shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Ladies -

OK, so I may sound a little clueless when it comes to all this, but I would like to schedule my hair trial soon and was thinking I may need hair extensions. My hair is long, but somewhat thin and I think that hair extensions might give me the "umph" I''m looking for. Do most salons provide the extensions or do I have to buy them myself beforehand?

btrflygrl23

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Some places have them and then for other you have to provide them but I do live in Canada so maybe check for the States I think you are most likely there right?

If you do get them don''t keep them in too long I have heard that they can really do a number on your own hair in terms of making it recede and damaging it in general but you probably only need them for the big day so that should be fine.

congrats btw on your upcoming wedding
21.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
From my experience (I was just discussing extensions with my stylist), unless you''re doing the somewhat permanent kind, you buy them yourself at some place like Sally Beauty Supply. The only kind my salon sells is the kind that costs about $3k and takes some serious care. I''m actually not getting my hair done there since we''re getting married in our hometown and not where we live now and I don''t have a stylist for the day of yet. Perhaps my experience is just particular of this one salon. I would suggest asking when you call to schedule the appointment.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I had extensions for my wedding but they were provided by the person who did my hair on the day of. She used them at my trial and they looked great so we decided to use them for the acutal wedding. They were temporary so they just clipped into my hair somehow--I'm still trying to figure out how she did it because I have them at home and would love to use them again! I actually slept in them and took them out the next day. I loved the look and I assume the cost was included in what I paid my hair person. Just ask how it works when you call for your trial.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Just a little self indulgent photo of my wedding hair from the back. You'd never know I had extensions!! They just made my hair a bit fuller and longer...

Digital_images_026.jpg

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Curlygirl, your hair looks great! You can''t tell that it''s extensions at all!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

I called my stylist to find out some of the details. I would like my extensions just for the night since we are going to Maui for our honeymoon and I don''t think the ocean water would be a good thing for my hair.

Curlygirl, your hair extensions look fabulous!! Very pretty!
5.gif

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to share something that several men have mentioned to me over the years..which is that it freaked them out when they saw their bride walking down the aisle looking like someone they didn''t recognize due to an "unusual" hair style and/or alot of makeup. I say this mainly because Mr. Surfgirl asked me to please just "look like you when we get married" and I have to agree. If extensions just make your hair look fuller but still like you, then why not? But if it''s to make your hair look completely different than you really look, maybe consider if you want to look completely different in all your wedding photos. I know I want to look like "me" in my pictures! Just something to ponder...

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 3:47:22 PM
Author: surfgirl
I'm going to share something that several men have mentioned to me over the years..which is that it freaked them out when they saw their bride walking down the aisle looking like someone they didn't recognize due to an 'unusual' hair style and/or alot of makeup. I say this mainly because Mr. Surfgirl asked me to please just 'look like you when we get married' and I have to agree. If extensions just make your hair look fuller but still like you, then why not? But if it's to make your hair look completely different than you really look, maybe consider if you want to look completely different in all your wedding photos. I know I want to look like 'me' in my pictures! Just something to ponder...
Surfgirl - that's is great advice since I know my FI is the same way. I was planning on just using the extensions to help my hair's up-do. I wasn't planning to wear my hair down, but instead I need to have the extensions in order to form the style I want when it's back - with my hair being thin, there's not much to work with.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
Can one use extensions to get a bigger updo? I probably want a low bun or chignon. I also have long but thin hair, so my normal bun is sort of smallish.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 4:02:02 PM
Author: basil
Can one use extensions to get a bigger updo? I probably want a low bun or chignon. I also have long but thin hair, so my normal bun is sort of smallish.
I''m going to ask my stylist - I want a chignon or low bun too (maybe something similar to Jcrow''s hair - it looked amazing!). From what we chatted about today, it seems possible, but I won''t know for sure until my consultation in May.

NYCsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
my cousin got extentions for her updo. she bought them and they put them in o make her updoo-y thing fuller.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/10/2007 4:02:02 PM
Author: basil

You can use "fake hair" to fill out/thicken an updo/chignon. I didn''t, but I have 2 friends who did this- you can just got and buy a fake pony tail close to your color and your stylist should be able to dismantle it and put in some extra hair as filler if you will, and cover this w/ your real hair so all you see is real hair.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Curlygirl...when I saw this thread I immediately thought of you! I remember from another thread that you said you had extensions and I seriously LOVE the way they came out. I hope you don''t think this is weird...but I actually saved one of the photos to show to a stylist when the time comes. In my opinion, it''s one of the prettiest wedding styles I''ve ever seen!

ponderer

Shiny_Rock
Talk to your chosen stylist and see what they recommend. If you dont have one yet, I would suggest stopping by a reputable wig shop and asking what is available. I initially was thinking about doing temp extensions, but found that a different kind of hair piece called a pull through would work best for what I was trying to achieve for my up do.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
1500 to 3000 dollars. wow. as a "long hair" this thread makes me chuckle.

Hint: you can grow your own for free! it is too late for the original poster, but not for others.

simple advice.
treat hair like antique lace. no blow dryers, no irons, no heat. Air dry.
no dyes or chemical treatments.
secure it so it doesn't tangle.
leave it alone and let it grow. trim damage with a sharp pair of hair scissors. hemline trim every 3-6 months.
quit with the shamppo if you are brave. suave natural conditioners and cheap white rain (the runny ones) work very well to cleanse the scalp and get rid of the greasies.
no silicones. no pantene, no aussie, no most of the major brands. if there is an ingredient that ends in "-one" don't use it.
about bra strap length start using hair sticks to prevent damage
no elastic bands, rubber bands, barrettes.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 11:34:41 AM
Author: ladykemma
1500 to 3000 dollars. wow. as a ''long hair'' this thread makes me chuckle.

Hint: you can grow your own for free! it is too late for the original poster, but not for others.

simple advice.
secure it so it doesn''t tangle.
leave it alone and let it grow. trim damage with a sharp pair of hair scissors. hemline trim every 3-6 months.
quit with the shamppo if you are brave. suave natural conditioners and cheap white rain (the runny ones) work very well to cleanse the scalp and get rid of the greasies.
no silicones. no pantene, no aussie, no most of the major brands. if there is an ingredient that ends in ''-one'' don''t use it.
What do you do if you want to work out?

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/11/2007 4:16:07 PM
Author: luckystar112
Curlygirl...when I saw this thread I immediately thought of you! I remember from another thread that you said you had extensions and I seriously LOVE the way they came out. I hope you don''t think this is weird...but I actually saved one of the photos to show to a stylist when the time comes. In my opinion, it''s one of the prettiest wedding styles I''ve ever seen!
Aw, I''m totally flattered, thank you so much! I have to say I LOVED my wedding hair and makeup--wish I could have it done like that every day!

And just to address surfgirl''s comment, yes, I agree. My look was ME, just a little bit enhanced. I didn''t use the extensions to go from having a bob to having Farrah Fawcett locks! They were just to add a little bit of fullness and length but nothing significantly noticeable to those who didn''t know they were there...

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 4:02:30 PM
Author: robbie3982

simple advice.
no silicones. no pantene, no aussie, no most of the major brands. if there is an ingredient that ends in ''-one'' don''t use it.
fabric covered scrunchie, once past bra line then people tend to use hair sticks.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to avoid using elastics to hold my long hair back, but my hair is super slippery and falls out of hair sticks, claw clips, or anything similar very quickly. It does seem to resist damage well, though, and I used to wear it past my waist for years. It''s mid shoulder-blade right now. I''ve found the only way I can get my hair to stay up anyway other than a ponytail is to twist it into a claw clip while it''s still wet. Even then, once my hair dries it starts sliding out. Very frustrating. At the same time, my hair doesn''t like to hold curl, so I''m really afraid of hair issues when I get married. Down and curled will fall flat, updos like to slip loose. I wonder if extensions would help by offering a little more grip to keep an updo in place??

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
could you try an experiment elimnating silicone from your hair. maybe the utensils will stay in? a lot of people don''t realize that the slick straight hair styles that are all the rage right now, the products they are using contain floor wax.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 6:18:32 PM
could you try an experiment elimnating silicone from your hair. maybe the utensils will stay in? a lot of people don''t realize that the slick straight hair styles that are all the rage right now, the products they are using contain floor wax.

