shape
carat
color
clarity

Half moon diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubyluvr

Rough_Rock
I am planning to do a ruby ring with an oval ruby and two small side diamonds. My original thought was to go with 2 Brillant Round diamonds on the sides. My jeweller suggests two custom cut half moon shaped (I assume brilliant cut) diamonds on the sides. My question is: do the diamonds lose most of their sparkle/brilliance if the shape is no longer round because the other halves of the diamonds are no longer there to reflect "light return"?

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I have sold some 1/2 moons in the past. There cut is unique and most everyone comments on there beauty.

But,

if your interested in fire and brilliance then stick to the round. No other shape can compare to a well cut round diamond in light return.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My wholesaling firm makes many oval ruby center rings. We sometimes use 1/2 moons, but I really like well cut trilliants, pear shapes or ovals as side stones. They are somewhat more brilliant than 1/2 moons or trapezoids. It is far more a matter of personal preference than anything else.

Look at your options and don't be too worried about which shape. It is up to you and the person who will wear it.

AmPm

Rough_Rock
Hi Rubluvr,
Half moons although you won't have the brilliance of a round brilliant cut can still look fantastic and complement a coloured stone nicely. I have seen a couple of combinations of Ceylon Sapphire and half moons which looked stunning the half moons were well cut. I'm sure a ruby would look just as good if not better since your a ruby lover!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, have you had the oportunity to see any halfmoons to
compare to rounds ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results