shape
carat
color
clarity

H Color supposed to be that visible?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

1st_time

Rough_Rock
I looked at a 3.02, H VVS2 stone and thought the tint of yellow was just so visible. Is this normal for the H color?

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Well, that depends on a lot of factors. First off, maybe the cut of the diamond was not very good. And if you were looking at a square cut diamond as opposed to a round cut, the color could show more. Lastly, maybe you are just very color sensitive (I am). It mostly depends on the quality of the diamond cut though, and secondly the shape.

*M*

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 8:42:14 PM
Author:1st_time
I looked at a 3.02, H VVS2 stone and thought the tint of yellow was just so visible. Is this normal for the H color?

Without seeing the diamond, it is impossible for me to determine how visible the yellow actually is, but it does seem easier to distinguish color in larger diamonds like a 3 - 4 carat than in a smaller stone. It also depends on your degree of color sensitivity... Some people simply see color in diamonds better than other people. Lighting conditions also play a part. Spend some time evaluating diamonds of different color and clarity grades to determine what combination provides you with your balanced preference.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Color is much more apparent in a larger stone. Consider no lower than F for a large stone - I think it was Garry Holloway that posted for a stone that large he wouldn''t go lower than F. There is a definite difference the bigger the stone.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
as mentioned already, size and cut will have the biggest impact on color. of course, your perception will play a significant role as well.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
My erstwhile I faces up bright white.

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, but I did note an enormous difference between my previous J (which had been supposed to be an H!) and my F (which just missed E on the spectrophotometer) - J can look pretty white face up, but there is a definite crispness/brightness that the J lacked, and definitely more warmth in certain lighting situations. Especially for someone color sensitive, higher color is safer.

1st_time

Rough_Rock
I appreciate everyone''s feedback. I understand I may need to move to F coloe to help with the visible shade of yellow? One confusing part is the quality of the cut. Is this the same as VG symmetry?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, symmetry is not the same as cut. Newer GIA certificates will have a cut grade. Is this a GIA cert? If it is not GIA or AGS, then it is very possible that the color is lower than H.

Brilliant_Rock
What shape stone are you looking for? Take a peek at the cut charts under the knowledge section - under advanced tutorial.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 9:05:24 PM
Author: 1st_time
I appreciate everyone''s feedback. I understand I may need to move to F coloe to help with the visible shade of yellow? One confusing part is the quality of the cut. Is this the same as VG symmetry?
symmetry alone absolutely does not indicate cut quality. (neither does polish!)

1st_time

Rough_Rock
It is a GIA stone. What should I look for on the certification that will tell me just how well the quality of the cut is? Looks like I will be paying over 30k now.....

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/16/2007 9:13:31 PM
It is a GIA stone. What should I look for on the certification that will tell me just how well the quality of the cut is? Looks like I will be paying over 30k now.....

I take it based on the price you just listed that you are looking at a round brilliant?

Brilliant_Rock
round brilliant cut chart..
2.gif

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/round.asp

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
if it is a recent report, with a cut grade, it will have the important angles listed (crown, pavilion) that''s what you need!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
You'll see more color in larger stones. What shape is the stone? Everyone perceives color differently, but cut is absolutely the most important thing. If you don't see a cut grade on your cert, it was probably graded before GIA started grading cut.

ETA: I just saw your other thread. Princesses do show more color so it's possible that you'd see the warmth in the H.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi 1st Time and welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif

You will find many cut experts here who can help you find a fabulous diamond. (edited)

There is a big price jump moving to an F from an H, so be prepared. I am like you - I am very color sensitive. It's a tough place to be.

1st_time

Rough_Rock
You have all been a great help. One thing I forgot to mention is that the stone is a princess cut stone. For the below variables are there optimal numbers are percentages I should look for? Table:
Depth:
Crown angle:
Pavilion angle:

Thanks again. I am off to read on the tutorial.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
on a 3 carater there is a significant jump in price from H to G, let alone an F so you may have to increase your budget significantly or downsize. Alternately you could forego on the clarity (say VS2-SI1) and then go for the higher color F.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2007 12:52:13 AM
Author: DBM
on a 3 carater there is a significant jump in price from H to G, let alone an F so you may have to increase your budget significantly or downsize. Alternately you could forego on the clarity (say VS2-SI1) and then go for the higher color F.
And guess why there is a big jump?

Because everyone can see it and there is a big trade off.

I suggest you look for G-F and if you can get medium to strong blue fluoro - especially in G - that will help.

As for clarity - it is your call - but many SI2''s - well some SI2''s - can be nice too - and will be just as bright and sparkly

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The hue in H colored diamonds are more visible in fancy shaped than rounds.
More noticeably when looking from the profile (side) of the diamond.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2007 3:13:01 PM
Author: DiaGem
The hue in H colored diamonds are more visible in fancy shaped than rounds.
More noticeably when looking from the profile (side) of the diamond.
Especially in shallow marquise, ovals an trilliants

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/17/2007 2:53:04 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 1/17/2007 12:52:13 AM
Author: DBM
And guess why there is a big jump?

Because everyone can see it and there is a big trade off.

I suggest you look for G-F and if you can get medium to strong blue fluoro - especially in G - that will help.

As for clarity - it is your call - but many SI2''s - well some SI2''s - can be nice too - and will be just as bright and sparkly
As for clarity..., some SI2''s that are based on black scatered pinpoints will give the H-I colors a whiter appearance and hide the tint....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results