see it all in person. But I think I like the look of the halo on an emerald over an asscher possibly....until I see all the other beautiful rings and get confused again. : /

So you're thinking emerald cut, am o understanding right?

P

PierreBear

Yes, I believe so... but am trying to figure out the benefits of buying b&m versus online. It's a long term project but just hoping to do all the research now without driving myself too crazy. : )

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
OOH exciting! Love me an emerald cut in a bezel and with a halo! YUM. Keep us in the loop :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results