shape
carat
color
clarity

Hair color disaster

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
So I just got back from Mexico, and my brown hair with highlights really bleached out from sun, salt, pool, etc...

Went to my hairdresser of 6 years & had her dye it back to a nice medium brown.

IT''S BLACK-ISH!

Think...Courteney Cox''s hair at its darkest. My hairdresser said it will fade in a few washes, but I''m not so sure. Now I do have dark eyebrows & blue eyes, so it does make my eyes pop...but it also made my step-mom''s eyes pop out of her sockets when she saw me! Oh no!

How can I make it fade faster? the highlighted parts took the color the darkest, and the parts that were browner look like a nice color.

Shoot. I don''t want to go back & have her fix it, cuz it''s so time consuming & I have to arrange for babysitting. Plus, ever since I had my son, my hair does not color the way it used to...hence her difficulty in getting ANY color I''ve had done in the last 18 months right.

grrrrrr.

Jeannine

Emeraldfan

Shiny_Rock
I had a similar thing happen. I went back and had her tone my coloring and that worked out really well. Also, the highlighted haisr are the strands that will seep in the most color now but are also the least likely to keep color in because those strands aren''t used to holding the color in. So in a few weeks those highlighted strands may end up coming through. If you don''t want to go back to the salon for a toning, I would just wash it everyday with regular shampoo instead of "for color treated hair" and wait two weeks to see if it does lighten up

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Here is what it looks like. Its not so bad in pictures, but looks darker to me IRL. If it looked like this in person, I'd be ok. I think I'll just let it fade out, since toning turns my hair orange since i had my son. I don't have a "real" job anymore (stay at home mom, yoga & fitness instructor) so I can just play up that "funky aerobics instructor" thing. (forgive me, I have no makeup on & I have that stupid "melasma" aka sun spots over my lip--its not a mustache---and all over my cheeks too....ah the joys of pregnancy--I'll have them lasered off after I have my next kid)

P9130008.jpg

What do you guys think?

Jeannine

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think you look stunning...I love the color. And in a week or so, it will lighten. I used to dye mine pitch black because I knew the color would not hold....

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I think it actually looks really good in the picture! People that know you will react because it''s different, not necessarily because it''s bad.

If it''s a semi-permanent color, it will fade soon. Just keep washing it!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I know you said it''s darker in real life, but I really like it! I love the combination of dark hair and light eyes. I think it also looks really natural. I''d give it a few days to get used to it and see if you still dislike it.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It will fade in a few days I bet. I think you look amazing!!!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Aww you guys are so sweet.....I''ll just hang onto it. At least now I look like my son...he has super dark brown hair & dark black/brown eyes with the pale skin. (he has his daddy''s eyes & hair)

I did read that rinsing your hair with hot olive oil & washing with a volumizing shampoo can help take a little out. I might do that, as I have both those things in my house. I did wash it once, but it was with my Aveda Color Conserve shampoo....I''m sure that didn''t help.

Thanks!

Jeannine

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I think you look gorgeous! My hair is naturally that color but I have boring brown eyes so to me, you look great! But I can imagine it''s shocking for you if you''re used to having lighter hair. I''m sure it will fade in a few days--just keep washing it.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have any hair color advice, but I wanted to encourage you that your melasma (that you say you have--I can't actually see it in the picture) may very well fade on its own. I used to get it in the summer (I knew it was pretty bad when my mom thought my face was dirty!) and always suspected BC pills were to blame. I stopped taking them at the beginning of last summer and didn't have any more last summer or this one. Yay!

ETA: I think your hair looks great, too. Probably one of those things where only people who know how you usually look would notice anything.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous!! It really brings out your eyes. And don''t worry if it seems really dark - it will fade with a few washes.

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
divergrrl, I think it looks stunning on you, and yes it does make your eyes pop but in a good way. I know it is each to their own, and if you do not like it, then that is what matters, but I just wanted to assure you...you look stunning and so if it grows on you, then don''t worry about the rest - they will get used to it - giggle.
I say this out of experience...I just had my hair colored for the first time..that was 8 weeks ago and I am just starting to see a little grey root but nothing to worry about yet. I got a shock when I was looking at some pics of strmrdr and myself that I took when I was with him, and my grey hair made me look sooooo much more than just 3 years older, giggle, so I freaked and had his sister wash dem greys right outta ma hair - giggle Now I can pass for not robbing the cradle - giggle.
Anywho - all the best on what ever you do, but personally I think it looks great :}

