shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair washing?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I love the Dawn comment! It really does wash everything doesn’t it?

I was never one for expensive hair products (why pay for soap when you wash it right off? LOL) but I started coloring my gray hair and I use the Redken Blue shampoo and conditioner to keep it from getting brassy now. It definitely helps keep the orangey tones at bay, I have naturally light ash brown hair and golden/yellow/orangey tones in my hair are not what I prefer. I do buy it in giant bottles on Amazon so it isn’t too bad price wise!

I usually air dry my hair, it’s long and straight and doesn’t really hold curl so I don’t bother much with styling.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so jealous of all the people saying that they use cheap products and don't bother to style because it looks just fine without! I have my work cut out with my hair just to look clean and presentable, never mind anything else! The story of my life when younger was that I'd brush my hair before getting ready to leave the house, and a family member would say "Aren't you going to brush your hair?" And I'd be like "I JUST DID!" And once, a hairdresser said to me that some people have naturally good hair and that I wasn't one of them. And friends call me Simba without my products and copious styling.

Dawn and air-drying? PAH! Not fair! My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!

:lol:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if you can use Dawn as body wash also? And what about as laundry detergent? Am curious now.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I love the Dawn comment! It really does wash everything doesn’t it?

I was never one for expensive hair products (why pay for soap when you wash it right off? LOL) but I started coloring my gray hair and I use the Redken Blue shampoo and conditioner to keep it from getting brassy now. It definitely helps keep the orangey tones at bay, I have naturally light ash brown hair and golden/yellow/orangey tones in my hair are not what I prefer. I do buy it in giant bottles on Amazon so it isn’t too bad price wise!

I usually air dry my hair, it’s long and straight and doesn’t really hold curl so I don’t bother much with styling.

After my hair is bleached I do use a purple shampoo & conditioner (so purple it will stain your hands). I was using this every few days when I washed more but my colour results are now the same (I don’t wanted any golden tone in my hair). I just leave them on longer.
The bottle was expensive but worth it!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt read all the post but there is the theory that the more you wash, the more you have to wash. I guess once your natural oils
get washed away your scalp goes into overdrive to put more out??? I don't know if I buy into this but my scalp is not oily. I wash every
5 to 6 days. You might try some of those no-poo shampoos (sulfate-free).

Here is an inexpensive one...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have what I thought was very oily hair, and I’d wash every other day with a shampoo marketed for oily hair. A hairdresser suggested I switch to more gentle shampoos. When I did that, the oiliness definitely became less of an issue. I still mostly shampooed every other day, but it wasn’t as much a “necessity” as before. Now I get by with twice a week most of the time - but I’m also in my sixties, which I suspect has a lot to do with that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shampoo twice a week. On workout nights, my hair gets a water rinse.

Beagles

Shiny_Rock
Now I shampoo every 3-4 day; when I was younger, it was every other day or even daily in hot & humid weather (my straight fine hair would plaster itself against my head!). It can still look haphazard on the 4th day but if I'm not going out, no problem. It's amazing how much changes once you hit age 55+ !!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wash my hair every other day.
My hair is very thick and straight.
I use Pantene Smooth and Sleek. I tried some expensive products in the past, but it really didn't make a difference.
Now that my hair is longer, I even stopped blow drying it, and just let it air dry. Less damage that way.

i think the no heat is very important

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I didn't last very long LOL. Back to a very light cleanse daily, with conditioning on ends. I diffuse on day offs, so 1/3 of my month? Seems to work, so I'm sticking to it. Very interesting to hear others routines tho.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if you can use Dawn as body wash also? And what about as laundry detergent? Am curious now.

:lol: Yes, I suppose you could-if used very sparingly. A little dab would do ya on a poof. Sometimes, I do. Usually, I just use a Dove bar.
I wouldn't put it in a front loader as it creates too many suds.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't last very long LOL. Back to a very light cleanse daily, with conditioning on ends. I diffuse on day offs, so 1/3 of my month? Seems to work, so I'm sticking to it. Very interesting to hear others routines tho.

