shape
carat
color
clarity

H vs. G - difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pbanerji

Rough_Rock
Of my friends told me that diamond color can be classified into groups of grades and that different colors within that grade are not really distiguishable from each other. Specifically, she says that G, H, and I can be grouped and D, E, and F can be grouped. Her claim is that if I''m going to get a G, then I might as well get an I because they will be very similar. Likewise, D and F will be similar.

Anyone know if this is true?

Following her logic, a G to an F is a big jump, whereas an H to a G is not a big jump.

???

jpdoane

Rough_Rock
I do not beleive that this is true. The colors are classified in groups (ie D-F: colorless), (G-I near colorless), and thus F to G represents this first incling of visible color, but each step is uniform. The grades are fine enough that I can't really tell between two stones within one grade, and thus nitpicking over one grade has only limited value.
In the end, go to a jeweler and look for yourself. It should put things in perspective for you.

-Jon

8*flash

Rough_Rock
As long as its a quality cut you will never be able to tell the difference between a D, E, F, G, or H, and in most cases I, except in the wallet of course. They will all face up colorless and very white.

bools

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 1:29:28 PM 8*flash wrote:

They will all face up colorless and very white.
----------------

I think every stone is different so you really need to look at individual diamonds. From what I could tell, there is a slight difference as you go down the colour scale - however, I didn't really notice a difference between an E and an H until the stones were on a white background and in the face down position.

Also, without another stone to compare it against side-by-side, it was imposible for me to tell the difference.

Ultimately the decision is yours and it depends on how discerning your eyes (and the eyes of your significant other) are at picking up these slight differences.

The best bet is probably going into a jewellery store and looking at the stones in person. That way you can guage if your eyes can tell a difference.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't agree that a G looks like an I...I have seen both and the I tends to be more warm. Just think of it like D is colorless...E is next to D and F is next to E. Chances are F has more color than D or else it would be an E or even an D. I have been told G should be in a class all it's own because the jeweler didn't feel that it was in the same class as an H I J. I also don't feel like J should be classed with GHI...I feel like J is where it starts to get dicey (though some think I). It's very subjective, depends on your eyes..your vision, how you perceive color. I think a good rule of thumb is that if you want a colorless range, get an E or F..if you want to save a little $$ but don't want I or J..get a G or H.

Good luck
2.gif
You will need to see some stones in person to help figure out how you eye picks up color. Also keep in mind the better cut the stone, the less you see color. So a maul cut G stone will have more color than an excellently cut H&A G.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 1
6.gif
4:30 PM jpdoane wrote:
The colors are classified in groups (ie D-F: colorless), (G-I near colorless)
----------------
Excuse me, near colorless is G-H-I-J.
nono.gif

Loving my Js!
3.gif

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
After months of debating whether I should get a colorless diamond I finally decided to get an H since next to nobody will ever know the difference and the price difference is dramatic. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

8*flash

Rough_Rock
I'd put my I colored 8* up against most non 8* G or H colors anyday and you would be very hard pressed to tell the difference unless you but it through a machine.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
are people doing ok???

D is D
E is E
F is F
G is G
H is H

so D is not H and H is not D

Now do you need D since the difference between D and H once set is
so little you won't see it....it's up to you!!!

Period.

Do we need another thread in the future about this topic??

Raise your hand if it's "no".

Trichrome.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Well put Mara. Some people are more sensitive to color than others. You really need to see a range of stones side by side for yourself to determine what your eye can differentiate. To my eye, the difference between G and H is very minimal, but I can see a huge difference between H and I.

yikes

Rough_Rock
Many people believe that G is the 'class of its own' color. It is based on the principal that even a trained eye cannot tell the difference between two coinciding letters in a mounted diamond worn on someone's finger (in this case: F and G). G can be the fooling color--looking like it belongs in the colorless catagory.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Believe me, I saw A LOT of diamonds and I still have to compare them to see the difference betweeen D and I (when mounted)!
But my best friend, who doesn't know a lot about a proportions and certificates, will always WOW!!!! when she sees a D-E color (without knowing that).
This discussion has no issue, your eyes are unique...

rbjd

Shiny_Rock
Compared side by side, face down, it is very easy to tell the difference between colors that are 2 grades or more apart. It is more difficult to tell the difference between colors that are 1 grade off. G and H stones are NOT yellow. Face up in a ring you will NEVER be able to tell them apart with assurance.

The real issue is: does it matter? It is a matter of subjective taste whether to your eye the look of a J is better than the look of a D. The other issue is rarity. D is rarer than G. You won't find as many D stones as G stones. (Of course, a G Flawless would be rarer than a D SI1, so it's all relative).

If you are not concerned with the aspect of rarity, then you might as well go for what looks good to you. Frankly, if you think colorless looks better than near colorless, then pay the extra money. Otherwise, the sensible thing is to get a better cut and a bigger stone by buying something in the near colorless category.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 3:19:27 PM trichrome wrote:

are people doing ok???

D is D
E is E
F is F
G is G
H is H

so D is not H and H is not D

Trichrome.
----------------

Trichrome.....the question is, are YOU ok? Who peed in your Cherrios today?

This forum is a place for people to come to learn. As such, there is NO limit on how many times this topic can be discussed. In your haste to be snide, perhaps you didn't notice that the question was asked by someone who's NEW here.....only registered 6 days ago. That means he hasn't been here for the other discussions you've been privy to on this. A little tolerance on your part as a veteran here would be in order. Lighten up!
9.gif

If you feel this subject has been overdone, you can easily ignore the thread. Problem solved......no need to rain on anyone else's parade.

