carat
color
clarity

Had my diamond for 1 year... Mysterious black spot

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hello Pricescope!

I've been MIA for quite a while--graduated with my Masters and started a high stress corporation job so I've been pretty busy. I've had my BGD diamond for just at a year now, and a black spot that I've never noticed before has caught my attention on the table of the diamond. The diamond is a 1.2 carat BGD Signature, SI1 and I color. Gorgeous, and I was assured it was eye clean when I bought it from Brian. However, this spot is driving me crazy! I swear it just popped up a few weeks ago, it looks like a little black dot right in the middle of the diamond. I know it's possible that I just never noticed it before, but I inspect my ring quite frequently and have never seen a flaw in it. Is there any chance the spot is something else, like I damaged it or something? This may be the dumbest question you guys have heard on here, but I'm pretty distraught. :(

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the lab grading plot show an inclusion in that location?

Do you have a loupe?
If not take it to a jewelry store and ask to borrow theirs.

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just pulled out my AGS report. It looks like there's a small crystal and needle (whatever those are) in that spot. :(. Gosh, I guess it's always been there, but I just really really never saw it. I was adamant about not being able to see any black spots at all, or else I would have sent it back. Should I still have a jeweler loupe it? Gosh I am so bummed...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JeBri31508|1307045534|2936395 said:
I just pulled out my AGS report. It looks like there's a small crystal and needle (whatever those are) in that spot. :(. Gosh, I guess it's always been there, but I just really really never saw it. I was adamant about not being able to see any black spots at all, or else I would have sent it back. Should I still have a jeweler loupe it? Gosh I am so bummed...

Sure bring it it.
It couldn't hurt to be certain that it is the inclusion on the plot an not some stubborn gunk.

BTW, eye-clean is not a black and white thing.
People's vision varies.
Also the distance it's held at varies.
Also, lighting affects ability to make out inclusions.

I'd give it a good cleaning and show it to 10 friends in lighting that makes the inclusion easiest for you to see.
Ask them if they see it.
Don't show them were it is or describe it first.
If all 10 spot it right away I'd say it's not eye-clean.
If nobody spots it, I'd say it IS eye-clean but you have superwoman vision, which is not Brian Gavin's fault.

If you become certain it is the inclusion on the plot you can call Brian Gavin and discuss your disappointment, and see what he says.
They are a good company.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take your ring to a professional jeweler and have them steam clean it for you. And take your report with you. Use their 40x loupe after it is clean and look at it.

druidtime

Rough_Rock
I would try cleaning the diamond first. Maybe the spot you are seeing is some dirt under it or on the outside?

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I will definitely try all those things--I need to get the rhodium plating re-done anyway, bc the white gold is yellowing. I'm really hoping it's just stubborn dirt, but I guess we'll see. I'll also see if others can see the speck--it is very likely that I have crazy picky vision, and I know that's not Brians fault. Thanks so much for the replies!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
If you haven't seen it in the year you've had it, I'm pretty sure that fits almost everyone's definition of eye clean.

Get it cleaned real well. Have you had any repairs made on it recently? Maybe it's that jeweler's gunk/wax, or just gunk in general.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JeBri31508|1307045534|2936395 said:
good excuse for an UPGRADE!!.. :bigsmile:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ummm... you had it a year and just noticed it now. Even if it is an inclusion, I don't think you can talk about it being the vendor's fault. Sounds like it is pretty eye clean to me.

If it *is* an inclusion at all, which I doubt since it took so long to see. Hopefully a good cleaning and trip to the jeweler will clear it up.

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1307056523|2936508 said:
Ummm... you had it a year and just noticed it now. Even if it is an inclusion, I don't think you can talk about it being the vendor's fault. Sounds like it is pretty eye clean to me.

If it *is* an inclusion at all, which I doubt since it took so long to see. Hopefully a good cleaning and trip to the jeweler will clear it up.

I know it's definitely not BGD's fault even if it is an inclusion. I think they're a fantastic company! I was just wanting some advice on what it might be if it's not an inclusion. I can't say I won't be bummed if it is, but I definitely know it's nobodys fault for it...I'm taking it Saturday to get a good cleaning and hopefully that will be the end of it! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed an inclusion in my original diamond after many, many years, so don't feel bad! It is hard once you notice it! But since you didn't see it for a year, I am sure it is eyeclean to anyone else who looks casually at your ring. I will be honest and tell you, though, that since then, all my diamonds have been VS, because I really prefer not to see inclusions. At least you can always trade-up if you ever want to.

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1307064671|2936596 said:
I noticed an inclusion in my original diamond after many, many years, so don't feel bad! It is hard once you notice it! But since you didn't see it for a year, I am sure it is eyeclean to anyone else who looks casually at your ring. I will be honest and tell you, though, that since then, all my diamonds have been VS, because I really prefer not to see inclusions. At least you can always trade-up if you ever want to.

That makes me feel a little bit better--like I'm not totally crazy! :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
JeBri31508|1307061703|2936566 said:

I know it's definitely not BGD's fault even if it is an inclusion. I think they're a fantastic company! I was just wanting some advice on what it might be if it's not an inclusion. I can't say I won't be bummed if it is, but I definitely know it's nobodys fault for it...I'm taking it Saturday to get a good cleaning and hopefully that will be the end of it! :)

;)) I looked back at your threads, I remember you well now. M'dear you tend to analyze things a lot and then worry a wee bit it seems. In this case, wait until you have all the information before you worry. And if it is an inclusion... well you can always upgrade to a VS2 if you need to. Or stop looking at your stone up close. :rodent:

JeBri31508

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1307074086|2936707 said:
JeBri31508|1307061703|2936566 said:

;)) I looked back at your threads, I remember you well now. M'dear you tend to analyze things a lot and then worry a wee bit it seems. In this case, wait until you have all the information before you worry. And if it is an inclusion... well you can always upgrade to a VS2 if you need to. Or stop looking at your stone up close. :rodent:

Hehe Dreamer you are 100% right on that! I freaked out about the color at first, and then "mysteriously" had no qualms about it about 1-2 months later. LOVE the color. And I probably need to stop looking at the stone only inches away from my eyes ;-) I'm sure a good cleaning will make all the difference, even if that stubborn little spot is still there. And a VS2 may be in the future, but not for a long while, so I'll work on not over-analyzing! Thanks :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know how you feel. But the trouble with diamonds, or anything in life really, is if we peer too hard we will find the flaws! Glad you grew to like the color. I also found when I stopped *looking* for issues with color, I stopped caring about it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JeBri - take a look at what a stone of comparable size and stats to yours would cost right now, a year later, and you'll feel a whole lot better about your purchase :halo:

Agree with Dreamer on everything she said re. focusing elsewhere ::) a good clean will help you fall in love with it all over again, I think!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1307126038|2937060 said:
JeBri - take a look at what a stone of comparable size and stats to yours would cost right now, a year later, and you'll feel a whole lot better about your purchase :halo:

Agree with Dreamer on everything she said re. focusing elsewhere ::) a good clean will help you fall in love with it all over again, I think!

YES! Just look at prices today and you will looooove your diamond all over again ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results