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
diversweetie...you look fab girl!!!! i totally agree it's hard to see yourself after a big change because you are so used to seeing you before (as is everyone else). but you will get used to it very quickly. and then it washes out !! so i'd just enjoy the different you for a while because the color does fade. i had a weird dye job last year, my new stylist was still figuring things out with me from the 'pass off' after my old stylist left the salon, and i told her well i usually go darker for fall and she said okay lets add some red in and i said okay and she dyed my hair with a sheer red !!! so it was like a dark brown with sheer candy red over it. i felt like a rock star and thought i looked horrible but everyone around me loved it, go figure. i was really happy when it washed out though and got more sheer and then it was pretty...it took a few weeks and i just washed my hair practically daily with a 'cleansing' shampoo and nothing like the special colored hair shampoos you typically use to *retain* color. i wanted it out! then when i went back 8 weeks later for my next cut and highlight, she did it right...since then it's been great. but i think you look awesome! look at your amazing eyes.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
divergrrl....uhmm well, I don''t know what to say. I think it looks GREAT! So I feel bad saying that when you are desperately trying to get it back to normal. It''s probably a drastic change, but it will fade. My sister used to be psychotic about dying her hair, and when she thought the color was wrong would go to the hairdressers to get all sorts of ajustments (which never turned out) sometimes the best thing to do is let it be.

Meanwhile, I would get a little kick out of being a dark haired vixen
2.gif

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2006 3:24:08 PM
Author: allycat0303
divergrrl....uhmm well, I don't know what to say. I think it looks GREAT! So I feel bad saying that when you are desperately trying to get it back to normal. It's probably a drastic change, but it will fade. My sister used to be psychotic about dying her hair, and when she thought the color was wrong would go to the hairdressers to get all sorts of ajustments (which never turned out) sometimes the best thing to do is let it be.

Meanwhile, I would get a little kick out of being a dark haired vixen
2.gif

Thanks guys...it really looks a LOT darker in person than in the picture. Like I said, if I looked in the mirror & saw that color I'd be ok. (but the front really looks black...)

But....like you all said...the colors wash out, so I'll just hang tight, and yes, enjoy being a dark haired vixen for awhile.

I think if I tried to "fix" it, it would not work out, and letting it fade on its own (yes, it's semi-permanent) will look lots better.

And.....my husband LOOOVES me with darker hair.

It's just that I've had some really blonde highlights all summer & my trip to mexico last week lightened it up a ton..so it was a big shock to go darker.

FYI..my natural color is not a whole lot lighter....a medium/dark brown normally.

Ok..well I'm done worrying then. I'll just walk around like "I meant to do that!".

Thanks so much for the moral support...((((((hugs)))))

Jeannine

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I think you look wonderful.

Many years ago the same thing happened to me. The stylist put a too dark color on me and I looked like a witch!
Eeek!

I''m not suggesting you do this, but I washed my hair with Tide Laundry detergent to fade it! Someone told me that would work, I can''t remember the results, but I can imagine I had very dry hair after that! The dye job was a few days before my husbands Christmas office party and I was desparate to fade the black back to my medium golden brown. I was so pissed at the stylist, I couldn''t go back.

Keep us posted.

IndieQueen001

Rough_Rock
Personally I think the dark color makes your eyes absolutely stunning! Do you have an older picture with the old color that you could post as a comparison? (I''m a little jealous of the light blue eyes
emsmilep.gif
- I got stuck with bluish green which is actually looking good with the red I put over my blonde.) You''re giving me ideas!!!

Seriously though, it looks great

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock

Indiegirl: ok, since you asked...

emwink.gif
here is my hair...LAST WEEK...with my friend in Mexico..(I''m on the left)

P8240020.jpg

And here is the color I usually go for in the winter:

P1010010.jpg

I am not going to stress too much, but man, you guys gotta know..it''s so much blacker in person. LOL!

Jeannine

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the winter hair, and the darker hair you have now...it just makes your skin glow to me.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
I think your new color looks great-it''s mine also
2.gif
I never wanted my hair this dark either. I had tried to color my hair, messed it up & wound up going to my stylist to fix it. She asked me what color I was trying to achieve and I told her a nice brown. Well, I wound up getting the same color you have. I like it but I have very fair skin. Sometimes I feel it looks too hard. It does make my green eyes look amazing though. It will fade but you can wash your hair with dishwashing liquid if you want to fade it out quicker. Another bummer is that once you go this dark you are pretty much stuck with dark hair. You can try throwing in highlights but they always wind up looking like crap with dark hair they either turn copper or yellow.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I really like the darker colours on you as well! I am sure it will lighten quite a bit after a few washes and then maybe you will feel better about it. You are very pretty and your little guy is so cute!!!!!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
First, what a cute Halloween picture! And you are gorgeous! You don''t look like you had a baby EVER! I''m still lugging 20 extra pounds of preggo weight 1 year later.
38.gif

Anyway, I love the darker hair color! I see what you mean about it being a few shades darker than normal but I think it looks good! Also, the shorter hair looks better than the longer!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks good, but it is pretty dark compared to what it was. I''ve got light brown hair and use hydrogen peroxide to lighten it.

