shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair washing?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Not a very deep topic, but I'm wondering about what others do?? I've been washing daily, but lightly since my beginnings. New hair stylist is saying no no no. I've got oily skin and a more moderately to lightly oily scalp. I've decided to try every 2nd day, am on day 2, and I have a slightly itchy scalp. I tried this once before and after weeks, the itchiness didn't settle. Thoughts? Are there really pros to not daily washing, bc what I'm reading is that hair stylists and advisers say wash 2 to 3/week whereas health care says more often. I'm confused.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In winter I wash it 2-3x/week, in summer daily.

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I do every other day, or every 2 days. I have been on the search for a natural shampoo bar but haven’t had any luck finding anything that doesn’t leave my hair tacky.

mom2dolls

Shiny_Rock
I used to wash daily, now I wash twice a week. I started using olaplex a few months ago and love it. Huge difference in my hair and being able to go several days without washing.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hair and skin are eternally dry, so I try to wash as little as possible lol. In the winter (and wfh) I can go a week without washing, but I generally stick to twice a week, so every 3-4 days. Curly hair also needs less washing I find so that is perhaps a benefit.

Do you colour your hair or have issues with dryness? If not, I would stick to what youre comfortable with. I hate washing my hair because I hate DRYING it, but unless you are experiencing issues with daily washing, I say don't fix what aint broken.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every day when I have a shower.

DK :))

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I usually wash mine every day. I can skip a day here or there in the winter if I’m not exercising that day. I have fine, straight hair and it just looks gross if I don’t wash it daily especially if I’ve been sweating.

if it’s always worked for you why change?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you try infrequent washing, you will be able to see what your natural oiliness is. The more you wash, the more oil you produce...HOWEVER, everyone has a set "oil point." The only way to be sure your current oiliness isn't due to overwashing is to scale back the frequency and see what happens. Try going to every third day and see if your scalp adjusts or not. I'd give it at least a couple of weeks with that, a month if you can. You might genuinely need to wash your hair daily/every other day, or your current oil level might be due to current frequent washing. The only way to know is to give your scalp a chance to re-set.

In other words, all the buzz about only needing to wash your hair once a week or once every two weeks or never, if you'd only step away from the shampoo, aren't true. You just have to find what YOUR natural oil-point is.

It's also worth noting that doctors say that absolute maximum you should ever go without washing your hair is two weeks, fyi. I don't understand people who say they gave up shampoo and now they never wash their hair. Your scalp gets dirty just like your face, except more due to its sebaceous glands, and it needs washing!

But most people do wash their hair too much, and it's not very common to need to wash it daily.

Something you can do is use a cleansing cream instead of a shampoo. You should still use shampoo every third or fourth wash, but you can switch off with a cleansing cream. The nicest one I've found is DevaCurl No-poo Decadence Zero Lather Cleanser for Ultra-Rich Moisture. But there are other hair cleansing creams out there. They will help train your hair to get used to not being stripped with shampoo and will help you find your oil-point.

Also, I've found my natural hair oils are the best conditioner I've ever found. I let my hair get a little oily and I keep it that was for a couple of days, and I brush all that good oil right down the ends. My hair is SO much better since I stopped washing it every other day. I wash is every third or fourth day, although it's quite oily by the fourth day. If it's the wrong time of the month, I do have to wash it on the second day, but I've found my natural oil point is 3-4 days.

I use a Mason Pearson Sensitive brush to drag those oils down my hair shaft. Expensive, but worth it. No other brush has given my hair such polish.

Good luck! Sorry for the novel, but I do love to talk about hair!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t go more than every other day.

But I’ll wash every day if necessary. I work out hard and sweat so my hair gets wet. So yeah I like to wash it when that happens.

Winter generally every other day. Summer usually daily. But it depends.

I use sulfate free etc shampoo and conditioner. Very mild. And I air dry my hair.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
ive used a shower cap for years (very unsexy)

if im going to work every other day but if i can stand it if i wait till every 3rd day it is soooooo soft !
i have thin colour treated hair and if i washed it every day it would fall out !

