shape
carat
color
clarity

hair trial: my favorite choice is FI''s least favorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi ladies,
I had a hair trial with a great stylist last Monday. She did 5 different quick styles. My request: a loose, romantic, casual bun because FI likes when I have my hair up with bangs swept over my face. Stylist tried 4 different heights. Inspiration photos first.

bunwithultrasuedegardenia.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock

highbun.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
FI liked these inspiration ideas. But maybe I went overboard with how loose and casual I wanted?

loosemidbun1.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
first, FI''s favorite. A high bun.

CJhighback1.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I forgot. That''s not the flower I''ll be using. I want something white/ivory/pink and floaty. Like this:

CJrose_flowersinthecity.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t find the side shots of those. So here''s option 2: a small low bun.

CJlowBack2.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
small low bun side

CJlowSide2.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry some of these photos are hard to see because of the lighting. Option 3: mid, large bun.

CJmidback3B.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
side view of the mid, large bun. this is the stylists'' favorite on me, and one of my bridesmaids agrees.

CJmidSide3.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
option 4: a low, low bun

CJlowlowBack4.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
side view of the low low bun

CJlowlowSide4.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
oh, we would trim the side pieces because my layers are all out of whack. The loose tendrils, if I keep them, will be shorter and cuter.

option 5: low, large bun

CJlowBack6.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
side view of low, large bun

CJlowSide5.jpg

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
so my favorite is the messiest one! option 5. FI says it''s too messy. He thinks it looks like I just woke up and pushed my hair into a knot. But it''s the most romantic, carefree look of the 5 options - and I love it!

Stylist thinks we can figure out a compromise between the two. Am I crazy for wanting such a messy hairdo? Sometimes I think, hm...is it going to be annoying? Am I going to lose the look after two hours? I think the neater buns are pretty, but too...formal for me. And actually my everyday hair is a neat, smooth bun so I don''t want to look like I do everyday.

I also tried one stylist who gave me neater styles, and the buns were so ornate and pretty...but just not me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know ... I kinda think the high one looks "cool messy" too. If you want the low big #5 you could always tell him "it fell"
31.gif
11.gif

But, seriously, can't it be a surprise? Does he have to know *all* the details? Are you consulting him on shade of lipgloss, the arch of your eyebrows etc....? You already took his fave GENERAL style (bun with swept bangs) into consideration ... how you interpret it should IMHO be all YOU.

ETA: I think "SUPER messy" only works with highlights ... so you can see the outline of the strands of hair clearly. When hair is mostly one color -- messy veers toward MESS. Just my opinion.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, all of your pictures look the same to me except for the height of the bun. But then, I''m the kind of girl that uses a blow dryer twice a year at most with my make up stuff stored in my shelf for 5 years, so what do I know.
3.gif

Your FI probably said that he doesn''t like it because as you said, that''s not how you look like everyday. He''s just not used to seeing you like this. On the day of you two will have other things to think about that he''ll probably forget about disliking your hairstyle. So just go with what you like!
1.gif

Sha

Ideal_Rock
I think this hairstyle is very sexy and romantic. My favourite is the small low bun - it looks so pretty from the side especially. I don't like #5 - the large low bun - because it seems to make your neck disappear, IMO.

It would be great to see a side photo of the high bun - that one looks nice too.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 6:58:19 PM
Author: decodelighted
You know ... I kinda think the high one looks ''cool messy'' too. If you want the low big #5 you could always tell him ''it fell''
31.gif
11.gif

But, seriously, can''t it be a surprise? Does he have to know *all* the details? Are you consulting him on shade of lipgloss, the arch of your eyebrows etc....? You already took his fave GENERAL style (bun with swept bangs) into consideration ... how you interpret it should IMHO be all YOU.
32.gif
Hmmmm.
5.gif
Good point Deco. Duh. Slaps forehead. What have I become?

ETA: I think ''SUPER messy'' only works with highlights ... so you can see the outline of the strands of hair clearly. When hair is mostly one color -- messy veers toward MESS. Just my opinion.
You know, I thought that too. Maybe it doesn''t look as cool on me because my hair isn''t highlighted, and it''s not going to be.
Ok ok. So even if the FI''s opinion were out of the picture...what do you ladies think of the messy one? Impractical? Not good for pictures?

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks choro. Yeah I''m not very experienced with hair or makeup either.

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 7:14:32 PM
Author: Sha
I think this hairstyle is very sexy and romantic. My favourite is the small low bun - it looks so pretty from the side especially. I don''t like #5 - the large low bun - because it seems to make your neck disappear, IMO.

It would be great to see a side photo of the high bun - that one looks nice too.
That is something I didn''t consider. Thanks Sha.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the large low bun. I''m thinking your stylist may be able to neaten it up quite a bit by picking up the side pieces a bit more and integrating those into the bun and making the bun a bit neater, but still large. I think it is really, really pretty and romantic.

What kind of flowers are you having in your bouquet? Maybe there are some flowers that you can have your stylist weave into your bun to provide the same contrast that highlights would if you had them.

I''ll see if I can find a picture somewhere of what I''m thinking . . . . You''re not wearing a veil, right?

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Here is brutal honesty:
Loose curls and dangling tendrils of hair look romantic, the one you like looks like you got your hair done the night before and slept on it. Truely, look at your inspiration pictures, none are even remotely that messy.
How about something more like these?
http://www.brides.com/beauty/hairstyles/gallery/realwedding/detail/142066?f=1541%3a1985&offset=16

http://www.brides.com/beauty/hairstyles/gallery/editorspick/detail/125485?f=1541%3a1543&offset=16

http://weddings.theknot.com/ODB/themes/realweddings/detailview.aspx?id=20027&type=3%2c11&wedding_details=Hair&pageIndex=3

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Your hair looks lovely. Mid Large gets my vote. Time, dancing, hugging everyone, cavorting, celebrating, more hugging. At the end of the party it will be loose and messy even if you started out Audrey Hepburn pulled back and neat as a pin. I just wonder if starting at messy...where is it going to go from there?

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
What beautiful hair you have! I personally don''t think you can go wrong with any of them. They all look great!

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Your FI''s favorite is my favorite too, but I think they all need to be neatened up a bit. Maybe if the loose pieces were actually curled a bit it would help the look go from messy messy to intentionally messy.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first one, the same one that your FF likes. It makes your neck look really long.

choro72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2008 7:15:02 PM
Author: CrownJewel
Ok ok. So even if the FI''s opinion were out of the picture...what do you ladies think of the messy one? Impractical? Not good for pictures?
As far was messy hairstyles go, I heard that it''s actually great for weddings. At the end of the day after dancing the night away, a few strands getting lose here and there only makes it look better.

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with your stylist and bridesmaid, I like #3.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I say if you like the messy look then go for it. It does look..well messy..but it also is pretty. I am a neat-freak when it comes to my hair (it has to be perfectly in place) so messy hair would drive me insane, but that's because I am weird. If it doesn't bother you, then go for it because it's beautiful on you! Hehe who cares what FI thinks.
31.gif
27.gif

ETA: Overall though, my fave was option 2.

cara

Ideal_Rock
I like the mid, large bun #3 (stylist''s fav.) Even this stylist''s mid height isn''t too high and it has a nice mix of drama and loose casualness.

Though I do think the mess in general needs to be neatened up to look more like a constructed, purposeful mess that you paid lots of money for rather than a roll-out-of-bed freebie mess. These are really subtle distinctions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results