Begonia, I’m interested to know what a light cleanse is. Surely a wash is a wash is a wash?
ETA: And when do you do a heavy wash? All the dirt and oils need a good scrub at least once a week, I feel.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so jealous of all the people saying that they use cheap products and don't bother to style because it looks just fine without! I have my work cut out with my hair just to look clean and presentable, never mind anything else! The story of my life when younger was that I'd brush my hair before getting ready to leave the house, and a family member would say "Aren't you going to brush your hair?" And I'd be like "I JUST DID!" And once, a hairdresser said to me that some people have naturally good hair and that I wasn't one of them. And friends call me Simba without my products and copious styling.

Dawn and air-drying? PAH! Not fair! My wallet's too small for my fifties, and my diamond shoes are too tight!

:lol:

sometimes you gotta wonder where people keep their manners :angryfire:
honestly what a cow - i hope you never went back

my hair is very fine and flyaway
hairdresers always said cut it short to thicken it up
once i started growing it long it is so much eaiser to manage

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

i would think it would be ok as laundry detergent
for handwashing in a pinch
but i thinki t would make too many bubbles in the machine

when i briefly worked in a fabric store we recomended washing silk in hair shampoo as the emzymes in normal laundry detergent are harmful to the silk proteins

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Begonia, I’m interested to know what a light cleanse is. Surely a wash is a wash is a wash?
ETA: And when do you do a heavy wash? All the dirt and oils need a good scrub at least once a week, I feel.

I do the perimeter of my head where it tends to be oilier: over the ears, bangs, nape, and I don't rub like h*ll either. Then when I work out, or have a lot of product, I'll do a more thorough job. Also when I clarify, I'll do a thorough job. The scalp and hair is getting soaked every day.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
@Jambalaya I do rub a bit of the blue dawn on clothes that have grease or oil stains and it takes them right off (I'm forever spilling food on my shirts).

As to my hair, i used to have beautiful thick shiny hair. I would wash it everyday, because I love the feeling. And no need to ever style since it was super straight and shiny.

Now sadly, after chemo only 1/3 of it grew back, but shiny smooth hair is mixed with odd coarse hair. Some sorta almost curl but a lot are about 4 inches long, straight and sticks straight out. So now I wash over every 2 or 3 days and tie it in a bun. With baby hair sticking out everywhere. Such is life now. Oh and now it's greying. Not salt and pepper or streaks but in patches so that in certain lighting some spots look bald.

I like most shampoo, oddly enough none seems to make much of a difference so I use the 2 in 1 head and shoulders.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
@Jambalaya I do rub a bit of the blue dawn on clothes that have grease or oil stains and it takes them right off (I'm forever spilling food on my shirts).

As to my hair, i used to have beautiful thick shiny hair. I would wash it everyday, because I love the feeling. And no need to ever style since it was super straight and shiny.

Now sadly, after chemo only 1/3 of it grew back, but shiny smooth hair is mixed with odd coarse hair. Some sorta almost curl but a lot are about 4 inches long, straight and sticks straight out. So now I wash over every 2 or 3 days and tie it in a bun. With baby hair sticking out everywhere. Such is life now. Oh and now it's greying. Not salt and pepper or streaks but in patches so that in certain lighting some spots look bald.

I like most shampoo, oddly enough none seems to make much of a difference so I use the 2 in 1 head and shoulders.

You're a survivor @GreenPapaya!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to do a lot to my hair, but these days, its once a week. yes thats right, once.a.week. in winter I can stretch to 2 weeks but I can get a little itchy before then. However, I do rinse my scalp after workouts (no soap though)

If I use a lot of product like holding sprays (which is rare these days), I will wash it out. Its the only time I break the 1 week rule.

My hair can take nearly 2 days to dry (I do not blow dry). Wash day is ...lol yeah.

Wash day consists of Kendra Clarifying Shampoo. Then a wash with Silicon Mix. I DC once a week. Yes every week. I walk around with it on an hour, 2 hours? then rinse.

After a cold rinse, I seal my hair with ORS Olive oil creme. I use...a lot... Then I twist my hair up and leave it alone...lol

I have kinky curly hair if that helps.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results