shape
carat
color
clarity

Had something really scary happen this morning

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Creepy, man. You wanna hear the latest creepiness in the old building our antique mall is in (which I also live in?)

So, I got a call about two weeks ago- an employee couldn't code out, the security system wouldn't arm on one floor. I fiddled with it, nothing. So the next day the alarm company came out and eventually figured out that the phone line for the alarm system was unplugged. It's a regular phone jack- the kind that clips in securely and 'clicks' into place. There's about eleventy zillion phone cords back there- all unlabeled- nobody could guess which was the security alarm. So they fix it and that's that.

Last week- same thing. Alarm wouldn't arm. I checked, and sure enough, the same frigging cord is hanging loose, totally out of the plug! I'd checked it right after the last incident, and it was securely clipped in. :-o

I know none of the 60-something women I work with would have a CLUE how to pull one single random plug out even as a practical joke!

This is the same building we hear the phantom knocking in all the time. Sounds like knuckles on the inner wall, moves around quickly- totally freaky. It's definitely not the plumbing, it's in too many weird places- sometimes it's as loud as someone using a hammer. I'll be working and in the back of my mind think, "Oh, DH is hammering upstairs." And later ask and realize, no, nobody was hammering.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, have I ever told you how my Dad used to try to use aversion therapy on my brother and me? I don't think I have, but I think you'll at least relate:

My brother is 4 years older than me. So, I would be 4 or 5 during most of these stories, he would be 7 or 8. Yeah, we were pretty young, but had grown up on a farm in the Midwest and were pretty accustomed to seeing deaths and births of livestock, etc.

My dad would take us fishing in the summer. When it got cold, however, he'd take us to the movies ("Children of the Corn") or we'd take long drives out into the SERIOUS country and he'd literally make us get out of the Jeep and walk through old, abandoned houses in the middle of nowhere. The whole time, I remember him repeating, "we aren't scared of anything!"

To this day, I cannot walk through a haunted house without laughing. The scariest times of my life were spent with my dad. He literally scared the scared part out of me and I've been cynical ever since. I just laugh! Every freaking time! I have ZERO suspension of disbelief.

My dad achieved, for me, what he set out to: desensitize me until I just wasn't scared anymore!

I know you're not this way, but I thought you'd enjoy this story of mine. I think if a ghost ever walked up to me, I'd just laugh and hopefully we'd have a good conversation. I think they're nothing to be scared of, and I think that was my Dad's ultimate goal--for me to be fearless.

xoxo--Monnie

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
LGK - That is very strange! It couldn't be the cats right?

Monarch - That's pretty cool that your dad did that. Plus it'd be seriously fun to walk around old houses.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Makes sense, DF, that you are more open or maybe more sensitive to paranormal stuff than your friends. Whoever is there must realize that. I think it's very cool. Next time you stay there -- how about putting a recorder out & see if you get anything? You could even explain to the...well, air...that he can talk into it if he feels like it.

Having grown up in a house w/a ghost (or 2?), I found it more fascinating than scary. I wish I'd known who our fellow was. I saw him a couple of times -- middle-aged farmer type, not surprising since our house was a farmhouse in the early 1800s; my cats saw him & skulked out of the room. He made noises & played mischievous jokes on me occasionally. Knocking kind of within the wall woke me up frequently in the middle of the night until I asked him to stop -- and he did! That made my hair stand up.

Monarch, I agree, walking around empty old houses would be very neat! Good for your dad for de-scaring you.

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results