Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

Halo setting with prongs or as bezel????

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jean

Shiny_Rock
My question is, does it really make a huge difference in the way the stone looks in a halo setting?? What would be the benefits of a halo as a bezel vs with the prongs. Does it change the look of the ring? Does it still do the same for a stone that you want to lool bigger????? Asking all you experts out there!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is a personal thing. I like halos with bezels (milgrained as well) but that is just my taste. I think it gives it a cleaner look.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I think it depends on the shape. My marquise has claw prongs and chevrons inside of the halo. I prefer that look because the diamond can sit up higher than if there are prongs.

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
i think it''s taste... to me i like halos with prongs - halos just seem like old fashioned elegance, and bezel set looks more modern.

however, there are more modern looking halos that might work with a bezel setting.

i just like the more classic look .... (like this one from mark turnowski)

erd halo with prongs.jpg

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
My ering is a prong set halo...I like it that way.

I think it gives the diamond a bit more POP. I''ve attached a pic for you...

But I''ve seen some really pretty bezel set halo rings as well. And a prong setting makes an already high set ring, even higher.

prongseteringpic.jpg

Jean

Shiny_Rock
Wow, both rings are very pretty. I know it is a personal thing, but I was not sure if it changed the look of the actual stone.....

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
i believe a bezel setting can make a diamond look a tiny, tiny bit smaller, since it covers a little bit of the stone all the way around.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The answer will completely depend on the person! I prefer prongs. There was a version of my ring that bezeled the stone....I felt it made the stone look smaller.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
see, I think a bezel makes the stone larger.

gail013

Shiny_Rock
I think the bezels hide the stones, while the prong set accent them, by highlighting them.The prongs allow the center stone to sit up higher.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Bezels can be better for stones w/ thin girdles- hence why I am putting my OEC in one.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''ve recently come to the conclusion that at least for certain cuts, bezels can diminish the sparkle of diamonds.

I recently had my three stone ring reset. In the old mounting, the sidestones (sq. ECs) weren''t even bezel set, but were closed off on one side.

I think they are much brighter now that they are open, prong set...

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.