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Every day. My scalp feels oily if I skip a day.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wash my hair every 2-3 days.

I use this Acure Lemongrass shampoo (and matching conditioner) most of the time,
https://www.amazon.com/ACURE-Curiously-Clarifying-Shampoo-Performance/dp/B082YFN2ZK

Once a week or twice a month I'll use purple shampoo, right now I'm using Drybar Blonde Ale Brightening Shampoo which I really like, but it seems like it is out of stock most places (Drybar, Sephora, Amazon).

OP, if your hair and scalp feel good (not dry, not itchy) with your light-washing every day, personally I'd stick with that ... you know you best ... new hairstylist may have solid suggestions and I like that you tried it out, but it really is okay to wash your hair every day if you are careful not to overwash and to adequately condition.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
OP, if your hair and scalp feel good (not dry, not itchy) with your light-washing every day, personally I'd stick with that ... you know you best ... new hairstylist may have solid suggestions and I like that you tried it out, but it really is okay to wash your hair every day if you are careful not to overwash and to adequately condition.

+1

If your scalp is happy, that's a great indicator that no drastic changes are needed. Maybe a leave in conditioner on the ends if they seem a bit dry but otherwise, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

eapj

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wash my hair once a week. I have course thick hair and a lot of it. It’s not color treated but very dry and wavy. When people say my hair looks nice, it’s usually on day 4-7 after I’ve washed and dried it!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I wash my hair every 2-3 days.

I use this Acure Lemongrass shampoo (and matching conditioner) most of the time,
https://www.amazon.com/ACURE-Curiously-Clarifying-Shampoo-Performance/dp/B082YFN2ZK

Once a week or twice a month I'll use purple shampoo, right now I'm using Drybar Blonde Ale Brightening Shampoo which I really like, but it seems like it is out of stock most places (Drybar, Sephora, Amazon).

I agree. If it ain't broke...don't fix it LOL.
My hair looks so freaking goofy on the 2nd day too LOL. I get frizz from having wavy hair.
She sold me a bottle of dry shampoo to fix the bangs on the second day. Honestly, this no washing seems like more work than a gentle once over every day.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
I “feel” cleaner when I wash it everyday, especially after workouts. But, on the days I skip, I use dry shampoo. It has the added benefit of adding volume to the hair. It works well for me. Do what works for you!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You'll get one million different answers!

Toooooooooo lazy to wash my hair everyday--and the PPE totally makes a cats breakfast out of make up and hair so why bother!!!!

cheers--Sharon

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I used to wash my hair everyday, (due to going to 5-6 days a week). Nowadays, I do NOT work out everyday, and still work from home....I have cut down to washing my hair every other day. On the days my hair feels greasy, I just put it up in a bun!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to wash my hair every day, then cut back to every other day, then to 3 days. After the last few months when life has been quite stressful, I’ve experienced some thinning, so now I only wash it on the 4th day. I’m using Renpure biotin & collagen shampoo and conditioner, doesn’t contain any nasties.

I got the big bottle at HEB on a 3 for 2 offer, I think it was about $16 in total.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have thick, wavy, colored hair and it can get dry. And it doesn't even begin to feel oily until about day 4 so I wash it about every 4 or 5 days. I use shampoos without sulfates and a conditioner.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll tell you a secrete
if i go to the salon they always say what good condition my hair is in.....

......and then they ask what i use ?

i use supermarket shampoo and conditioner
so now all of a sudden they find fault .....

now as soon as the hairdresser hears that and they finish tut tuting they try and sell me some expensive product
its a crock

i use alternating brands so i have at least two bottles of each going at once
so no build up

find what works for you and who cares what does or doesnt work for the rest of us

