shape
carat
color
clarity

H&A vs OEC: And the winner is....?

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought it might be an interesting thread for those of us who have switched from ideal cuts to old cuts. I almost sold my 2.37 G, VS2 H&A a few months ago, but changed my mind at the last minute. It's been sitting in my safety deposit box for months now since I don't want to insure it and generally only wear my 2.47 OEC these days. I took my ideal cut out of the bank a few days ago to wear it around for a while to see if I could finally commit to selling it once and for all. Before taking it out of the bank, I had basically decided that I was no longer interested in modern cut stones. The facet patterns are too splintery, I thought, and they lack character. Well, after wearing my ideal cut for the last few days, I think I've changed my mind. That's not to say I don't still love my OEC, but I do think there is something special about a precision cut modern round! If pressed, I would still pick my OEC, but I am certainly enjoying the brightness and crispness of the MRB. Here are a few pictures of the two stones, together and apart. Hopefully they will be instructive for others trying to make this choice!

_6088.jpg

_6089.jpg

_6090.jpg

_6091.jpg

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! I'm glad you're keeping both! The MRB will always be a classic, timeless piece! Maybe you could put the MRB in a 3 stone RHR to differentiate from your OEC solitaire?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love them both!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both beautiful!!! :love:
So glad you are keeping them both. :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are both so beautiful!!! :love: How wonderful that you have the opportunity to own and enjoy both! :appl:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! And I agree with your sentiment - I've been wearing my AVC most of the time (and loving it), and wore my RB H&A yesterday and quite enjoyed it!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent thread Dem - I think this is wonderful for folks trying to decide between the two cuts. They are both in their own right beautiful and it would be very difficult to truly choose one over the other. You are fortunate to have both of them in these large sizes to truly be able to appreciate the different looks.

I still count myself lucky that I've not been personally bitten by the bug - ha! - saves money that way too! I do enjoy seeing these cuts though - they are very mesmerizing. I still see some of those little crown facets in my own stone that remind me of some of the chunky pieces in OECs. I guess that makes sense in that the OEC was the predecessor of the MRB.

I do think that PS is an isolated world. Most people in my world do not know what an ideal cut stone is or what an OEC is for that matter. Here they are analyzed in depth and I wonder what the next choice of diamonds will be here - seems to be an ever changing landscape so there is hopefully something for everyone!

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock
This is a great thread! I often find myself trying to figure out what would be the one cut that I would enjoy the most. I posted a thread on this a while back - [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-the-most-beautiful-diamond-cut-of-all.174690/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-the-most-beautiful-diamond-cut-of-all.174690/[/URL]
Of course it is a personal choice issue for each person. After thinking about it a lot I am now leaning towards thinking that for me the ideal cut round might be the best.

This is because I have found the thing I enjoy the most about diamonds is sparkle and brightness. I have a lovely oval which is well cut so displays these characteristics. But I know an ideal cut round would be even better in this department.

So I have a couple of questions for you Demelza - between your oec and mrb, which do you find looks best in the widest range of lights? On my thread it was mentioned that the mrb was like a 'workhorse' - looking the best in the most lights. Do you find that to be the case- given that you would pick your oec out of the two?

The other thing I wonder is about the tendency of ideal cut rounds to go dark in certain lighting. Does this bother you? It doesn't happen with my oval so I wonder if I was to change whether I wouldn't like that.

By the way, both your stones are lovely. How fun to have one of each!!! I must suggest to my husband what a great idea 2 engagement rings would be.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you trying to give me a HEART ATTACK or something???!!!

:lol:

Hmm, maybe I have the answer, though. An AVR is an OEC that is basically ideal cut. Best of both worlds for cut nut, OEC lovers. perhaps???

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
They are both beautiful and I can see why you love them both! Good thing you have them both.

DS - You have to sell your diamond. It's a really good home!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
mom2boys|1367867133|3441438 said:
Yay! I'm glad you're keeping both! The MRB will always be a classic, timeless piece! Maybe you could put the MRB in a 3 stone RHR to differentiate from your OEC solitaire?

Well, I'm not definitely keeping both. The MRB might still be on the chopping block since it feels a bit wasteful having so much money tied up in a ring I hardly wear. Your idea of turning it into a 3-stone is a good one, though. In fact, Dreamer had the same suggestion for me. I have always loved Kristydarling's Leon 3-stone with pear sides!!

derbygal, missy, junebug, FPS, and ecf -- thank you for your kind words!

MGR -- You are very lucky never to have been bitten by the old cut bug! I also wonder what new trend will sweep through PS-land in the near future. It's hard to imagine anyone growing tired of old cuts, but I would have said the same about H&A's a few years ago.

oohsparkly said:
So I have a couple of questions for you Demelza - between your oec and mrb, which do you find looks best in the widest range of lights? On my thread it was mentioned that the mrb was like a 'workhorse' - looking the best in the most lights. Do you find that to be the case- given that you would pick your oec out of the two?