I did a web search and came up with this:

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair/toodarkdyedhair.htm

It usually doesn''t take too long for it to wash out though.

IndieQueen001

Rough_Rock
I like both looks actually, the brownish red and the dark brunette.. i think (as other also think) that it''ll fade into a beautiful color after a few washes. But you''re the one that has to live with your hair so it''s ultimately your decision
emwink.gif
... and i wasn''t joking about you are inspiring me to try dark brown

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see it''s darker than you''re used to....but it still looks really good on you!

Trust me, keep washing - it will fade. I actually WANTED to dye my hair back to a dark brown after years of coloring it red...and the dark color faded quite a bit by my next haircut! I had only wanted to get highlights/roots done, and I ended up having to get my hair darkened again too!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think your hair looks great at every color you posted! Your son is so cute too! Hope you had a blast in Mexico.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Divergrrl,
If you have a minute, could you tell me how a person becomes a fitness instructor? I'd love to do that. I've taken a million classes, mostly spin and body sculpt and step - it would be cool to be the teacher!
Gail

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Gail,

Well....I''ve danced since I was 5, so movement came naturally, but you don''t need that kind of training, but it does help with things like choreography & being able to find the beat, having rythm, etc. But if you have good rythm & are at least coordinated, you can teach anything. (you need to be able to count music in your head & feel the beat--most popular music is to an 8 count...and you always introduce a new movement at the top of a 32 count block -- or 4 sets of 8 counts. Try listening to a song & counting 12345678, 12345678, etc....and hear when the music changes..it''s subtle, but its crucial to cueing & cueing makes or breaks an instructor)

But you''ll want to get certified by a nationally recognized organization. If you have no experience teaching, AFAA is the way to go. There is usually a practical workshop where they teach how to choreograph & cue. But, there''s a national exam you have to take (anatomy, physiology, exercise science focused) if you want to teach. It takes about 3 to 6 months to study for, depending on how fast you learn--its a self paced thing. If you have experience and don''t want the workshop -- then ACE is another good organization (that''s who mine is through...but I highly recommend AFAA, any type of teaching workshop is priceless). Cost to get certified is about $75 for study materials and around $200 for the test. (all tax deductible).

Then you have to get your CPR certification.

There are a lot of different types of courses out there for the individual class types, Johnny G is the industry standard for indoor cycling classes, I believe he copyrighted "Spinning". His website has a list of locations & training courses.

Its really important to get trained in the type of class you want to teach. There are a lot of tricks, tips, and the right way to structure a class that you wouldn''t otherwise know just from taking a class. I self taught myself in college & it was awful & so hard. But I was poor & couldn''t afford workshops. Once I got hired on by a bigger club who sent us to classes, I learned what I was missing & it made all the difference.

since I quit my corporate job to become a mom, I went back to teaching for fun, and I''ve been a workshop freak. I''m going to an indoor cycling master class & step choreography workshop in two weeks, with a forum on how to teach to the back row, so it''s always important to keep learning new skills so your classes don''t get bored.

I am working on my RYT (yoga cert) through YogaFit. I''ve got level 1 so far. www.yogafit.com they are so wonderful to learn from, and I really like the organization. I would love to go through their levels faster, but a girl could go broke.
2.gif

Also, find out who the aerobics coordinator or manager is at your gym & let them know you want to become an instructor. They are your best resource & can hook you up with workshops, opportunities, even teach you how to teach. Its great fun & a good way to get your workout in and have free gym memberships. You don''t make a lot of money ($25 to $40 a class, depending on size of club--bigger classes equal higher pay, as well as your experience) but teaching a few classes a week is a great way to make a little extra pocket change.

I taught a hip-hop class at my gym this last saturday at their 25th anniversary party...and it was insane. My students loved it. I had a ton of fun, haven''t taught that since college in 1994, and it was just a rush...but i have to say, choreographing it was so much easier since I''ve learned a few tricks of the trade. In the past I could not choreograph to save my life, now it''s MUCH easier. I think they are going to put it on the schedule permanently. Not bad for a white chick.
31.gif

Well, i''m up early (4:30am to help hubby pack for a trip)...and I need to grab a nap before baby wakes up. Let me know if you need anymore info. Good luck! It''s fun!

Jeannine

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Jeannine,
Thanks so much! This is extremely helpful!
I used to be a musician, so the beat part comes naturally.... LOVE fitness, and love teaching (although relatively inexperienced - just some teaching assistant experience) so this is something I am going to look into!!
Thanks again!
Gail

jas

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that you look stunning with the dark hair...

However, as someone who has blazed the family trail in terms of "experimenting" with color -- try using good old Prell (not for colored hair, just regular) -- it''s pretty strong and will fade the color. Just condition like crazy for the next few days after.

But I''d give it a few washes with your regular shampoo, see if you love it, see if it fades, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results