I use product in my hair very rarely, so I highly doubt product buildup, especially silicone, is my problem. My hair has been like this as long as I can remember. It''s on the finer side and very smooth and soft, but certainly not baby fine or thin. I get static fly-aways if I don''t use conditioner, particularly in the winter, but even then my hair will slip out of hair clips.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I use the no-snag/no pull clear rubber bands- I think they are made by a company called Scunci and sold in drugstores.

yep- here they are.

Also ladykemma, although I didn''t grow my hair long specifically for my wedding nor did I wear extensions- 2 of my friends with long hair both had to use "fake" hair to fill their updos on the wedding day- not because of length but because they both have thin hair. That is why a lot of people get extensions or use fake pony tails on their wedding day.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2007 4:52:43 PM

Date: 4/14/2007 4:02:30 PM
Author: robbie3982

simple advice.
fabric covered scrunchie, once past bra line then people tend to use hair sticks.
None of those would hold my hair while I''m working out. Even those no-slip bands from goody start to slip when I''m running. Oh well. The only problem with growing my hair out seems to be when I go for trims the person cutting it messes it up.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock

simple advice.
Well, my problem isn''t exactly the length, it''s the volume. My hair is relatively long, but it''s thin so no matter how long I grow it, it''s still not going to give me the substaintial volume I need to create some of the looks I''m interested in. So, basically I need more hair, not longer hair...

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock

simple advice.

Wow... my hair would NOT look nearly as attractive if I followed most of these "guidelines." And I''m personally not willing to sacrifice day-to-day appearance just so I can have LONG hair...

...Especially when, like so many other posters have noted, the point of extensions is usually to add VOLUME, not length.

I think extensions are fabulous. I''ve never had them myself, but have admired the look on many others who have
2.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 3:32:07 PM
Author: musey

Wow... my hair would NOT look nearly as attractive if I followed most of these ''guidelines.'' And I''m personally not willing to sacrifice day-to-day appearance just so I can have LONG hair...

...Especially when, like so many other posters have noted, the point of extensions is usually to add VOLUME, not length.

I think extensions are fabulous. I''ve never had them myself, but have admired the look on many others who have
2.gif
I was thinking that too. My hair looks awful when I don''t blow dry it and there''s no taming the frizzies without my styling products that contain their "one" ingredients.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock

simple advice.

I have to say that I would follow most of these with my hair, apart from the no shampoo one, as I love my shampoos and my hair really is much healthier looking since I stopped blow drying it and straightning it. Its nearly down to my bum now so I think thats as far as Im going to grow it as I adore the length now but it is possible to grow it all naturally. If you need more volume, then hair extensions would probably be the way to go, but for length it definitely is possible.

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Wow--I guess I''m just blessed with having long, thick, curly hair.

My sister got married in September, and her hair is nothing like mine--very thin. I''d say her hair is probably 5 inches longer than mine, but I still have much more per square inch. The stylist was absolutely in love with my hair--whatever she did to it, it just stayed that way because it''s so thick. My sister''s was a bit more problematic.

However, one of the other bridesmaids had hair even thinner than my sister''s, and she brought along this clip that she called her "furry little friend." I think it may have even had a name, which freaked me out a little. It basically looked like a ponytail attached to an alligator clip. I have to admit--when it was in her hair all done up, you really couldn''t tell the difference, and it made her bun look so much thicker and fuller. The color matched perfectly, and it was just some cheap add-on she bought at a beauty chain. Ah, I tried to find a picture of her hair, but I can''t. Sorry!

bravesfan

Shiny_Rock

I’m a little late in posting to this but...

I am having hair extensions for my wedding and I looked into the permanent one and the clip in ones and here is what I found:

The permanent one can REALLY damage your hair and make you head itch and hurt for the first couple time you have them put in. They look great but are very expensive and prob no worth it just for a wedding.

I also looked into clip ins and found a great kind. It is the Jessica Simpson line BUT you want to get the human hair ones. They can be cut, dyed, curled, straightened-- you name it, you can do it. There is a really good video about how to put them in on Hairuwear.com The human hair extension goes for about 500 but you can get them for around 300 hundred if you shop around.

2.gif

Here is the link to the video http://www.hairuwear.com/jessica.aspx?pgID=998

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results