The other thing I wonder is about the tendency of ideal cut rounds to go dark in certain lighting. Does this bother you? It doesn't happen with my oval so I wonder if I was to change whether I wouldn't like that.

By the way, both your stones are lovely. How fun to have one of each!!! I must suggest to my husband what a great idea 2 engagement rings would be.

Between my OEC and my MRB, I would say they look equally good across a wide range of lighting. This would not be true of every OEC out there, of course, as performance varies widely depending on cut quality. I do not feel that my particular OEC suffers at all from obstruction issues which can be a problem with some old cuts. That said, while both stones equally well, they do perform differently. The MRB is a much faster performer. From a distance, it might appear brighter and perhaps more twinkly. My OEC, on the other hand, looks almost liquid with the broad flashes of color coming off the larger facets.

I haven't noticed that my ideal cut goes dark. I suppose sometimes in bright direct sunlight, I have noticed something that could be called darkness, but it certainly doesn't bother me. There is nothing about the performance of my H&A that bothers me. And I would say the exact same thing about my OEC. Assuming both stones are equally well cut, I would pick an OEC every time, but ideal cuts are much easier to find than a fantastically cut OEC.

I hope that helps and good luck with your decision!!!

diamondseeker2006 said:

Hmm, maybe I have the answer, though. An AVR is an OEC that is basically ideal cut. Best of both worlds for cut nut, OEC lovers. perhaps???

Step away from this thread! Seriously, though, I feel that we struggle with a similar dilemma. That said, I struggle not because I don't feel my OEC is cut well enough. In other words, I do not believe I would be any happier with an AVR. It's more that I really appreciate the different (not better) performance of an MRB and would miss having one if I were to sell. But it all comes down to money -- can I justify keeping both? That's the question.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza, thanks for sharing these pics. Your MRB has long been one of my favorites on PS, but then so is your OEC. I hope you'll be able to keep both and enjoy both for their different qualities! I sold off my MRB and still miss it sometimes.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have two equally gorgeous and stunning rings with diamonds that perform beautifully, but in different ways --- what a dilemma!! But as you say - if you can keep them both and appreciate them both for what they are --- DO IT!! :D They are like kids- you love them both for who they are ;))

I love both of your stunning rings!! Lucky lady!!!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Great thread! Personally, I love the shorter pavilion facet proportions in a modern RB, which I feel gives me that 'chunkier' look reminiscent of the older cuts.

gemtastic

Shiny_Rock
Both of your diamonds are gorgeous. I have to say that when you posted your MRB on preloved I stalked it....then you took the post down.....I was sad...... :errrr: (but secretly glad that it was off the market until I could save up a pile of cash :mrgreen: )

You are right, it is a lot of money to have tied up in something that you aren't using/enjoying regularly. I do think your OEC is a rare bird...wearing your MRB for awhile may make you fall back in love with her.....or make you realize you are content with just your OEC

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I certainly see your difficult quandry; both are beautiful yet it seems wasteful to have a very expensive ring that is rarely worn. Since you still love it and enjoy wearing, I like the idea of turning it into a different piece of jewellery. Pendant, RHR or whatever else that looks different from the OEC.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1367891997|3441706 said:
They are both beautiful and I can see why you love them both! Good thing you have them both.

DS - You have to sell your diamond. It's a really good home!!

Charmy, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your help! I am very happy for it to go to a great home! If I ever decide to get another rb, I will go larger. :naughty: :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demelza|1367894730|3441738 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:

Step away from this thread! Seriously, though, I feel that we struggle with a similar dilemma. That said, I struggle not because I don't feel my OEC is cut well enough. In other words, I do not believe I would be any happier with an AVR. It's more that I really appreciate the different (not better) performance of an MRB and would miss having one if I were to sell. But it all comes down to money -- can I justify keeping both? That's the question.

Oh, you know I would adore an old stone as well cut as yours and a few others here! I was just kind of kidding to justify to myself that I could be happy with just one diamond! :lol: :lol: :lol: I am with you 100% on the money issue. Right now, I just can't justify having both. But when the money tree sprouts up in my back yard, I'd like a H&A, an AVC, and a big EC!!!! :lol: But seriously, I do still love H&A stones. There is one I have had my eye on but I just can't have two 2 ct diamonds that are retail priced!!! ;(

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three-stone, three-stone, three-stone! :appl:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
If you can afford it keep em both. There is no way I could choose Pendant or just buy a match and have studs (joking) but that would be nice

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like both!

Do you find yourself wearing one more than the other?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Oh man. I could never choose. Thanks for posting the gorgeous pics though!

makhro82

Shiny_Rock
Goodness gracious! Just when I started thinking about an OEC for my upgrade. They are both so wonderful. You are a very lucky woman to have had such beauties in your possession!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Her gorgeous H&A stone is currently listed in the pre-loved section of PS, for anyone interested! :love: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results