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I wash my hair every other day or every third day using a scalp massager.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Every 3-4 days and I use, wait for it, Dawn.
By day 4, I'm a greaser.
My hair is fine, very slightly waved and I have a lot of it.
I used to spend real money on haircare/upkeep, long ago.
Yeah. Plain old Dawn. I only massage my scalp and let the soap run through the rest while rinsing.
No conditioner, but a few sprays of Mane and Tail detangler if I think I need it. I have longish hair now(mid back usually) and I no longer dye it. If they can use it to degrease a duckling, then it's okay for your head.
I used to coconut oil my entire head and let it sit for eight hrs like twice a year. I probably need to do that again at some point.
Every time I take the kids for hair cuts/fancy dying for DD I always get complements on how pretty/shiny it is and shock when I tell them what little I do.
Hair care is a racket, and most of it's bunk. But, it makes you feel fancy so I guess that's something.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
When I wore my hair straightened - every day or every second day - it looked greasy.

Now I’ve finally come to my senses & I’m wearing my natural wave I could go 4/5 days to a week. It never looks greasy & feels so soft.

I do use curly hair approved shampoo & I put a conditioner in it daily in the show so I can get a comb through it. Wavy & curly hair needs water & conditioner. I use a clarifying shampoo every few weeks.

I am finally loving my hair after blow drying it straight for 30++ years & it’s never been healthier and I do bleach it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha, I have to chime in here to reply to those who say expensive haircare is a scam. I did laugh when I saw Dawn, though, I have to admit! I want to say that I think it depends on hair type. I have very difficult hair and it takes a LOT of coaxing to make it NOT look as if I've been dragged through a hedge backward. I look as if I've stuck m my finger in a socket without some very good products - and even then, most of them don't work as well as the specific ones I've mentioned upthread. For me, the expensive products really do make a big difference. I cannot even imagine what would happen if I used Dawn. I would not be able to get a comb through it.

Actually, come to think of it, I HAVE used Dawn. It was part of a process to wash out some dye, used in conjunction with a color remover, and I remember that you had to use the blue Dawn. Apparently, it's what vets' use to wash dogs' coats! So if you're going to use dish soap on your hair, Dawn's probably the best!

I've read reviews of Mane 'Tail, and people mostly seem to say that it left their hair a matted mess. Honestly, if you can use MT and Dawn on your hair and it looks good, you probably just have really fab hair, like some people just have really fab skin.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wash 1-2x a week. I used to think I had oily hair but tried the no shampoo method and it was so much better. Now I do use shampoo but like I said about once a week. If it was itchy I just rinsed with apple cider vinegar diluted in water. I condition almost every day and rinse.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Every 3-4 days and I use, wait for it, Dawn.
By day 4, I'm a greaser.
My hair is fine, very slightly waved and I have a lot of it.
I used to spend real money on haircare/upkeep, long ago.
Yeah. Plain old Dawn. I only massage my scalp and let the soap run through the rest while rinsing.
No conditioner, but a few sprays of Mane and Tail detangler if I think I need it. I have longish hair now(mid back usually) and I no longer dye it. If they can use it to degrease a duckling, then it's okay for your head.
I used to coconut oil my entire head and let it sit for eight hrs like twice a year. I probably need to do that again at some point.
Every time I take the kids for hair cuts/fancy dying for DD I always get complements on how pretty/shiny it is and shock when I tell them what little I do.
Hair care is a racket, and most of it's bunk. But, it makes you feel fancy so I guess that's something.
=)2
many years ago i useda bar of norsa soap because im a spruce, pine and birch sorta girl, ;)2
but it went off the market here:(2
i may have also used pink lifeboy but thats gone too

winetime12

Shiny_Rock
I wash every 7-9 days. I had to "train" this routine. I use dry shampoo after day 5 or 6. I don't work out aggressively anymore, otherwise I'd have to wash more often. I have pretty dry hair though. I use Pureology hydrate shampoo and conditioner (colour treated dry hair) and every other week I'll use a hair mask instead of conditioner.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wash my hair every other day.
My hair is very thick and straight.
I use Pantene Smooth and Sleek. I tried some expensive products in the past, but it really didn't make a difference.
Now that my hair is longer, I even stopped blow drying it, and just let it air dry. Less damage that way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results