PBJANERI....Nearly any well-cut diamond between D and H/I will face up white when set. Some even note that their Js face up white. There is an incremental difference in each color grade; some are more discernable to the unaided human eye than others. Remember that diamond are graded when placed face-down against a white paper. That's not how they are going to be viewed mounted.

Colorless diamonds: D,E,F
Near-colorless: G,H,I,J

The grades are also important in determining price. Even though D,E,F are all colorless, a D diamond costs more than an E, which in turn costs more than an F. I think what your friend is trying to say is this: If you're going to spend the money on a diamond in the colorless range, your best value would be the F, because you're still getting a "colorless" diamond while getting the price-break on the F.

If you are trying to decide between G and H: A properly graded, well-cut H diamond will face up as white as a G diamond to the unaided eye, and will give you the benefit of the price break between the G and the H.

Good luck!

69gm

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 3:19:27 PM trichrome wrote:

Trichrome.
----------------

yo tri,

i don't think you have a say in the matter. as long as new people enter the forum, there will be repeat questions, and helpful people who will answer them. to you a subject might've been asked and answered. to a newbie it's brand new.

just my thoughts...
2.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
"Otherwise, the sensible thing is to get a better cut and a bigger stone by buying something in the near colorless category."

The best cut, yes of course!

But if you like a D-color, then buy it!

Same for clarity.

IF or VS1?
IF you need it, buy IF!
loopy.gif

69gm

Shiny_Rock
i agree with stephan. it depends on your budget. most of us are on limited resources but for those few privileged ones who's got money comin' outta the ying-yang, GO FOR IT!

D, FL, 8*...if ya gots the funds get the best.

'scuse me while i go back to eating my can of tuna...
2.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
I know someone who didn't sleep well a couple of nights because he bought a 0.80ct D-VVS2.
Of course, you can't see the VVS2, but what will you tell to your friends???
sick.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lie and say its IF or FL. Even if they get out the 10x loupe they won't find the inclusions!!
2.gif
Many people out there lie about the quality of their stone..99.999999% of the general public can't tell an I/J SI1 from a E or F VVS1/IF esp when set. Put your money where its visible...SIZE SIZE SIZE!!!!

3.gif
5.gif

yikes

Rough_Rock
Mara,
I am a lay-person and I could not agree with you more...but make sure the darn thing sparkles! With a sparkle, a fire and a decent size, you can fool the world to what it really is--trust me I am wearing something that people think is more than what it is...

Nate

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 4:38:39 PM Stephan wrote:

I know someone who didn't sleep well a couple of nights because he bought a 0.80ct D-VVS2.
Of course, you can't see the VVS2, but what will you tell to your friends???
sick.gif

----------------
If it matters to your friends, who really cares?
rolleyes.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Nate, you were born in the 80's.
I was born in the 70's.
A little respect, please!
9.gif
3.gif
2.gif

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, it just struck me as a really petty, snobby, yuppy thing.
14.gif
Unless of course you were kidding, but I don't think you were.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Of course I was kidding !
2.gif

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
aljdewey,

You're right my cheerios were not that good this morning..

My point was just to reassure this potential buyer... and put
everything in perspective so he'll be confident that in buying
a G or H stone, he won't see any yellow in it once set.

That's it..

Trichrome.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/22/2003 9:24:12 AM trichrome wrote:

aljdewey,

You're right my cheerios were not that good this morning..

My point was just to reassure this potential buyer... and put
everything in perspective so he'll be confident that in buying
a G or H stone, he won't see any yellow in it once set.

That's it..

Trichrome.
----------------

Tri......well done. You've stated it much more elegantly (and kindly) the second time around.

appl.gif
appl.gif
appl.gif

lucy

Rough_Rock
i totally agree with Mara! the only thing people will notice is the size and the sparkle-and quite frankly if someone other than your fiance has the nerve to inquire "oh its nice, but what's the color, what's the clarity?" they deserve a little white lie. That's like asking "what's your weight or body fat percentage"-none of THEIR business!! Up the color and the clarity-no one will know. I have a 3 carat, and believe me it gets a LOT of attention but not one single person has asked about color or clarity just "oh my god-how many carats is that!!" besides if you get a great cut-it will out-dazzle most peoples higher ranked color/clarity anyhoo!

Heyjud

Shiny_Rock
As long as it's clean to the naked eye
It's TRUE clarity can be a little white lie

And unless you're an expert
It's hard to see
The difference between an H and a G

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 7/23/2003 9:25:48 PM lucy wrote:

quite frankly if someone other than your fiance has the nerve to inquire "oh its nice, but what's the color, what's the clarity?" they deserve a little white lie.

----------------
A bolder solution.....answer by asking "How much money do you make a year?"
Usually......point taken, and the invasiveness stops.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 7/21/2003 2
6.gif
1:12 PM Nate wrote:

----------------
On 7/21/2003 1
6.gif
4:30 PM jpdoane wrote:
The colors are classified in groups (ie D-F: colorless), (G-I near colorless)
----------------
Excuse me, near colorless is G-H-I-J.
nono.gif

Loving my Js!
3.gif

----------------

Nate, when you start getting into the bigger sizes you may be able to see some body hue in a J. But, in the 1c range, a well cut J will be near colorless.

All that said, my 3c "I" stone faces up very white in my platinum setting w/ very white side stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results